Model Cars Magazine Forum

Casting small parts - help

Hi everyone, I'm interested in casting a few small parts for my own use in resin.  I don't want use any pressure pots to draw out air bubbles etc. I just want to keep it simple without any setup costs. Can anyone recommend the best product to use for this and the final product won't be full of air bubbles. 

I read a while ago on the forum someone cast small parts in epoxy. Any ideas on this? 

I'm no stranger to casting as I have cast my own urethane tires in the past for slotcar racing. Using smooth on silicone for the molds and smooth on urethane for the tires.

As long as your molds are properly vented, you should have no problems with bubbles. If you make your molds so they fill from the bottom and vent at the top, the resin will force the air out.  Stir your resin mix slowly to avoid adding air. Pour slowly but steadily to avoid trapping air. Both Smooth-On and Alumilite resins will work fine

• 2 weeks later...

If you have used Smooth-On products to cast your own tires then you know at least the basics of mold making and casting.  Smooth-On offers a range of Urethane resins for casting parts and Silicone or Urethane RTV rubbers for making molds.  I would stick with Smooth-On and just get what you need. When I need to cast some parts (I use simple 1-piece open molds) I use Smooth-On products.