Model Cars Magazine Forum

1926 Model T Sedan - SomesortaRod - Finally Done.. Only 2months late!

Impalow

Thank you all for the comments, compliments and words of encouragement. Brian, Al and Tom it was great meeting you and sharing our work, Toledo was an incredible and very motivating show... I'm already looking forward to next year.  

I wrapped up the tank assembly last night.... although i got in a "zone" and didn't take many in progress shots.  As fun as this was, i am glad its over... lots of fiddly little parts...

I decided to keep the "lid" permanently  propped open, this seemed like a much better idea than trying get to it and prop it open all the time.  I made the "hinges" out of some piano wire.  Then i scratchbuilt the latches out of .005 sheet and some strips.. I used a hole punch to get the circles.  Once they were made i covered them in gold BMF and glues them in place.

Next came the straps,  I cut strips of the .005 and pre-bent them to shape, fronts and rears leaving the loop end open on both. I found some old Detail Master "billet" air vents that would work as the buckles, so i threaded them into position and glued them.. Painted the entire assembly with Tamiya Flat Earth and followed up with the rust weathering powder and some wash, picked the buckles back out with some Alclad polished brass.. I threaded the front and rear straps into the wire hoops on the rack and frame,  glued all the loop ends closed.   Set the luggage/tank in place, and glued the front and rear straps together on top and the buckles.  I reapplied some gray wash in the buckle area, which was still wet in the photos.. but i was excited to get photos.

Like i said... glad that is over... haha... I think I'm going to create the leather inserts for the bomber seat next.. or maybe the wood floor... something larger.

Nothing like the finish matching the vision. Maybe do the seat cushions in matching fabric? Still leaning toward a NMF for the body?

yeah it came out pretty close!   I'm currently thinking just 2 different shades of leather with some shiny metal grommets, the flat earth with smaller hull red panels..   I'm worried bringing the LV pattern to the seat would make it too Beverly Hills, but keeping the tones should tie it in enough and not take away from the trunk....    The body plan is still BMF, but going to try a cleaner look... ill probably remove those welds, just keep a clean bare metal body.

You Sir, are ridiculous.  Ridiculously talented, that is! :P  I just found this build thread, and when I saw it was started by you I had to check it out......WOW!  Every single sub-assembly you have created has been a work of art onto itself.  As it is coming together I am looking forward to what you have up your sleeve next!  Thanks for taking the time to photograph and explain what you are doing and how you are doing it.  Absolutely ridiculous(ly amazing.)

I just discovered this build and now that i was able to pick my jaw up off the floor and get a few breaths in I have to say I am blown away by the creativity and shear workmanship in this thing, beyond wow holy molly mother of well you get the idea, i am getting my popcorn ready and will be here when it finally goes to under the glass!!! well done and very beautiful....

I'd keep that fabric pattern limited to the suitcase/trunk and not on the seats....the leather inserts sound great. I'm really enjoying how you're making each sub-assembly a model in itself.

This build floors me a little more every time I check in. Eventually I'll be so floored I'll have to start digging, haha.

I'd keep that fabric pattern limited to the suitcase/trunk and not on the seats....the leather inserts sound great. I'm really enjoying how you're making each sub-assembly a model in itself.

This build floors me a little more every time I check in. Eventually I'll be so floored I'll have to start digging, haha.

I am the same way like i said just happened upon this build and can not believe the level of engineering in it totally wicked....

Thank you guys!!!  Im really having fun with this one... i've pretty much given up on deadlines, It would be nice to have it done for Detroit next month but i doubt i will. 

I finished up the seat this past weekend... Repainted it with the alclad polished aluminum, made the inserts on the cutter, painted them with the leather tones, then added photoetched washers to simulate grommets.

Computer drawing in Illustrator

Cut and assembled upper cushion

Upper and lower with grommets in background

Painted.. no grommets

Painted with grommets

Seat tracks made on the cutter

Assembled seat... pretty much 100% scratchbuilt

Thanks guys!!!  I finally got some good focused bench time last night... My plan all along was to cover the entire body, inside and out with baremetal foil... give it a light scuff with some scotchbrite and then a light coat of some clear to protect it..     The other night i tried the grille shell and failed miserably at getting covered and not having wrinkles folds.. it just didn't meet my expectations.   

So after a few days of thinking of other options, I decided to try it one more time before giving up....  last night i had success.  Doing the entire body is going to be a chore.. but should be worth it. 

Here is a sample piece... left side is gloss clear, right side is matte....  decided to go gloss.

B20B9CA5-5185-4367-80E8-7EEE1D16A63C.jpg

Grille shell covered and assembled with the radiator. (sorry for the bad pic)

DA09F220-38A3-4DA6-80BF-2C2E449F4EE4.jpg

Found a good wood flooring material at work,  commercial veneer sample...  looks much better than the stained bass wood i was planing.

EE56A791-BB20-4353-AC6D-B31F367A4DA9.jpg

02F875FE-FEBC-42DA-9C96-8BC267D32701.jpg

Then I decided to scratch build a glass bowl fuel filter.... 8 pieces on this tiny little guy.  (Acrylic rod, a pin, some aluminum tube, a couple of punched styrene holes, and some brass tube for the connectors)  almost too small to photograph with the old iPhone...  sorry for the blurry pic

4D04B06D-4409-412B-89A0-2B3E349EE36F.jpg

Here it is installed, along with the grille/ rad...  ran a copper fuel line... 28ga wire

EE3BAE5B-26C8-4B68-9178-6153C9A7EB11.jpg

597C79A4-3B52-4358-8ECF-9E236EA11FA8.jpg

Edited by Impalow

Very nice work with the radiator and fuel filter.

For photographing small objects, i used a lens from old camcorder viewfinder. I used blue tack to mount it to my phone

20151023_002.jpg

Here's a photo of exhaust tips to my Porsche. They are 5 mm diameter. Only downside of using this method if the fuzzy edges on the photo.

20151021_001.jpg

Edited by Jurva

Very nice work with the radiator and fuel filter.

For photographing small objects, i used a lens from old camcorder viewfinder. I used blue tack to mount it to my phone

Here's a photo of exhaust tips to my Porsche. They are 5 mm diameter. Only downside of using this method if the fuzzy edges on the photo.

Woah thats a great idea!     im going to have to see what i have and give it a shot..

Wow. What an advantage it is to have that cutter. Holy cow. Amazing workmanship. And the veneer idea is genius. 

Thanks Rob!    The cutter is amazingly useful.

with your computer, can you only draw up 2D things like you did with the dash or can u build things like a steering wheel?

The cutter will only cut 2d objects out of sheets... you can create 3d objects by layering the 2d parts like i did on the dash...

I do know how to 3d model and i have recently purchased a 3d printer, but the quality isn't quite where I want it yet...  still trying to find its niche in my workshop.

Looking awesome ! You going to be at Indy on Sat. ,and have this there !?

Sorry for the late response mark...  No...  but I will be in Detroit in a few weeks with it tho.  

Keeps getting better. Love the seat!

Thanks Tim!

Very small update,  I haven't made a lot of bench time for myself lately...   but i did manage to get the "skid plate"  foiled.   Did something a little different here, I sanded the BMF with the scotch brite and then cleared,  then applied as usual... It worked pretty well, but the sanding did weaken the BMF and it was a bit more prone to tearing.. 

and then a mock-up, cause i haven't posted one in quite awhile.

The to-do list is getting shorter....  Steering linkage, Rad hoses, and some small detail items and the chassis is done.  My desire for pose-able steering is going to be a bit of a pain, but I hope worth it in the long run...  I picked up some RBMotion rod ends with the hope to make it more durable for transit to shows.   I'm hoping to get some time tonight to work on that.