Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lest We Forget

I was a contractor working in the Pentagon on 9/11. Thankfully no member of our team was lost or injured that day. Many other were less fortunate.  I was back at work at 5:00 am the next day doing whatever was asked to get the building up and functioning.  I worked many long hours the weeks and months following the attack. It was certainly a milestone moment in my life and something I will never forget.  Thank you for the remembrance Charles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Do you remember where you were on September 11, 2001?  I do.  I can't believe it has been 15 years and it seems like it was yesterday!  

Yep, just like Clayton said, I remember it just like it was yesterday. I was driving heavy wrecker back then, and was on my way to pick up a school bus in Barnsville, OH to tow back to the International dealer in Wheeling WV when the planes hit. I had just finished hooking up the bus and was starting back to Wheeling when I heard on the radio that the towers fell. After I got back to our shop, I joined everyone huddled around the TV in the shop's waiting room. 

I was working at a lumber yard, in the door shop as a laborer/driver, driving a 1 ton flatbed Chevy pulling a 16 foot A-frame trailer for hauling pre-hung doors. I walked in that morning, they were talking about it like it was Cessna that hit, at that point only 1 plane hit. Then once we got the shop rollin and turned the radio on, we knew how severe the situation. It was about an hour into the day when the 2nd plane hit. After that, the news of the Pentagon and Pennsylvania came in. No more work was being done, not even in the lumber yard. It was dead, no customers, no phone calls, very erie. By first break, the TV was setup and we all were sitting in a circle around it. The GM was there too. It was terrible to say the least. It just didn't feel safe that day. I dont/didn't remember driving home that day. It was really tough the next morning, things were still really quiet, they were for the rest of that week. 

I was at my office beginning to settle in for the day's work when my oldest son called and said we should look at TV.  My wife who was also office manager went home and got our small portable TV and we were aghast at what we saw.  We got the TV at the office in time to see the second plane actually hit the second tower.  And who could possibly forget Todd Beamer and the people aboard the plane that went down in Pennsylvania.  "Greater love hath no man than he lay down his life for his friends".  Jesus said that.