Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wacky Racer '62 Vette - update 9/16

Jantrix

This is the next build on my hit parade. I'm honestly not sure what it's gonna look like when it's done.

Here's the plan. AMT dirt track modified chasis and drivetrain for the "Mousey" '35 Chevy kit. Body from the Sock it to Me Corvette kit and some Revell trans-am style wheels/tires.

So far I have narrowed the Corvette body 1/2 inch to fit the width of the chassis. Next I will lengthen the body 1/4 inch at the top of the front wheel wells. That will make my wheelbase match the modified chassis. Lot's of filler is coming I'm sure. It'll be like no racing car I've ever seen, but it will sure look fun to drive. More soon.

20150914_174812_zpswwxzxro4.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Cool idea. One question, is that roll cage going to be covered with a roof? Just wondering about a monkey bar sticking out in the open.

Nope no roof. Just the roll cage with some padding. Just like on a midget racer. In fact, this technically could be just called a Corvette bodied midget. Sorta. Kinda. Maybe not. :unsure:

Nope no roof. Just the roll cage with some padding. Just like on a midget racer. In fact, this technically could be just called a Corvette bodied midget. Sorta. Kinda. Maybe not. :unsure:

Gotcha, Rob. Since you called this a "Wacky Racer" vette, I pictured something from the old cartoon. Nonetheless, still something interesting to watch. :)

Cool idea. One question, is that roll cage going to be covered with a roof? Just wondering about a monkey bar sticking out in the open.

If you get a chance, see if you can find pictures of the # 112 modified known as the "Batmobile" that Gary Balough drove to a dominating win years ago at the Syracuse Mile in New York, that car is credited with changing the division forever and bringing about the current style cars.

It willgive you an idea of what could be done for the roof.

You can do a search for Gary Balough Batmobile images and get literally hundreds of pictures, including quite a few of some nicely built models of it.

Edited by horsepower

Okay I broke out the Dremel and the sandpaper tonight. I decided rather than stretch the body, I'd just open the front wheel wells dirt track style. Made for a lot less body work too. Gonna clean up the mods and fill the center cut. I'm thinking a bright green for paint. The front will be a little closer to the wheels when it's assembled. Lots to do. More soon.

20150916_210754_zpsw38cx4fo.jpg

20150916_210802_zpshbwy4u2e.jpg

20150916_210813_zpswrmsqliu.jpg

Edited by Jantrix