Model Cars Magazine Forum

My old Revell 56 Mercury 1/32

HotRodaSaurus

I built this a few years ago, just thought I would like to show it.

It is an original 1/32 multi piece body that goes together ok but needs patience. The body is painted rattle can acrylics and I added some clear plastic to form the windshields and metal foil for the trim and where the chrome was worn

P2260300.jpg

P2260297.jpg

Thanks for al the compliments:). The sides of this were warped outwards a little, like an almost straight banana so getting it together was a bit of a job. 

I also built the re-pop Ford that went together easy and the Continental MkII which looks gorgeous. I'll dig it out sometime.

I built all the reissues when these were re-popped some 20 years back why were the mercury and Buick left out of the series? Anyone know?

I built all the reissues when these were re-popped some 20 years back why were the mercury and Buick left out of the series? Anyone know?

I'd assume that the molds are either missing or required a lot of work.   I found old built ups of both the Merc and the Buick in a box of small scale and odd manufacturer models. A guy at a show had about a dozen in a beer case.  I was looking at a Premier Ford Anglia and the guy said, "$20".  I thought he meant for the Anglia, he continued, "for the box".  I got that $20 out quick!  I only discovered that those two hadn't been issued later. A real lucky day!

I believe that once Revell modified the Mercury and the Buick versions into customs (circa 1960) , the tooling may have been too expensive to refurbish back into stock versions again. Fortunately, over the years, I've been able to find all the 1955 and 1956 versions of these kits in unbuilt condition. 

I think that the 1955 tooling was probably modified to produce the 1956 versions so they, alsowouldnt be feasible for reintroduction.