Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford Woody

Al Hoffman

Got this one done for the our club contest last night. as usual I was working on it till I left the house29_Ford_012.thumb.JPG.63e9a63d33de3b062e

AMT 1929 Ford Model 'A' Woody. Spent a lot of time mumbling to myself about the way the kit seemed to have been created from a collection of parts from different AMT Model 'A's but in the end I had to admit that the short comings were not all that great. Things like: driveshaft too short, no rear motor mounts and no radiator hoses. Nothing major. The kit was built about 90% OOB with the only additions including wiring the engine, modifying the sunvisor to represent a fabric covered style and correcting the above mentioned short comings.

The finish on the wood work was done as follows: Tamiya Buff base coat, artist oils for the wood proper and then a wash of Tamiya Clear Orange which I felt added to the richness of the wood. Seats were done in Tamiya Red Brown with an over coat of oils to try to create a leather look. Fabric roof and visor were done with Model Master Chrome Black. The green metal is a mix of Tamiya colors, fenders a Tamiya Semi-gloss black. The white walls are hand painted with Gesso and the wheels with a Tamiya cream color.

I took a little "artistic license" with the wood on the underside floor. I think it was actually a protective black finish of some sort but I was having too much fun doing the wood and got carried away.

Now it's time to move on to our club's December same kit contest, the '57 Ford Del Rio.

Hope you enjoy this one and feel free to ask any questions.

Hope

29 Ford 015.JPG

29 Ford 013.JPG

29 Ford 016.JPG

29 Ford 014.JPG

29 Ford 017.JPG

29 Ford 019.JPG

29 Ford 022.JPG

29 Ford 020.JPG

29 Ford 021.JPG

29 Ford 011.JPG

Looks fantastic! Wish I could have made the meeting to see all the rest.

Since you mentioned the too short driveshaft, I have seen this subject come up in the past.  I think I recall someone saying upon research he found that the wheels were not centered in the openings but, instead came forward allowing room for extensive travel to the rear suspension. Remember the roads of it's day were very poor at best and the Model T was an all terane vehicle. At the center of travel the wheels were close to center of fenders. Just a tid-bit , does that make any sense for the too short driveshaft?

Edited by rmvw guy