Model Cars Magazine Forum

'25 TALL T Show & Go

Dennis Lacy

Have you ever sat down at your workbench with the intention of working on a particular project only start an all-new project that you hadn't even planned on? Well, this is one of those!

This funky little thing is gonna be an early 60's show rod that could also be a drag strip car. Kind of in the vein of the Orange Crate '32 Sedan that was a show rod first but did run down a couple of drag strips to prove that it could. The stance and "tallness" of it also kind of reminds me of that goofy Uncertain T show rod except this one won't look like a leaning barn after a tornado.

The frame started out as the custom hot rod frame found in all of AMT's double T kits. Taking a second frame, I stacked the second rear portion on top of the first to make the "Z" taller and lower the back. I also stacked the second front spring perch on top of the first to make it taller and drop the front. 

Hosted on Fotki

The Chevy engine block is from the new(ish) Monogram Slingster dragster kit. I cut off the molded on clutch housing and oil pan. The chrome bell housing/trans adapter is from the recently reissued AMT Chevy parts pack engine. The early flat head Ford 3-speed trans was cut off of the optional Dodge Red Ram hemi in AMT's '29 Roadster and the trans cross member is the corresponding part, also from the AMT '29 and cut down to fit the T frame. The tubular member behind that with the trailing arm mounts is cut down from Revell's '40 Ford street rods (coupe/convertible.) The front engine mounts are shaped from rectangle plastic rod.

Hosted on Fotki

The front axle is from the Revell '32 Fords with new end pins to mount the spindle-mount 12-spokes, also from the Slingster dragster. I added an upper steering link hoop made out of a cut down A arm for a future side steering link coming off of the cowl. The hairpin radius rods are from Revell's '32 5-Window pinned to the frame rails. The plain, chopped radiator shell is out of AMT's recently reissued Competition T Roadster parts pack body and I made a filler panel from .040" sheet plastic since the car will have no cooling system. 

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

The Halibrand quick change center section and axle tubes are from the '25 double T kits with the end cover plate from AMT's '41 Woody street rod. I made the spring hangers from .040" sheet plastic and the 25 T kit spring and shocks mount to it as they would out of the box. I did this because the kit spring mounts are part of the puny drum brakes and split wishbones that are all one piece. This will have ladder bars mounted to the axle tubes inside the frame and I wanted better brake detail. The '39-'48 Ford brake plates, wheels and slicks are all from Monograms "Blue Bandito" '29 Roadster Pickup kit.

Hosted on Fotki

The body still needs to be trimmed around the axle in the back and a little shave around the engine on the firewall then it will come down channeled the thickness of the frame. I just love that purple glass! The car will be finished in a pearl white and lavender theme.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Stay tuned...

B)

Wicked parts breakdown. Do you label your parts kits so you know which boxes are missing which parts? You must have a lot of kits missing 2 or 3 pieces each!

I'm fond of show-n-go rods, looking forward to seeing this one progress. Those 12 spokes are awesome. Might have to pick up the Slingster so I can do a Purple People Eater-styled rod.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. I'm having some serious fun with this. 

Wicked parts breakdown. Do you label your parts kits so you know which boxes are missing which parts? You must have a lot of kits missing 2 or 3 pieces each!

I'm fond of show-n-go rods, looking forward to seeing this one progress. Those 12 spokes are awesome. Might have to pick up the Slingster so I can do a Purple People Eater-styled rod.

Haha, no, I don't label any of my boxes but pretty much every kit that I have is missing parts. Believe it or not I'm a weirdo and generally remember what each one is missing. If I have multiple copies of the same kit and they're all missing parts at some point I'll consolidate them all to one box and throw out the parts I'll truly never use. (I can't tell you how many sets of Revell '32 fenders I've tossed, LOL!) I also made a rule for myself that any part I need from any kit I just take it and use it. It doesn't matter if it's a mint 60's kit or a current issue. I'm way past building anything box-stock so they're all organ donors. :lol:

I would love to see you do a Purple People Eater! I've seen that rod run down the drag strip quite a few times. It's wicked cool. 

Dang,  now you made me want to get back on my copy of a friend's full size T coupe that was originally built in the '60s, I've got almost everything together in one box, just missing the old top shift trans, but I think the original release '50 Ford f-1 kit might have one, it has the engine from the AMT '34 Ford sedan kit, rear axle is from a Revell model A woody kit, and the body and frame are from the Tall T coupe kit, you gave me the ideas I needed for the chassis, and the interior will be a bench seat with an Indian blanket cover, the original car was shown once way back then as an under construction car, all flat black primer except for the red steelies and the red motor. 

Keep going, I could use a few more good tips/ideas for this excellent build.

Believe me, Bill, I'm resisting the urge every day to NOT chop it. :lol: 

Sounds like a great project with all of the right vintage parts! 

I'll do my best to stay on it. I have a bad habit of getting started on a project then jumping onto another one. This one is a result of that. I guess it's Modelers ADD, or MADD for short which sounds about right! :D

The un-chopped roof is like nails on a chalkboard for me...but at the same time, it's unique and unusual.

In order to keep the windows in a pleasing "golden ratio" proportion, there are really only 2 ways to do these: stock height and hard chopped (oh, and maybe angle chopped. So 3 ways): Anything else leaves the windows a displeasing square shape. So with that in mind, I'd keep it stock height.

Modeler's ADD...ha! For me, the intial mockup and slice-n-dice stages are the most rewarding and exciting. It results in a lot of projects I hadn't fully assessed in terms of how much time they'd actually require to complete. Every day I have to tell myself not to start another 5 projects, even though the ideas are bouncing around my skull like a squirrel on meth.

Absolutely love the look of an Un-Chopped Model T Coupe, for some reason they look better to me than one with a Mailbox Slot Chop, they don't look all that bad with a real mild chop say 4 - 6 inches.   Like the purple glass sets it apart, gives it a '60's flavor as do the wheels and tires, they would set this one apart as a higher end built Hot Rod of say magazine quality.  Just like now custom wheels cost a bit go money which is why you see so many Hot Rods even really nice ones running Chrome Reverse Wheels.  Your stance looks right on the money!  Keep it up on this one.

• 2 weeks later...