Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Del Rio

James2

image.thumb.jpg.466de7510404c3dc9729d6b1image.thumb.jpg.251d49d03d7f43679e5a58e7image.thumb.jpg.75d99f73d00c1cbb74149a08

The Monogram kit. I started with several sets of wheel, tire combos. But settled on these. After that the all important stance came next. Lowering the front was a bit of a challenge but I think I got it right for this build. Gonna be a basic grocery getter. 

I like your wheel choice. I'm also working on a Del Rio, and like you I have lowered the front end a little. Can you share what you did about the inner fenders for tire clearance ? This is my second '57 Ford and I seem to have a real problem with front tires clearing the inner fenders. I look forward to watching your build. What color or colors are you going to use ?  

Thanks guys. After cutting and adjusting the spindles and also reworking the steering linkage, I decided to leave the inner fender wells alone.

I kept the rear ride height stock so the front looks good as is. But as you said any lower and the wheel wells would have to be removed. 

Love the weathering on the engine!  And I like that the kit comes with the valve cover decals.  

Here's what I did 27 years ago to add those!  Back then we didn't have color printers, internet images  etc at our disposal. So I just hand drew it as best I could! Big advances in the hobby!

Thanks guys. 

Tom the instructions call for the air cleaner to be aluminum.

Is this acurate ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Fairlane-Convertible-/121763147971?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c59a630c3&item=121763147971

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Fairlane-SKYLINER-RETRACTABLE-A-C-/141778867266?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2102add442&item=141778867266

Check the photos in these two eBay auctions for very nice '57s! Great reference photos.   I'd say aluminum is probably accurate since it looks either gray or aluminum in the photos. Revell is probably right.  Mine was painted gray maybe 27 years ago. I just checked and AMT gave no paint instructions, and we had no Internet to reference then so I probably did the gray from a photograph.

James, For what its worth I have owned two '57 Fords at different times. Both were the 312. one with the auto. trans. ( a convertible ) and a 3-speed overdrive a Custom tudoor.  They both had the stock air cleaners when I bought them. They both were painted a flat silver color which aluminum color with a flat top coat should look about right. In both cases I have no reason to think that the air cleaners had been painted. The convertible was purchased from the original owners in about 1963. The Custom I bought as a second car when I had a service station in 1965. I was the third owner and I know the guy I bought it from didn't know how to check the oil, so you know he was never under there. I later come to know the guy who ordered the car in 1957. At the time this was a very fast car. 3 speed with overdrive, 4:11 rear end and 312 single holly 4 barrel all in the lightest body style Ford had. Talk about a sleeper.  Hope this may help you on your air cleaner color question.   

Yesterday I discovered that a local hobby shop carries Model Car World paint. Not just a few but, they have the rights for the paint. I mentioned the color I needed and he looked it up in the MCW book. It's not a special order color but not on the shelf either. 

I asked how long to get it in? Since it's not a SO a couple minutes! And then he went  in the back, mixed the color and came back with this...

image.thumb.jpeg.b55bc6002eb0e7df4390c59

Just like the old days at the body supply. 

Yesterday I discovered that a local hobby shop carries Model Car World paint. Not just a few but, they have the rights for the paint. I mentioned the color I needed and he looked it up in the MCW book. It's not a special order color but not on the shelf either. 

I asked how long to get it in? Since it's not a SO a couple minutes! And then he went  in the back, mixed the color and came back with this...

image.thumb.jpeg.b55bc6002eb0e7df4390c59

Just like the old days at the body supply. 

Coral Sand?

I've had a jar of that laying around for several years waiting to go on a mid 50s Ford.

I'll be anxious to see how it looks on the body.

Always thought it looked a little too "orange".

Steve