Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tyrone Malone ramp kenworth .

I have read some things between the lines pointing in this direction on Ken Harris "Tyrone Malone And The Bandag Diesel Racing Team" facebook site a while ago so it could for sure be true.
Even tho' I have the original releases of the Tyrone Malone trucks, two Super Boss race trucks (one Thermo King version from 1978-80 and one Bandag version from 1981-82) , two  Papa Truck transporters (from 1981-82), two Bandag Bandit race trucks (from 1981-82) and two Hideout Truck transporters (from 1981-82)...it would be great to have them back and I will probably get at least one more each when and if they come out.

Wanna see pure heartbreak!? I just bought this Super Boss with painted body, off EBay. Seller packed it with no "cushion" space around it and this is the end result. Really a shame as it was painted and decaled very, very well! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ben: That's a shame, it looks to be a nice paint and decal job, well you might be able to find another rear body somewhere as I have seen some on ebay from time to time (it's the same for both the Super Boss and the Bandag Bandit except for the rear panel), but the decals are harder as no replacement decals has been done for the later Bandag version, the ones I have found are for the earlier Thermo King version (Modeltruckin' and Gooche has them).

Cary: Yes, if it's the ramp truck it's either the Papa Truck or the Hideout Truck K100 Aerodyne transporters, it seems a bit strange that they are going to do one of the transporters first and not the race trucks.

Edited by Force

Ben: That's a shame, it looks to be a nice paint and decal job, well you might be able to find another rear body somewhere as I have seen some on ebay from time to time (it's the same for both the Super Boss and the Bandag Bandit except for the rear panel), but the decals are harder as no replacement decals has been done for the later Bandag version, the ones I have found are for the earlier Thermo King version (Modeltruckin' and Gooche has them).

Cary: Yes, if it's the ramp truck it's either the Papa Truck or the Hideout Truck K100 Aerodyne transporters, it seems a bit strange that they are going to do one of the transporters first and not the race trucks.

Wonderful. Hope it happens. Thanks.

The Super Boss is currently on the operating table. All the body panels have been repaired, the first coat of putty and Tamiya scratch fill primer have been applied and sanded. Still needs a couple more coats of the Tamiya scratch fill primer before I can shoot some spray primer over the area and wet sand to check my bodywork. If that all looks good my only roadblock will be matching all four colors properly. I think I can save her though.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice save Ben.

Tom: Both race trucks were built from W 900 Glider Kits.
The Super Boss race truck is a 1974 KW W900, the hood and grille is mostly stock above the bumper but instead of a bumper it has an airfoil/spoiler, it has a wing on top and winglets on the sides above the fenders and a scoop on top.
The Bandag Bandit race truck is a 1978 KW 900, the grille is stock but it had square headlights that looks to be from a 1977 Buick Regal, the same type spoiler instead of a bumper as the Super Boss and scoops on top and on the sides.
It looks like the cab has been changed to a much earlier cab sometime on the Bandit because on the earlier pictures it has the low mounted paddle latch type door handles that came in 1972 and a white, blue and yellow interior and on later pictures it has the older high mounted door handles and a black interior
Both trucks had the same style rear body except for the rear panel/tail lights and a large rear wing.
The most challenging would be to replicate the small front wheels if you want to do a correct model in 1:16

Edited by Force