Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1964 Impala SS

THarrison351

I built one of these when I was really young (6-7) Or I should say I ruined a perfectly good model. It took a while for me to start building it, because I did something wrong (theft) and it was taken from me before I could start building it. I did eventually get it back and discovered the hard way, that candy grape is not meant to be sprayed directly on plain white plastic.

So Round 2 released it almost the same as it was when I was a kid, except the baby moon steelies where replaced with 5 spoke Crager SS or Appliance like mags. I've done all of my preliminary painting, now it's time for foiling and decaling. I wanted to try my luck with gold paint, because I have never been successful with this color and this one was no exception. I'm pressing on and will complete it anyhow. The colors are not factory correct, but I like them. More to come

IMG_0005_zpsymuecuvt.jpg

IMG_0002_zps1ykr9uey.jpg

Edited by THarrison351

Some detail painting and assembly. The interior is a quandary. It has an automatic console, a ball shifter (should be a tee and the transmission attached to the engine is a manual), and it has wells for the convertible top mechanism (a problem with most all AMT kits from this time. I know, these kit's parts design were shared with the promos. The 409 engine is simple and of course has an axle hole. Air cleaner, breather, and valve covers are supposed to be chrome plated, so I foiled them. My detailing is a bit sloppy, but I'm happy so far. Have to paint the exhaust next, which of course is molded to the chassis.

IMG_0001_zpsqfyvqcul.jpg

IMG_0002_zpstvycztny.jpg

More to come

Edited by THarrison351
add info

Looks good so far . One suggestion, try using lacquer paints like Tamiya or Testors One Coat lacquer paints. Really good stuff and I think they are easy to use. I have had some nice results with them.  

Carcrazy19,

I do like Tamiya paints, but I have boxes of (several hundred cans of auto touch up paint) that I got from closeout or damaged merchandise from my part time auto parts job. The nearest LHS  with Tamiya paint is on the other side (1/2 hour drive) of town. I'm cheap and lazy.

Thanks for the comments. I like this old kit too. The old AMTs may be simple, but the curbside almost always looks good without a lot of effort.

So, foiling is complete. The new bare metal foil is everything I've read about. It tears easy, curls like drill swarf, but man is it shiny:).

Next up, the final detail painting on the body.