Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Pocher Mercedes building. Cabrio Special.

Zoom

This is my first Pocher build, even my first model car for many years. When I first saw the Pocher models I was interested, but at that time I was little short of money. But suddenly I get my eye on a kit on Ebay. Complete! Not!!! It misses the main body and floorboard. But I get a maroon colored body from Pocher-parts and a floorboard from Paul Koo, who also have a great DVD “how to build the car”. Without that I can guarantee that I have had problems J

My goal is not to do an exact scalemodel, (I don´t have the skills for that), more a decent assembling of the Pocher kit.

This thread is started in another forum, so some of you have maybe seen it already.

/Bo

014_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.91b0228e9e524fa

My first  problem was the wheel center hubs.
I have problems that they were not tight enough.
This was solved when the spokes come in place, I get some information about that.

001_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.39360d96b14f695

I didn´t like the big original air cleaner, so I bought a vertical cleaner from MMC.
I just cut of the pipes and mount it, as I saw it from the reference photos.
Then I realized that the out and intake has change places.

004_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.af7baf3c615e3da

I did some modification, razor saw/Dremel and using some left overs to fill the hole in the outtake and some adjustment on the intake,
Change the places of the out and intakes and turned them upside down.

006_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.c903e9add87e199

Now I think it is a little bit more correct, for the 540K.
I don´t know the right terms for the parts, but I hope you understand.

As I could see in the photos even the “fuel devices” has changed places, but I have no good reference photos that show where they are placed, so I let it be as it is.

I`m not ready with the painting and "washing" and the final mounting.
/Bo

Edited by Zoom
No more Photobucket

022_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.fa8655948b94ec6

I had problem with the spring to the pedal, so I take a small piece of a rubber tube instead, much nicer.

013_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.080906833b39f9c

018_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.0bfe726c08dfd5d

Change the straps for the generator and starter. New made from 0,3 mm aluminum and added new bolts.

027_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.45154f2341a1155

I think I will change the copper lining to aluminum. I did that on the fueltank.

035_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.d7d1f90848a7ed7

037_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.4630f1b2592f340

I made a new “oilstick” the original was a little too big.
When I saw the photos, there were some paint misses, I wonder who have made them.
I consider to "take away" the screws between the sparkplugs, I saw that someone have done that here in this forum :-)

/Bo

Edited by Zoom
No more Photobucket

004_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.3a4f823e528bac3

I have done my first wheel, wow.
It takes some time but I think it´s good.
Now it´s only 5 left

003_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.3419b09d81c868c

My hubs were much tighter when I have mounted the spokes.
But it was still a minor looseness. So I take of some 1/10 mm, from the hub with a file, now it´s perfect.

008_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.de80df7c559f21a

I sanded a little on the tire to get rid of the shiny black look. My car is supposed to have rolled on the streets.

About the white sides of the tires I have understand that white acrylic paint flat (any brand) works well.
I don´t have any airbrush, so I wonder if it is possible to brush the sides??
After that I have read Harry P. thread “Big Bad Benz” the answer is yes.
/Bo

002_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.33031b351822f6b

004_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.0c118259cd04227

007_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.90532237c7ee662

A small update, with some extras from MMC.
I think it looks good.
Still working on the wheels.
/Bo

Edited by Zoom
No more Photobucket

003_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.fa1bc07aad6e95c

007_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.3c919322e7383eb

004_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.b2cda7af7957b8f

016_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.b48c47dda0d80b6

017_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.0e704121916e576

I have read “all” threads that I have found about Pocher Mercedes building.
In many of these there are suggestions, that the radiator braces should be crossed.
I would like to try that now, when I don´t have the big air cleaner.

On the firewall I have moved the holes more to center, and placed it where I think it should be.
I tried with 2mm brass rod. But as you can see in the photos it look to big/thick.
I will try 1.4 mm brass rod, when I get my die.
/Bo

Edited by Zoom
No more Photobucket

On another thread about a Hubley Duesy, white walls were painted with gesso, sort of a primer for canvases for oil and acrylic painting. It has survived well over the years.  As for the crossing radiator to firewall rods, check your references and you'll see that where they cross, there is a metal clip that holds them together. 

Gesso is a ground for fine art painting ... it's acrylic and will last indefinitely ... however, because it is a ground it has a "tooth" to it for holding overpaint and is somewhat absorbent for permanence ... so if you use it, be sure to seal it ... I'd suggest a semi-gloss clear acrylic to offset the flat gesso finish ... I'd guess Future would be too shiny

... my take any ways ...

I used white acrylic craft paint on these wws... easy to use, water cleanup. No muss, no fuss. Why mess with gesso or other exotic "solutions" when plain old white acrylic craft paint (I buy mine at Hobby Lobby for around a buck per 2 oz. squeeze bottle) does the job perfectly well?

Harry's right ... i was describing the stuff if one HAD to use gesso ...

say, like a middle-aged graphic artist who once had aspirations to become a great artist and had a gallon or two in the basement under a few rolls of cotton duck for stretching over a frame to provide a surface for the said gesso providing the perfect opportunity for the above "artist" who long ago decided to settle down and have a family and provide for them and enter a career trade that afforded a roof and food for that family that in turn offered love and appreciation which offset any deep seeded frustration and resentment the middle-aged production artist may have had ... so he might use the gesso since he had no more friggin use for it anyway ...

006_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.af07249d5448324

Did a little test today.
My coming radiator braces is in brass, but I like them to be crome/silver.
I have never used BMF, so I try it.

I´m satisfied :-) nice product.
My plan was to paint them but this is better I think.
Maybe I do the "steering rod" to.

/Bo

Edited by Zoom
No more Photobucket