Model Cars Magazine Forum

1926 Model T Sedan - SomesortaRod - Finally Done.. Only 2months late!

Impalow

Thanks guys!! Here is a quick weekend update. 

Body fully covered with BMF... Inside and out.

8D506A04-F7F5-4014-B65D-FF968A64EB81.jpg

3D56BEFF-DE0F-4819-9B72-355F9F763978.jpg

Then brushed with the 3m scotch Brite pad, and cleared.

E61C4C18-E9FA-4464-9E06-0910B245EB0D.jpg

B237AC67-8874-4E00-A913-214A43E2BEC4.jpg

I found very thin wood veneer at the local craft store. I stained it with some min wax polyshades, then cut some strips to make the inner structure

5CDECB05-D9EC-4DCD-9E51-85BD7FC84173.jpg

0CFFE640-FB2B-46C1-8911-7C298D58CE6C.jpg

8375B0AF-448E-456F-9588-7E23C2B9BA91.jpg

Edited by Impalow

This is not my genre or era of modeling, but I appreciate fine craftsmanship and overall cool model builds. This one has so many great things going on.....  Beautiful and creative work, Eric.  What is the next show that you are attending?  I would love to see it in person.

This is not my genre or era of modeling, but I appreciate fine craftsmanship and overall cool model builds. This one has so many great things going on.....  Beautiful and creative work, Eric.  What is the next show that you are attending?  I would love to see it in person.

x2

Wow, how is it even possible to cover whole body in BMF without getting major wrinkles to the foil itself? I sometimes have problems with small chrome trims and that's definitely nothing compared to this. Very nice job with the BMF and that wood looks very good inside the body, too. I can't wait to see how it will look on that super nice chassis, keep it coming.

Thank you all for the comments and compliments, I really appreciate every one.   

Wow, how is it even possible to cover whole body in BMF without getting major wrinkles to the foil itself? I sometimes have problems with small chrome trims and that's definitely nothing compared to this. Very nice job with the BMF and that wood looks very good inside the body, too. I can't wait to see how it will look on that super nice chassis, keep it coming.

Man, you must have the patience of a saint to pull off all that BMF!

Honestly guys...I found doing this surprisingly less difficult than I was expecting. Full disclosure, I am one of those odd people that actually enjoy BMF work.  The body lines were natural spots to break the BMF into more manageable pieces.  When it was all said and done i really just had to "rip seam" two spots a side, the top of the cowl and where the body curves around the back.

THIS LOOKS GREAT ERIC,  WHEN USING THIS MUCH BMF, DO YOU HAVE TO PREP THE SURFACE WITH ANYTHING?

THANKS

Thanks Tom, I just slapped it over the bare styrene and it seemed to work okay. I didn't want to introduce any new textures (paint/orange peel)...This body was old and quite smooth and shiny tho. 

Thanks John!     I am actually not sure what show is next, thinking its not till early next year?.  Are there any upcoming before the end of the year?   I'm always down to get out of the basement on a weekend.

That is looking fantastic. The work is really inspiring. So much so that I ordered a Silhouette Curio Cutting Tool to add to my arsenal. 

Outstanding Allen!   Im excited to see how other people use this tool... it opened a lot of doors for me.

when using this much BMF, you have to prep the surface with "Oil of Awesome". (I'm only kidding a little bit.)

hahahahaa.... no awesome sauce was used in this build.

Wrapped up the dashboard last night.. Had to make some modifications, evidently when i mocked it up previously I had the seat much further back.

Had to carefully cut about 1/8" off the back of the dash, to make it all fit and look natural.... eek

Then I re-did the the gauge panel, cut out a new bezel and used some brass BMF on it,  glued that on some printed gauge faces I drew up in illustrator..  I cut a new piece of .020 and covered it in BMF and glued the brass bezel and faces to it. Once that was in place I drilled out the center of the speedo for the needle, and added a piece of red armature wire to create the needle.  Final step was to add the domed lenses, those are made from craft store 4mm and 7mm googly eyes, cut the googly part off and used the clear domes.  Pretty happy with how it turned out... especially considering everything here was made from raw materials with the exception of the steering wheel.

Wrapped up the dashboard last night.. Had to make some modifications, evidently when i mocked it up previously I had the seat much further back.

Had to carefully cut about 1/8" off the back of the dash, to make it all fit and look natural.... eek

Then I re-did the the gauge panel, cut out a new bezel and used some brass BMF on it,  glued that on some printed gauge faces I drew up in illustrator..  I cut a new piece of .020 and covered it in BMF and glued the brass bezel and faces to it. Once that was in place I drilled out the center of the speedo for the needle, and added a piece of red armature wire to create the needle.  Final step was to add the domed lenses, those are made from craft store 4mm and 7mm googly eyes, cut the googly part off and used the clear domes.  Pretty happy with how it turned out... especially considering everything here was made from raw materials with the exception of the steering wheel.

4F83A49D-4E1F-40B7-8720-A2D0DF237067.jpg

That gauge looks amazing with the "exposed" gearing showing. Very nice touch on that. The whole dash is a work of art unto itself. 

Dude. Wow.

Love the dashboard even more, now. The gauges look fantastic. Clever using the googly eye lenses--I've used them as headlight lenses before, but never for gauges.

The body looks great too, with the careful foil job (impressive, that), and the wood strips. I'd love to find some veneer like that locally, but no luck. Might have to go online.

Dude. Wow.

Love the dashboard even more, now. The gauges look fantastic. Clever using the googly eye lenses--I've used them as headlight lenses before, but never for gauges.

The body looks great too, with the careful foil job (impressive, that), and the wood strips. I'd love to find some veneer like that locally, but no luck. Might have to go online.

They work for tailights too.Just paint the inside stoplight red.