Model Cars Magazine Forum

29 Ford channelled over Deuce frame - Under Glass

Phildaupho

DSCN2845x

I really like how the roadster looks in primer and I am waiting for better weather conditions to do the final painting. I was relieved to be able to fit the radiator hoses so they clear the belts and fan as well as fitting under the hood. Something I have not been able to figure out is why I had to lengthen the hood so much even over the length of a Deuce hood. The 29 body only appears to be slightly shorter than that of a Deuce. 

. Something I have not been able to figure out is why I had to lengthen the hood so much even over the length of a Deuce hood. The 29 body only appears to be slightly shorter than that of a Deuce. 

The Revell frame seems to be longer than stock ahead of the firewall by about 3/8 inch. Sure makes it easier to fit those big V8's in there.

The reworked (and now much more traditional) chassis looks great and with the body in some color other than white the "look" of the car is coming together nicely. It captures the look and feel of a late 40's or early 50's lakes-car quite well. Looking forward to seeing it in color!

It's funny. I've been so programmed since birth that hot rods have bigger rear tires that when I see one (especially an open wheeled one) with same-size tires front and rear that it's really hard to wrap my head around it. Although, it does appear that in your first reference picture that the car has nearly identical tire sizes front and back.

B)

The reworked (and now much more traditional) chassis looks great and with the body in some color other than white the "look" of the car is coming together nicely. It captures the look and feel of a late 40's or early 50's lakes-car quite well. Looking forward to seeing it in color!

It's funny. I've been so programmed since birth that hot rods have bigger rear tires that when I see one (especially an open wheeled one) with same-size tires front and rear that it's really hard to wrap my head around it. Although, it does appear that in your first reference picture that the car has nearly identical tire sizes front and back.

B)

I will be using the larger kit rear wheels & tires when I convert it from Bonneville to street configurations so that will give it a completely different look. I have discovered that a real Deuce wheelbase is 2 1/2 inches longer than that of a Model-A so that accounts for some of the extra length in the hood but to have gotten the proportions closer to the real car I would probably have to shorten the frame and recess the firewall. A friend with Model A told me that often rodders would remove the cowl mounted fuel tank and then reverse mount the firewall to gain clearance for a larger engine.

I am sure looking forward to drier weather so I can get some color on this roadster.

Some people do reverse the firewall to gain clearance for larger engines but that trick only applies to '30/'31 Model A's which have full one piece firewalls. Despite the way that the kit firewall is, it doesn't represent an original '28/'29 which was 2 piece with the upper portion being built into the cowl top / tank assembly. 

• 2 months later...