Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bird of Paradise

FordRodnKustom

I am about to throw up at the sight of those decals (rowan and martin laugh in anyone? but about 5 years too late which was par for the course) but what is the deal with the rest of the kit? looks like there is an engine insert and also a separate engine. can you build it simplified or full detail? or is the "real" engine for display only? never seen both included in a kit. and I sure as heck ain't gonna spend my money getting a closer look at this one

thanks!

jb

I am about to throw up at the sight of those decals (rowan and martin laugh in anyone? but about 5 years too late which was par for the course) but what is the deal with the rest of the kit? looks like there is an engine insert and also a separate engine. can you build it simplified or full detail? or is the "real" engine for display only? never seen both included in a kit. and I sure as heck ain't gonna spend my money getting a closer look at this one

thanks!

jb

The engine insert is just a part left over from the '70, which was available only as a curbside in the Motor City Stocker series.  

Edited by Rob Hall

All re-issues of the AMT 63 Impala include Both the Promo/craftsman engine insert for the chassis

as well as the engine to place under the hood.

I am not sure though if they ever corrected the lack of Radiator wall/firewall.

I have the Prestige issue and the one after that, but none of the later issues.

I used one in a stretched Monogram 59 Impala chassis for

my Resin (Miller Memorabilia) 60 Olds 98 Convertible

Here's hoping if they Retro-Deluxe this one they punch out those cast in place tail lights

and tool up separate lenses.

Due to the shape & detail it is IMPOSSIBLE to make them look good as is

They are too small, and have too deep  an inset, and center to foil

and use clear red paint!!

I am Not sure simply painting them flat red will look too good either!!

If I can get a set of Original lenses, Or resin copies, I will drill them out

on ALL of the bodies I have!!

Amazing. 1971 decals offend. Probably hard to sell T-Bird kits in 71. >

Building tip- don't put them on. 

Thanks yet again jb for hopping in a thread to tell us a kit is stupid and you won't buy it. I'll alert the media. Good thing it's not a showrod.

Here's 2 awesome builds, first by Dennis (dino246gt), the Landau by Ron Hamilton. See this thread: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/6701-model-king-1971-thunderbird/

Wish they'd put the decals on just to annoy people. 

If those don't inspire you, well, why you reading this thread? :D

P1130130_(Large).JPG.ddf8a42844b90afa27b2007_0915momameetingoct20070012.thumb.jp

Edsel, this AMT '71 TBird as well as the '71 Torino and '71 Mach 1 were first designed as a dealer promo. With a soldering iron, you could assemble it as a promo by sealing the hood and using the engine plate.

Only difference is that the dealer promos were made of Cycolac instead of styrene.

Brilliant! don't use the decals! now why didn't I think of that?

because...without the decals you still have a very dumb looking sled of a car. to think Thunderbird once was a proud label. this one was well into the thunderturkey years. the decals actually help conceal that fact, so it gets points as a clown car.

always willing to help you out Keyser...which way did you come in?

I am sure these will sell in the tens. not tens of thousands, tens.

jb

I like the decals... I can use 'em for my hippie van I'm working on!!! 

She's definitely a beauty in black/charcoal gray. I'd love to do up one in red or even an egg-shell white like my aunt had. I've just now got one in my stash so it will be awhile before I get to it tho.

More jb offended than you Harry. I personally don't care either way, I don't use them. We all have opinions, it's where a thread not critiquing 70-71 T-birds but discussing how nice it is to have back doesn't seem logical to comment the kit is "whatever, and I'm not buying it".  If you don't like it, fine. But just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's trash. Sniveling comment aside. T

I posted 2 very nice builds from members here (nobody commented on those) and you and jb more hung up on the decals than pausing to consider others have differing opinion. I dislike '70's cars and ignore '80's but a few are cool based on 1:1's and nice builds like these. 

But, that's just my opinion :lol:

That and 1/4 of the posts in this topic are yours and jb's about a topic neither of you care for, not discussing kit but proselytizing at us that do like it for our erroneous ways.  

I like the builds.

The Grey better than the Black.

I see this kit finished in the awful "Powder Blue" that was a Ford colour for the 70's/80's.

Oddly, I'll bet the 'Kats at AMT' have guessed that those "awful" decals will sell a bunch of these kits.

I'm betting they have guessed right, too.

Amazing. 1971 decals offend. Probably hard to sell T-Bird kits in 71. >

Building tip- don't put them on. 

Thanks yet again jb for hopping in a thread to tell us a kit is stupid and you won't buy it. I'll alert the media. Good thing it's not a showrod.

Here's 2 awesome builds, first by Dennis (dino246gt), the Landau by Ron Hamilton. See this thread: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/6701-model-king-1971-thunderbird/

Wish they'd put the decals on just to annoy people. 

If those don't inspire you, well, why you reading this thread? :D

P1130130_(Large).JPG.ddf8a42844b90afa27b2007_0915momameetingoct20070012.thumb.jp

Christian,

I appreciate the comments made about my builds. Personally, I like this series of Thunderbird. My uncle had a White '70 with a Black Vinyl Roof and Interior, and one of my Dad's friends had a Dark Green '71 Landau. I liked the kit, but I wish that AMT had seen fit to do an accurate engine with an automatic transmission. When I built a '68,

which is based on the same tooling, I adapted the engine from the AMT '66 Fairlane GTA, which had a C6 transmission.

I have four of these kits, Two AMT Motor CIty Stocker '70's, an original '71 "Bird of Paradise" kit, and one of the Model King kits, so I am not in the market for them. However, I would love to get one of The Modelhaus Resin '67 4 door to do a build on though. 

Edited by Ron Hamilton

I have the Motor City Stocker '70, the '67-69 annuals, the Modelhaus 4dr '67, the 'Allison Thunderland' MK drag car issue (to use the body to restore the '69), this new issue and the MK '71 issue...I have no interest in the decals, but I love Thunderbirds and other big '60s-70s Fords.

That and 1/4 of the posts in this topic are yours and jb's about a topic neither of you care for, not 

discussing kit

but 

proselytizing at us

that do like it for our erroneous ways.  

Right there is where your logic falls apart. Apparently you think that only people who like a particular kit should be allowed to discuss it.

The reality is, a "review" contains both positive and negative opinions of the subject being reviewed.

OK, now 7/19 posts are you and jb. 

If you don't like kit, ok, say so. That doesn't make it stupid. That's rude, and what causes the breakdown of threads like this. As a mod, one would think you could tell difference. It's a discussion board. Not a "declare my unwavering opinion without discussion or acknowledgement of others". 

I'm done here. Back to the kit. Either of you free to comment on quality of builds. Or, most likely, not. You do you.

Ron, the Landau was neat car, not overdecorated. A bit of a barge, but pretty. Guy had a dark metallic red one, dropped like Dino's that was decades ahead of it's time in late '70's early '80's. Never knew how to get the roofline until your comments about the 67-69. The 2 models you guys did brought that 1:1 to mind, and I've got plan. Thanks. 

Nice job on the Landau Ron. Sleek yet elegant, just as the 1:1s were.

I see that some folks here don't like the kit and/or the decals and that's OK, everyone has their opinion and I respect that. I like all T-Birds, no matter the year and am glad to have this kit. The decals? well I doubt I'll be using them on it.