Model Cars Magazine Forum

Challenger Pro-Touring

sbvwfanatic

This build originally started as a quick build to get me motivated. I have been stalled on my VW builds.

104_3883_zps1cf6e137.jpg

Things quickly got out of hand when I came across this 1:1 Challenger.

1970DodgeChallenger_zps2a404191.jpg

The challenger kit came w/a spare hood for the super charger option and I planned on using it to make a heat extracting hood from scratch.

I then remembered I had two Revell Shelby Series 1 kits I'd purchased just for the wheels, and the hood had a great heat extractor that I could graft into the Challenger hood.

104_3909_zpsf610aa88.jpg

Time for some mock-up

10313540_10203624207225348_2787651217908

And grafted on the rear section of the second hood.

000_0040_zps442e281b.jpg

And over kill on the putty...(i was in a hurry.)

Edited by sbvwfanatic

Did a quick test spray of the hood to see where I was at with shape/smoothness.

Some pin-holes to clean up but cleaner that expected.

I should have stopped here and finished the quick build but I still have the Shelby 1 box sitting there, making me think; "I can't go old school leaf-spring chassis with this cool hood...:"

The Shelby 1 chassis needed very little trimming.

Used 3 front panels from one Chassis, two from the rear of the second.

Extended Shelby chassis compared to the stock Challenger.

My initial plan to just patch the small section of the grafted Shelby chassis went awry as it warped. So I glued a chunk of styrene, clamped down to a flat surface, then shaped it as it sits now.

At this point I stepped even further away from the quick build and ordered a Viper ARC to donate it's V10.

I grafted on the axle tunnel and rear trans-axle of the Shelby.

And still leaning towards trying to do something different In stead of the ARC intake, I wanted something similar to this (its a BMW V10)

At the time I didn't have the extra money to purchase the various real aluminum velocity stacks, (close to $20 bucks as I'd need to purchase 3 sets) So I scavenged these from my parts bin.

You can see in this mock-up the V10 will sit back in the chassis, creating the need for more scratch building/modifying

More mock-up of the motor/chassis. I recessed the cowl and will add more detail as the build moves along.

20150808_164941_HDR_zps4nziibop.jpg

Not sure I like the stacks silver/aluminum. And I tried on the ARC valve covers.

Some paint on the motor. I had the headers on to test fit against the chassis but I actually like them white. I think I'll paint them flat white then use Tamiya weathering kit to add some heat detail.

20150823_161901_HDR%201_zpsr19zosmt.jpg

And the stack painted black. It's harder to see them but I like the black better. I'll add fuel rails etc to bring more detail to the party.

20150823_163553_HDR_zpsgfruhrji.jpg

Edited by sbvwfanatic

More Chassis work. Again the Shelby kit came through.

20150712_123613_HDR_zps11jf0eiz.jpg

The puny Shelby disk breaks on the left, happen to fit perfectly, snap right on, and with the exact offset for the Aoshima wheels I finally decided on.

Glued them onto the back of some parts-bin Fujimi disk breaks.

20150712_124335_HDR_zpsgnwywdzy.jpg

And quick mock up of the wheels.

20150708_202524_HDR_zpsoq70kxlm.jpg

The wheel centers painted flat black and the disk breaks painted yellow like the valve covers. The car will be a light gray and I like the yellow gray contrast.

20150820_171453_HDR_zpsn6zxsomd.jpg

20150820_171534_HDR_zpsvhmfm39p.jpg

Edited by sbvwfanatic

Got a little work done this weekend but was thrown off when one of the neighbor hood kids spotted me in my garage, asking where my daughter was and if she could play. As kids are curious, asked what I was doing? Me: working on my model cars. Her: Your what? Me: My model cars. Her: You mean toys? Me: Yes, (laughing) toys.  But then she starts picking up pieces from my work table, some w/recently glued/painted, asking what they are....:blink: 

Tried to drop a few hints, politely, not to touch and that I wanted to be left alone, (I get so little time to build) but she didn't get it. So I had to stop working on my build, close the garage and act busy so she would go away. Funny, but frustrating at the same time. 

Maybe next weekend.