Model Cars Magazine Forum

78 Cadillac - 10.Oct, the grille

peekay

Thanks a lot Dave and Mike.

Mike the clear (and black) is out of the can and if I could take a more in-focus photo you would see that I have a fine-ish orange-peel in all these surfaces. I've never been able to do it any other way and have simply learned to polish them out - although that sometimes doesn't go too well either; the Coupe DeVille has a couple of spots where I've polished through to primer and I've managed to make it worse trying to touch up. Oh well.

I've just ordered some 2K clear from Standox in Germany in the hope of overcoming such problems.

Just a quick update. I got the grille and rear bumper detailed. A little sloppy in places but it might be about as good as I can get it.

I have two of these kits and noticed that one had the sun-roof glass and the other not. I wanted to use the piece with the sun-roof but it had a cracked rear window so I removed the rear segment and replaced the three rear windows with clear sheet. I have also found appropriate mirrors in my parts box - the kit is an unassembled promo with 20 pieces (that's including the tyres) so it didn't have mirrors. I will probably now construct poseable steering.  

Thanks Steve, Cliff and Carl.

In 1974, when this style was new, I remember thinking they looked too square and I didn't appreciate all the vertical lines - but they've grown on me. I'm still not sure if this is a 77 or a 78.

Some other models I'm working on, all fresh from the paint booth.

The Eldorado was done with Gravity Colours Alcoa Aluminum with TS13 clear, not yet polished out. The Alcoa has very fine metallic particles and I'm using to mix other metallic colours.

715d26c3-abfa-4e28-b358-81d0dd30c860_zps

The Nomad was done with Zero paints - their Extra Fine Metallic Base mixed with their candy blue and green till I liked it, and a mint green for the roof. TS 13 clear, yet to be polished. 

f1fda3b4-ff66-46cb-a2b5-01728b1947e3_zps

And the Revell XK120, done with Tamiya TS14 gloss black, also yet to be polished. Wish me luck!

0ed3ce21-03ee-4dd2-953e-db36ab84e0c6_zps

You are bringing out My '70's show with that Eldo. I love the silver. I was able to get all of JoHan's '70's Eldorados to build, including the elusive '74 and '75. My big problem is painting, as I cannot paint in the house. I have to get back on the '71 as it is so close to being finished. 

That Nomad and Jag are sure tobe beautiful when done.

Thanks Dave. Not having the steady hand and good eyes I used to have, I resorted to a bunch of tricks to get the grille done.

I masked the rubber strips top and bottom with BMF and brush painted them as one unit with Humbrol flat black. I then foiled the gap between the two strips to separate them.

The black line between the bumper and the grille is a length of Letraline tape. The orange lights are pieces cut from a flame decal. The very thin black lines around the lights are and above them are done with watered down acrylic, flowed into the molded-in troughs. I will fix up a few small problem areas visible in the photo.

Thanks a lot, Jeremy. I hope to finish this one in the next few days before a family member comes to stay.

I messed up the sun-roof glass and will leave it off. I also won't be doing poseable steering - it would expose the kit's inadequate inner fenders - so there won't be anything more of interest to show in this WIP. Look for the model in Under Glass soon.