Model Cars Magazine Forum

1926 Model T Sedan - SomesortaRod - Finally Done.. Only 2months late!

Impalow

An upcoming show on Sept. 27th has a rat-rod theme class... Andy (

so its October  27th, is it done yet? :D

it looked great at Toledo, and it was nice meeting you. look forward to seeing it
(finished?) again at detroit 

Edited by Erik548

so its October  27th, is it done yet? :D

it looked great at Toledo, and it was nice meeting you. look forward to seeing it
(finished?) again at detroit 

hahaha.... It was nice meeting you too...  I can guarantee the chassis will be complete in Detroit... but it depends on how the body foiling goes.   I leave this Saturday for 8 days in Las Vegas for the SEMA show... if it wasn't for that i think i could have it done.... but if i had to choose between going to SEMA or getting this done... SEMA wins everytime, hands down.. :rolleyes:

Really superb work. I hope you find a better source for wheels. While wires are the way to go with this one, the poor quality of the kit wheels takes away from the awesome work you are doing.

I agree 100% on the wheels... but sadly at this point in the project I don't think switching them up is a great idea...   I am looking for other sources for future projects like this I am planing...  But that is definitely noted for the next one.   

I did have some luck with the pose-able steering last night... The "pins" I used are too small, and caused some slop. Im going to work up some brass bushings to hopefully remove some of the slop.  I drilled the backing plates down low and added some bent RB motion end links.  Although its not 1:1 scale correct... i shouldn't have to worry about tiny plastic arms breaking every time I transport it.

(you can see how the seams in the frame popped here.... its not bad at all in person, but this photo really brings it out... One of the problems starting to build a rat rod and ending up here, oh well, more notes for the next time)

Edited by Impalow

Anyone(except the builder of course)that would be critical of something is minute as a visible  seam showing on this project would be extremely petty.There are so many positive things going here that a visible seam does not detract at all.

Edited by misterNNL
poor grammar-my kindle changed the spelling

Similar things have happened to me more than once. If it really bothers you though I doubt others will notice, you might consider closing off some of the rail to engine gap with a thin plastic panel painted whatever color you decide on for the body. Make it obvious that is an added panel.

Thanks guys... we are always our worst critics...   good news is once the engine is in place, they aren't very visible at all...  I never really noticed until those photos anyway. 

Try looking on the auction sites for damaged Franklin or Danbury Mint diecasts. The wire wheels on some of those should work well here, especially the bigger diameter ones on the classic Duesenbergs and such

Thats a great idea... i have already picked up a couple damaged ones for other future projects...   Ill keep my eyes open for something that could work... I can always upgrade those at a later date... My only concern is getting the diameters the same, because this frame was actually drawn around the specs of these wheels... but its worth a shot for sure!

A last very little update before I head out to SEMA.... managed to get the steering done.

I drilled out the RBMotion rod ends to fit the 1/32 brass tube... then drilled the inside of the tube to accept the .020 pins...   cut the pins short enough i could insert one in each of the ends of the brass bushings.  Sprayed the drag link with some Alclad polished aluminum...   Once i got it all together... No more slop..   My plan is to add some photo-etched bolt heads to the pins during the final assembly.   Pretty happy with this for my first try..

Okay.. I'm heading to Vegas to look at awesome cars for a week and hopefully come back inspired...

• 3 weeks later...

Eric......i`m so glad I came across this thread.......this is such a very cool build......I love all your scratch built parts and modifications.......a really cool build going on here.

Thank you John!  I am a huge fan of your work and its an honor to have you looking at this build.  Every one of your build threads has inspired me in one way or another, for that I thank you.

After a bit of a break... SEMA and then the Motor City NNL.. I got back to work on this thing last night.   I finished up the engine/ frame assembly for the Detroit show, but i somehow didn't get any photos of that. I will update this with some photos later.   

I did get started on the BMF body finishing last night... tedious for sure, but so far I love how its going.  The plan is to get the outside done, clear it... then do the inside and wood trim around the windows. 

Body ready for foil...

A97CFED4-EED3-43F6-91ED-B4C411B01136.jpg

Foiled cowl... 

A04725CA-DCF4-4EAC-8DD6-F6676A1EB3DF.jpg

Got everything under the belt line done last night.

6FE6C4F1-EF6E-4A52-91CB-8F648DA754DF.jpg

I couldnt help myself and "brushed" the cowl...   This added texture hides the "foil"  look and the seams.  It was hard to get a good photo, but the look is right where i want it.

FB6DFF1D-EC79-456B-92B4-DB6DA854CDA8.jpg

and one more photo... cause i'm excited...  haha

Edited by Impalow
added photo

Thank you all!

Very cool Eric, not sure if this will help ,but if you rip the BMF instead of cutting it with a blade ,it will help hide the seams. 

IMG_7078_zpsmysbddxy.jpg

Thank you pat!    Yes it helps!   I actually went back and read your underglass post on this model before I started. The ripping is a great way to avoid noticeable seams...   Thank you so much for the help, and cultivating this idea.