Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return to the hobby warmup, 32 roadster

68shortfleet

Well, a few of you may have read my Intro thread as a new member, Or maybe saw my kit trade thread. It took me a little while to decide on which kit to build, but I finally decided that since the last two kits I built ten years ago were Revell 32's that another Revell 32 would be a good warmup. The last two I built were a 32 roadster that is box stock except for the tires/wheels form a Ferrari F40, the other is a 32 3 window that I channeled over the frame, otherwise all kit parts.

So, for this build I am again building the roadster kit. This time it will be channeled alot and lowered suspension also. Color is Testors Olive Drab. Pobably going to get gloss coated though. Plan is to again use all kit parts, but that could easily change.

Teaser pic to get the thread started.

20150921_230516_zpssyrg4qfb.jpg

Edited by 68shortfleet

Spent some more time on this the last couple days. Got the body into gloss clearcoat, I really like the olive drab in gloss. However, my second coat of clear went on WAY to thick. I got a couple of runs in it and lost some detail lines. I have a feeling this one is going to be taking a purple bath. If it does, it will ge the same color again.

In the meantime, I am continuing to assemble the things that do not get attached to the body. I am not so sure that i am happy with some of the chassis, mainly not liking the chrome on it. Just doesn't seem to fit with the olive.

On the other hand, this was intended to be a motivating completion build, and here I am not happy with stuff on it. I seem to recall feeling this way years ago and quite building for a while. Not giving up this time. So, I went and got a new detail brush, some quality CA, couple of paints, and looked at an airbrush. 

Quick mock up picture. I am liking this color in gloss. Tried something new and rid it of a lot of "chrome", and painted the windshield frame, license frame, taillight housings, headlight housings flat black. Now I cant decide if maybe I should have used gloss on those too. But I like the look of the black on those parts so far. Also like the ride height I ended up with.

I am having issues getting the wheels to fit the spindles. The rears are really sloppy, but the fronts won't even go on the spindle yet. Feels like I am going to break the front axle trying. I think I am going to dip the spindle in purple power to get rid of the chrome and hope the diameter is reduced just enough that the wheels fit properly.

So, in this picture, everything is just propped into place, like the windshield frame, grill shell, front wheels not snapped onto spindle, body just resting in place.

20150926_023437_zpsgsb89rer.jpg

And to top it off, this project has been boxed up for a few days. Off to do the head gaskets in my daughters Subaru, so I need the workbench space.

Edited by 68shortfleet

• 4 weeks later...