Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '29 kitbash - an RPU - final update 10/30

Jantrix

This will be my first build based on the new '29 roadster kit. I'll use the channeled chassis, engine and drivetrain with the body parts from the pickup kit. I'll use the track nose and try to use the four piece hood notched for the exhaust. Paint will be keep-it-simple-stupid red oxide primer. Wheels and tires from the AMT '62 Vette. Afterwards I'll kick around building the roadster with the Model A chassis from the pick-up kit.

20150925_142058_zpsklaldkot.jpg

20150925_142130_zpsm782bhxx.jpg

20150925_141847_zpsulvt7mod.jpg

20150925_141834_zps9m9rievl.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

GET OUT OF MY HEAD JANTRIX! I had this EXACT plan in mind--except for the track nose on the truck. (And little details like the paint.)

I started cleaning up the truck frame last night. Thinking of a simple old-school SBC for power for the roadster. Still mulling over color options.

Oh, just realized you're using the RPU truck body. I'm doing the closed cab.

Edited by Snake45

Sweet! The positioning of the cab and bed look really good. Will look even better with the bed cut down. 

The track nose from the truck kit looks really heavy. I bet it would help a ton to cut a strip off of the back edge to thin it down. I'd say a quarter of an inch. That'll get rid of the bulky look it has and will also cut down on the height getting it better lined up with the top of the cowl.

Sweet! The positioning of the cab and bed look really good. Will look even better with the bed cut down. 

The track nose from the truck kit looks really heavy. I bet it would help a ton to cut a strip off of the back edge to thin it down. I'd say a quarter of an inch. That'll get rid of the bulky look it has and will also cut down on the height getting it better lined up with the top of the cowl.

Hmm. You hit the nail  on the head right there. I'll be removing some from the back edge. I'll just lower it a bit to make the top of it line up with the edge of the cab.

I'll be following, too. Wanna see what you have to do to mate the truck body with the new frame.

Nothing special. I'll add a couple of cross beams and the rest will be as you see it. My big hurdle right now is the floor pan. The kit hood does NOT fit, by a WIDE margin. No surprise there. I'll do without if I can't figure out an alternative.

Tim, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Edited by Jantrix

I'm guessing you are going to fill the grille with a "mesh" but I could be mistaken.  ;)

Well knowing me it could end up as a mess but I'll try the mesh first. :lol: 

Thanks for the ataboys guys. So far I'm very impressed with the '29 roadster kit. It really is very modern. They have added these little tabs all over the parts that are very easy to remove cleanly, that were added to the mold to give the ejector pins something to push against besides the parts themselves. I've yet to find a bad part or something that doesn't fit. The mold lines are as minimal as possible (the benefits of a new mold). The roadster itself isn't a priority as I finished a 32 roadster not too long ago, but I will certainly get to it. Maybe someone will master a Duval windshield for it and I'll do that.

More soon.