Model Cars Magazine Forum

Triple Axle Semi

I was looking at building (or attempting to build) a rig with a triple rear axle set up. Has anyone done a tutorial or something similar listing what would be needed to build such a vehicle? Revell used to have the Peterbilt Canadian hauler, which had the triple rear axles, but since they are out of production, I thought I'd try my hand at building one myself.

Obviously, I'm going to need to extend the frame rails, get my hands on another rear axle/wheels/tires with the appropriate suspension etc. Is there anything else I would need? I'm not looking for the truck to be 100% accurate, just a good looking shelf model.

Also, what are the best ways to extend the frame rails and how far would they need to be extended? I guess I'm going to need a spares kit of whatever truck I decide to use so I have the extra axle and wheels/ tires (unless I can find cheap parts on ebay) 

Thanks for your help!

A Hauler.jpg

Edited by Leonidas

So far I've built two tri-drive trucks. Both were Revell snap kits so the investment was minimal. With good measurements (axle spacing center-to-center) you shouldn't have any problems determining your cuts.

I regret not having detail pics of how it was done, but here they are completed:

What type of truck are you looking to build? As far as stretching the frame, there are several ways to go about it. The easiest being to have ane extra frame of the one your using. The 2nd being using strip styrene to stretch it out. In most instances in can be cheaper to kit bash than buy resin, or acquire an extra axle and suspension through the trading post. Myself, I much prefer a tri-drive to a tag axle. 

Wow guys, those tri drive trucks are awesome! And that quad axle wrecker...I don't know how that thing could turn around in town. :lol: Too cool.

I haven't decided which truck to use yet, but since this will be my first attempt, most likely one of the Revell cheapies, either the Kenworth or Peterbilt snappers will do. If it doesn't work out so well, then I'm not going to be hurting so bad. Plus if I can get one of them with either a 40% Hobby Lobby or 50% Michaels coupon, then I'll be feeling pretty good about things. I'll have to get some strip styrene to fill in the blanks I guess. Which size is best for that?

Since I'll be taking one axle and the suspension from the back end of one truck, then I guess I could modify the donor to be a single axle rig I guess.

Wow guys, those tri drive trucks are awesome! And that quad axle wrecker...I don't know how that thing could turn around in town. :lol: Too cool.

It's easy...I just pick it up, turn it around, and put it back on the shelf! :D  That's part of the fun of model building, things don't necessarily have to function like they do in the real world. ;)

The Revell AG Peterbilt Can-Do and Will-Do Wreckers has tripple axle, they have longer frame rails with an extra suspension for the third axle, but the third axle on the wreckers is a non driven pusher.
The Peterbilt Canadian Hauler and Alaskan Hauler has regular dual drive frame, frame extesions to splice in in front of the regular dual drive and a third drive axle set up for a true tri-drive.
Revell AG did also have a Kenworth K100 Heavy Hauler and Oriental Express with tripple rear axles and the kit has a regular dual drive frame, a frame extension to put in back of the frame with a third suspension and a third drive axle, all three rear axles on them are also driven.
It's not that hard to do, you just need to extend the frame to make room for the third axle, get a third suspension, one more of the front drive axle with the power divider and a prop shaft to connect them up and voila, you have your tri-drive.

Edited by Force

The CAN-DO wrecker has a pusher axle but the suspension is identical to driven axles. That plays in your favour. The real truck has a lift pusher and I believe that it is round, not square like the one in the kit.

I very much like the Canadian Hauler. With the mighty bumper and tripple axle it looks rough and powerfull. But this set up probably never existed with this Peterbilt generation. I never found a picture of  Peterbilt 359 or 353 looking like that. The tri-drives are usually work trucks with day cabs like dumpers and tankers and such.  

I look forward to seeing the progress of your build.

Revell AG did probably take some libertys and used some artistic freedom when they did the Alaskan and Canadian Hauler models, the 359 is the only Peterbilt truck they have except for the 377A/E wich is an Italeri tooling, and the 289 Firetruck wich is the same as the 359 but with only one drive axle.
I believe the Peterbilts with those flat square front fenders as the Canadian and Alaskan Haulers has were 353's so the hood is probably wrong too as the 353's had butterfly hoods.
The real Can-Do wrecker was a 379 short hood with a Cat 3406E but Revell AG took some liberty there too and used their Cummins NTC 475 powered 359 for the model, the same base was used for the Bill Signs truck, it should have had a Cat 3408 but the model had the same NTC475 as all the other Peterbilts..

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i am about to start a tri-axle rig myself using a kenworth w900 truck. i found 2 of them on ebay for a decent price so i can have all the extra parts needed to extend and have the correct suspension and matching wheels and tires. i'm also extending the frame to accommodate a 2nd flat top sleeper and leaving the front aerodie one the way it is. i'm also building a scratch built rack that will sit over the flat top sleeper and a deck right on top of the frame because it will be a car carrier with matching trailer when it's complete, oh also it will have a 2nd set of steering wheels and axle between the 1st and 2nd fuel tanks under the sleeper because of how long it will be. i hope to get it started in the next few days when my 2nd truck arrives in the mail.