Model Cars Magazine Forum

77 Jeep My first attempt at a lifted one

I started on this a while back...had some paint issues ...still dont like it...but I will just make it a trail queen instead of a trailer queen.

Working on the roll cage right now and sorting out what I want it to look like....also my first time to try binding the plastic tubing and all so we'll see how it all comes out.

Thanks for looking...comments good or bad are welcomed.

Dave

I made the shifter from a straight pin, seats are from the part box...I lengthened the drive lines and they have sort of working U-joints and a sliding shaft for the increased travel with the lift.  mufflers are from the part box..exhaust pipes are made from leftover exhaust form the parts box. did some basic engine details. fuel lines run the the tank to the pump..then pump to carbs.  thats about where I am at so far..

Is looking amazing. I'm a major jeep freak so I do have one critique. Please know I mean no disrespect with my critique. It look like you extended the spring perches to gain your lift while retaining the stock springs. I would like to suggest creating new springs with a greater arch to get your lift. 20150910_152157.thumb.jpg.7e4d090867ce99I created this one from a couple zip ties, a thin sheet of evergreen and an evergreen rod. 

1. To arch the zip tie punch it between your thumb and pointing finger with your thumb nail against the smooth side of the zip tie and pull the tie through your fingers. This will give the zip tie a nice arch. The more times you do it the greater the arch. Make three or four of them for one spring. 

2. Give each one a light sanding this will help paint stick better. 

3. On your main spring glue the rod to the end. (I found  it was easier to leave the rod lower to do this and trim off  the  excess when the glue set. )

4. Use your thin sheet (as thin as you can get so it's more like paper than plastic. ) to line the top main spring and wrap around the rod. This is to give your spring an eyelit to mount to your spring hanger. 

For the hammer use two strips of plastic or if you have I beam strips trim out the center creating an H in it.

The spring in the picture is the scale equivalent of a 3 inch lift spring. On the truck I'm working on I have it mounting to a 1 inch hanger and am doing a spring over design on the axle for a lift off around 6 inches. 

Not site if this will help or not but if it does I'm glad I could help. 

Is looking amazing. I'm a major jeep freak so I do have one critique. Please know I mean no disrespect with my critique. It look like you extended the spring perches to gain your lift while retaining the stock springs. I would like to suggest creating new springs with a greater arch to get your lift. 20150910_152157.thumb.jpg.7e4d090867ce99I created this one from a couple zip ties, a thin sheet of evergreen and an evergreen rod. 

1. To arch the zip tie punch it between your thumb and pointing finger with your thumb nail against the smooth side of the zip tie and pull the tie through your fingers. This will give the zip tie a nice arch. The more times you do it the greater the arch. Make three or four of them for one spring. 

2. Give each one a light sanding this will help paint stick better. 

3. On your main spring glue the rod to the end. (I found  it was easier to leave the rod lower to do this and trim off  the  excess when the glue set. )

4. Use your thin sheet (as thin as you can get so it's more like paper than plastic. ) to line the top main spring and wrap around the rod. This is to give your spring an eyelit to mount to your spring hanger. 

For the hammer use two strips of plastic or if you have I beam strips trim out the center creating an H in it.

The spring in the picture is the scale equivalent of a 3 inch lift spring. On the truck I'm working on I have it mounting to a 1 inch hanger and am doing a spring over design on the axle for a lift off around 6 inches. 

Not site if this will help or not but if it does I'm glad I could help. 

Thanks for the info Jake.   After I did it I didnt like it....I already figured for the next one I do I would make my own springs...or give it a try anyway and also go with the spring over the axles also.  I figured I would just keep going on this one and get it done and then make notes as to what i want to do different for next one.

• 4 months later...

I finally got enough work done for some new pictures.....That and I dont build as fast...well get the time I used to have....as I used to.

But I went with the stock cage, I need to work on bending plastic tubing and making cleaner joints...So with that I had to find some different bucket seats...the others were to tall.  So I found some in the parts box.  I also modified the doors into half doors after looking at a lot of online pictures these are what I came up with.  I also got my metal exhaust tips on.   Next will be the bumpers and clean up some of the paint around the wheel flares and add the rest of the body details so I can glue the body to the chassis.

Thanks for looking!

I got some more done on the Jeep this weekend...I was able to clean up the paint around the flares, added some decals...still have a couple more to add, and I got the door handles, hood latches on. I also got the Jerry cans painted and the details started on them.  Its getting closer to being finished.

Thanks for looking!

Dave,

I think you did a pretty good job on this one . It looks pretty good to me.

Be Well

Gator

Thanks!   Its turning out ok.  I did learn/figure out a few things that would do different on the next one I do.