Model Cars Magazine Forum

1926 Model T Sedan - SomesortaRod - Finally Done.. Only 2months late!

Impalow

Dude. That dash is incredibly cool. This whole build is intriguing so far.

..a while back I thought I'd posted a comment but I think it failed to post, so here it is again:

When I file photos of 1:1 rods that combine traditional, rat, and modern design features (ie patina, bomber seats, twin-turbo engine, low profile tires), I put them in a folder labelled "contemporary rods". Sure, 'contemporary' is a moving target and I might have to revise the label someday, but it's a good catchall term. It doesn't require that a rod be 'extreme', either...

Another label could be 'post-modern rod'. Post-modern art combines pop art, fine art, street art, advertising art, etc. without holding one over the other, using and re-combining the most interesting elements of all the other movements and time periods. Done wrong, it can be a pastiche of mismatched clutter. Done right--like you have achieved here--it can be a fun and purposeful exercise in expression.

I hope you're going to paint the dash dark metallic blue like the frame!

• Like 1

Thank you guys!! I really enjoy the feedback and insight.  Had a somewhat productive weekend.. its getting closer...

OH OK, SO YOU NEED TO HOOK TO A COMPUTER?

THAT MIGHT BE TOO COMPLICATED FOR ME :)

Yeah, I have to layout all the files in the computer, then send them over to the cutter..  for example this is what the dash file looked like.   By the way...Making this made me feel like a crazy person, which usual is a clue i'm doing something cool... haha

Raw assembled dash.

and with some paint and BMF on it.... need to come up with some gauge faces.

After that was done I started back on the engine.. remade the intake tubes out of aluminum then brushed it with a 3m pad, added the plug wires, belt drive and headers... the headers are alclad with some light heat staining.   Next up are the carbs and fuel lines.

Not sure if this will be done for Toledo... but im not going to rush it.

Thank you guys!! I really enjoy the feedback and insight.  Had a somewhat productive weekend.. its getting closer...

Yeah, I have to layout all the files in the computer, then send them over to the cutter..  for example this is what the dash file looked like.   By the way...Making this made me feel like a crazy person, which usual is a clue i'm doing something cool... haha

8E641C5F-E210-4A5B-88B5-4F09F016FB5D.jpg

COOL, WISH I COULD DRAW ON THE COMPUTER :)

I wouldn't rush it myself. Looking great..

Thank you carl!

Showing my age here but the final design on your dash reminds me of the table side jukeboxes you'd see in the old diners.

That was a bit of the inspiration... for sure... also thinking of vintage record players.

Beautiful work. Great job on the dash. The chassis is fantastic and worthy of being shown by it self You definitely do not want to rush this there is way too much fine work been done. Using the cutter is a great idea.

Thank you Bob!  I really enjoy the cutter... and i keep coming up with new ideas on how to use it.   Its a wonderful tool.

Beautiful work!!!  I'm just returning to this hobby after a 30 or so year hiatus this is one of those projects that makes guys like me go... "Ah, forget it! Check please...we're done over here!"

hahaha...Thank you... and don't go giving up, I've recently returned to the hobby myself, this is only my 3rd build back.  I'm absolutely overwhelmed with the advancements in the kits, paint and technology at the moment.  Its great to have this sort of freedom of creative expression. 

Please feel free to completely overwelm us!!

It will be at Toledo for sure...I don't know about overwhelming but we will have a few interesting things on that table. 

Edited by Impalow

Quick update from last night... realized the supercharger was sitting a bit crooked on the engine, so pulled it back apart and straightened it out.   While it was off i made a fuel block, and added some clear red fishing line to simulate fuel line.  Grabbed the other carbs from the Tweedy Pie kit (the ones with the funnels on them)  Cropped,stripped and drilled them.. I have the Replicas & Miniatures flame arrestors painted with AlClad chrome and waiting to be installed.

Coming along great this Eric, keep up the great work.....Now a stupid question, if its a flathead V8 how come you only got three exhaust pipes each side :huh:   Thought it would have four each side ???  As you can probably tell I don't know my flatheads much, im sure your probably right ! !

Lowlife ! !

Thank you all for the compliments! 

Please consider bringing along some of your printed/and or cut out pieces to display along with this very inspirational model.Thanks!!

Will do!  I actually forgot about the 3d printed pieces I have done... I will make sure to throw them in the box.

Coming along great this Eric, keep up the great work.....Now a stupid question, if its a flathead V8 how come you only got three exhaust pipes each side :huh:   Thought it would have four each side ???  As you can probably tell I don't know my flatheads much, im sure your probably right ! !

Lowlife ! !

Thank you Martin!  Hahaha.. Yeah, the Flatheads were quirky with the 3 pipes like that... Im not quite sure why, but i know that's how they were... The whole engine is wonky really, which I think creates its appeal.

No real progress last night... I tossed the flame arrestors on, and took it to the model club meeting.    I do have a funky idea for the fuel tank that I'm going to try and implement tonight.