Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra 427 '66 Sebring - 4/21 Finished

afx

Since I'm in a Cobra mood and I had to surrender my Dragonsake to the resin caster I thought I would scratch that itch by taking on a 1/25 scale Cobra 427.  Revellogram offers a very nice 427 but it is 1/24 scale.  Since I have a few 1/25 scale 289 Cobras in my collection I really want a 1/25 scale 427 to keep everything in scale.  Here the scale difference is obvious.  The gray car on the right is the AMT Cobra, middle car is the Sunny 427 and the red car on the left is the Monogram kit.

DSCN2966

Edited by afx

The Sunny/Minicraft kit doesn't get much love and while some of the criticism is deserved I think (hope) I can build a respectable big block Cobra. 

Personally I like the Sunny body  Here it is a compared to the Monogram.

DSCN2967

I don't intend on correcting every discrepancy in an effort to create the ultimate 1/25 scale 427 but I do want it to look the part to any knowledgeable Cobra fan.

new1-vi[1]

Edited by afx

The Sunny kit is based on the AMT kit and this is where the problems begin. The AMT kit (which I also like very much) is a small block (260/289) chassis and as such used the leaf spring suspension.  The big block (427) car ran the updated coil spring suspension.  So the first order of business is the attempt the suspension conversion. I have modified the front suspension components from an old glue bomb Monogram.  Here compared to a stock AMT chassis you can see the differences.  Note my modified suspension is still missing the coil over shocks and the steering tie-rods.  

DSCN2968DSCN2971

Edited by afx

Thanks Ray & Shay.  I know there are some passionate Cobra fans on this forum, including myself and I won't meet everyone's expectation on this build I am sure. Not trying to set the bar just raise it a bit.

Edited by afx

Looking at the first pic with the 3 bodies, the difference in the rear of the bodies between the AMT and the other 2, is that because of small block versus big block?

It is Robert.  The big block car had both front and the rear fenders widened to fit larger tires.  In fact they increased the width of the whole car to accomidate the bigger engine. They also beefed up the chassis by increasing the main fame tubes from 3" OD on the SB chassis to 4"OD on the BB chassis.

Towards the end of the Shelby contract  AC cars did a short run of SB engined cars using the BB coils spring chassis.  They called their car an AC289.

Edited by afx

Thanks Len & Carl. 

I plan to make the front suspension fairly accurate since it is visible in the engine bay and from underneath.   I am taking a bit of a short cut with the rear suspension using the leaf springs in lieu of fabricating the upper A arms which would be almost fully obscured on the completed build.  I hope I have room to add the coil overs at the rear suspension. Some reference photos for comparison.

vintage78 Cobrachassis 10008684d1097913005-building-original-427-chassis-trunk-p002 2

Edited by afx

love the vintage photo of the greatest frame under the greatest car!

is that a dana diff?

I too have the sunny car, and thought the same thing about it being AMT based

the IMC/TESTORS cougar II also has a n AMT frame of sorts

lookin 4ward to your build!

Yea Mike the Cougar II was built on a Cobra leaf spring chassis CSX2008 and the IMC kit is indeed based on the AMT chassis.  Here is a picture of the Cougar II chassis from Bill Geary's excellent build of that kit.

P4162967-vi.jpg

Edited by afx

AC had to modify the foot boxes to make room for the 427.  Of course the Sunny kit doesn't includes these mods.  The interior on the right is the kit part, the one on the left I have modified.

DSCN2975

I now have room (I hope) to squeeze in the Revel Parts Pack 427.

DSCN2977

Thanks Carl & Dave.

Started modifying the Monogram parts to fit the Revell engine block.

DSCN2981

Plan on using the Monogram hood as well.  A quick test fit shows everything should fit under the hood. 

DSCN2982

Edited by afx