Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Paints at Fleet Farm

Lunajammer

For those folks in the upper midwest, I just discovered an amazing display of Testers enamel paints in the home decor section of Fleet Farm. More color range and better stocked than what I've seen at Hobby Lobby or the LHS. Not marketed as model paints, specifically. Just enamels, not Model Master or acrylics.

Edited by Lunajammer
Mispelling of "Testers"

For those folks in the upper midwest, I just discovered an amazing display of Testers enamel paints in the home decor section of Fleet Farm. More color range and better stocked than what I've seen at Hobby Lobby or the LHS. Not marketed as model paints, specifically. Just enamels, not Model Master or acrylics.

Smelly enames... for home improvement? Yikes!

Might have to check into that next time I'm there, especially since I really have no local hobby shops anymore. The one closest to me is a Farm & Fleet, same company, though.

Don't count on it... I did a search at their website and there was no listing for Testors enamels...

Well, just because it isn't listed on their site doesn't necessarily meant they won't have it in the store. The Farm & Fleet in my area is known for having items not listed on their site in stock. The other farm stores in my area, TSC, Big R, and Rural King, are like that also.

Well, just because it isn't listed on their site doesn't necessarily meant they won't have it in the store. The Farm & Fleet in my area is known for having items not listed on their site in stock. The other farm stores in my area, TSC, Big R, and Rural King, are like that also.

Yeah, and someone said Meijer's had Duplicolor, which proved to be incorrect after our Meijer's opened. Just saying that you can't always expect it to be the case, especially if the company doesn't see a need to advertise the product through their website.

Ohhh Meijers, how I miss you so. They have Fred Meyers out here in Washington, its not the same. :(

They built a new Meijers near my parents in Michigan, it was very small compared to the older Meijer that was 5 minutes further down the expressway. The older one carried everything, i remember getting a bunch of automotive spray paints there at one time. 

Edited by Helper Monkey

• 1 month later...

Just an added tid-bit, but did you ALL know that Testors Enamels, are in fact made at the same paint laboratory as Rustoelum paints? Rustoelum, Testors, Boyd, Floquil, and quite a FEW "Finger nail polishes" ALL come from that one single paint lab! Granted, each are slightly different "bases", Lacquer, Spirits, and even Xylene. BUT ALL are "compatible" enamels...... I use all of them, and can and do spray them with my air brush. 

Sadly, I'm not a big fan of Acrylics..... I just don't get the outcome from them as I do enamels, BUT, acrylics make a GREAT weathering type paint for dry brushing, highlights, and or to go over chrome, and what fins to come out "chrome but the rest of the part a different color.

I've argued the point of "mixing" paint types, and if done right, you won't have any issues! You spray, enamels first ALLOW to cure, NOT just "dry" it must be cured fully. THEN you can apply anything over it. As long as the paint going over it isn't got a stronger solvent base! I have painted things with enamels, allow to cure, and then use water-based craft paint to weather, allow again to cure, and then spray a lacquer clear cote over it! -The finish? AMAZING!

Just a little food for thought!