Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy and Olds

dougwintz

Front.thumb.jpg.e5c8ea50e633b263138cdc1bChevy_side.thumb.jpg.4f63c87d04333ad1aa4Front.thumb.jpg.e5c8ea50e633b263138cdc1bI decided to build a couple of 50 era cars and chose the 51 Chevy and 50 Olds. It was like a tale of two builds the Olds went together pretty well. The Chevy was one of the worst designed models I every tried to build. Fitment problems all over the place. Was glad to get that one done!

Chevy side.jpg

chevyside.jpg

Front.jpg

InsideChevy.jpg

olds inside.jpg

Olds prof.jpg

Olds side.jpg

OldsEngine.jpg

Rear.jpg

ChevyEngine.jpg

Edited by dougwintz

Both of these are very nice builds.  Your paint and detail work is outstanding!  I'm somewhat surprised by the size-relationship of these two builds next to each other; the Chevy seems a bit oversized and "dumpy" next to the Olds.   I'm guessing that is due to the different eras when these two kits were issued as that Chevy kit is about 30 years older than the Olds kit is, I think. 

Wow, Mark. You hit it right on. The Chevy kit was a nightmare to fit together and yes, it does look overweight and the stance is too high, despite using the "lowering" blocks! Now it make sense with the age of the kit, and now the fact it's produced in China. Of course it couldn't be the way I built it, right? No, never, of course not :)

Nice work, they make a great pair. Recently I was standing in front of a pile of kits at the hobby shop, wondering if I should buy the Chevy or the Olds, or both, and eventually decided to go with the Olds because A: I liked the roofline and B: it's a new-tool kit with less issues than the old AMT offerings.

Sounds like I made the right decision :P You managed to make them both look very nice, though. I agree the Chevy could still use some lowering. It's a common issue with a lot of older kits...they all seem to ride sky-high.