Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Flip Flop Enamel Spray Cans - Good, Bad?

Has anyone used any of these?  What were the results?  Sometime ago, I picked up one of each - 2983 Multicolor Glitter Spray; 2985 Blue Flip Flop; 2986 Purple Flip Flop.  I was wondering if anyone had any success - or failure - using any of these?

thanks!!

Jonathan

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if anyone had any success - or failure - using any of these?

thanks!!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan - sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but I was wondering the same thing!

I just bought a can of the Purple over the weekend.  Thought it might be fun to give it a try. 

So far, I did a test of this stuff over a metallic blue, and the results were disappointing.  Just made the test subject look like a metallic lavender purple color.

Just read before posting that this stuff is intended to be applied over a black base.  I'll give it a try in the next day or so to see if that works better.

So far, not worth the money.....

Small update:

I did a test shot of the Testors Flip Flop purple over 3 pieces of scrap plastic

1. Testors Flip Flop purple over Testors gloss black enamel

2. Testors Flip Flop purple over blue styrene (no primer or base coat)

3. Testors Flip Flop purple over "Nighthawk Black Pearl" by Duplicolor (an OEM Honda color)

The results were pretty much the same.  The test with the Duplicolor base coat gave some visiaul depth, but hardly the Flip Flop effect one might have hoped for.

Pics to be posted soon.

OK - here are some (lousy) iPhone pics:

1. Testors Flip Flop purple over Testors gloss black enamel:

photo TEST1_zps7kcg7lm8.jpg

2. Testors Flip Flop purple over blue styrene (no primer or base coat):

photo TEST2_zpsiorsgpbx.jpg

The front side for comparison:

photo TEST3_zpsgz39beaz.jpg

3. Testors Flip Flop purple over "Nighthawk Black Pearl" by Duplicolor:

photo TEST4_zpsbdcurepz.jpg

The results were had to capture in a single pic, but tests #2 & #3 offered to most "effect".  The weather this past week hasn't been cooperative for direct sunlight pics either.

Since its paid for, I will be using the method in test #3 for an upcoming build.

The product is still below my expectations and would not waste money on the product again.  Would recomend buying a single can of Metalic Purple instead of Testors 2986 Purple Flip Flop + a base coat.

SC