Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Scale Ultra Detail GT40 Engine

Nice model!  Only thing that looks a bit odd is all the brass bolt heads/nuts . Shouldn't those have steel color?  Plating them would fix the problem. If I had that kit I would have dunked them all in a tin plating solution I use to tin-plate printed circuit board copper traces.  I think that if this was done the model would be indistinguishable in photos from the 1:1 engine.

Thanks for the praise Scott!

Pete, the 427 version is in the works, but you can actually buy a 427FE from TDR in 1/8 scale, so I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to make a kit of it.

Nevertheless I'm building the GT40 MkII engine for myself, but with a crossram intake system like on the Lola T160.

Peteski, yeah, I would have done that too, but our customer chose to not plate them, for reasons unknown to me...

Edited by mad mike
new post

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If it were, how much would you think it to cost?

Based on the engine cost, perhaps ~$2.5K more, say $3.5K for a complete 1/8 Ultra high detail GT40?

And would you pay it?

Well, not 1/8 but Exoto did a 1/10th scale diecast (fully assembled/painted) of the GT-40 that while it had issues, is/was nicely done.  To that, prices range from $1,798 for the 1966 Exoto Ford GT40 Mk II #2 (Shelby signed version for $2,7470) to $4,495.  They have retired models of the MK II for just under $9k.  tHE 1967 Exoto Ford GT40 Mk IV in a variety of liveries runs $4,495 ($5,495 for a Shelby Signed Version).

The owner of the company has a history of replicas of cars without doing the licensing, however.

Exoto Website

Well, not 1/8 but Exoto did a 1/10th scale diecast (fully assembled/painted) of the GT-40 that while it had issues, is/was nicely done.  To that, prices range from $1,798 for the 1966 Exoto Ford GT40 Mk II #2 (Shelby signed version for $2,7470) to $4,495.  They have retired models of the MK II for just under $9k.  tHE 1967 Exoto Ford GT40 Mk IV in a variety of liveries runs $4,495 ($5,495 for a Shelby Signed Version).

The owner of the company has a history of replicas of cars without doing the licensing, however.

Exoto Website

I own the original Exoto #1 car Brian. What would you say the issues are?

I own the original Exoto #1 car Brian. What would you say the issues are?

My point was in the price reference from Brian's post regarding a 1/8th scale model to surround the subject of this topic.  While not 1/8th, Tony's 1/10th diecast does hit the ballpark of what Brian suggested.  The quality of an Exoto diecast car was not the point of my response nor the point of this topic.

• 3 weeks later...

I must say this kit by Fein Design is simply killer!  I've some of his slot car kits which are fantastic for sure.  The only thing is they are in German.  But this kit is in English.

Also it seems that the kits parts have no flash so it looks like a go and build work flow with not much prep work needed.

He had other kits were in my opinion grails like Lotus 40's and Ferrari 512P/612P CanAms, BRMs etc...  Simply an awesome model maker for sure.