Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Scale Ultra Detail GT40 Engine

Can you imagine if there was a model car available, at that level of detail, to put that engine into?

If it were, how much would you think it to cost?

Based on the engine cost, perhaps ~$2.5K more, say $3.5K for a complete 1/8 Ultra high detail GT40?

And would you pay it?

If it were, how much would you think it to cost?

Based on the engine cost, perhaps ~$2.5K more, say $3.5K for a complete 1/8 Ultra high detail GT40?

And would you pay it?

I wouldn't pay a dime, as I have no interest in this subject at all. But it would be cool for the hobby in general to have a kit like that available. And my guess is there would be plenty of people willing to pay whatever the price to get their hands on one.

I wouldn't pay a dime, as I have no interest in this subject at all. But it would be cool for the hobby in general to have a kit like that available. And my guess is there would be plenty of people willing to pay whatever the price to get their hands on one.

I forgot alreay however you may recall.   But there was a company having monthly membership were they sent parts of a model to build out.

They had Red Bull and Senna fomula 1 racers, also some ships as well.

I can see a GT40 being another offering.

Just found this post and I'm glad that this kit gets so much attention, for I'm the one who built the prototype.

Don't mean to brag though, well, maybe a little bit ;)

If you'd like to see some more pics of the prototype, look here: http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/showthread.php?90296-1-8-Ford-GT40-302-Gurney-Eagle-sbc-engine

I think the pics there should answer some questions, especially the one regarding the quality of the parts: They are originally 3d print, yes, but I put in a lot hours to make the surface look right.

Plus I have to say that the guy responsible for casting the resin parts has done an absolutely outstanding job - I haven't found bubbles or mold flash yet.

About the pricing let me tell you just this one thing: with all the detail parts this kit is worth every cent. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know the work of producing something like this.

I just received my kit in the mail from Germany. The price is a non-factor honestly, the detail is just pure insanity. The pictures don't even come close to doing this kit justice. We all know 1/8 is big, but it still comes as a shock when you hold the pieces. 

When I have time, I will unload everything and take closeup pics. There is an incredibly minor amount of flash, but you cull just pull it off with your fingers, No bubbles, fantastic quality. It really does put the larger companies to shame in terms of detail and quality. 

Michael, incredible work. Thank you for making this available. Maybe a Ferrari F40 engine is in our future?

I just received my kit in the mail from Germany. The price is a non-factor honestly, the detail is just pure insanity. The pictures don't even come close to doing this kit justice. We all know 1/8 is big, but it still comes as a shock when you hold the pieces. 

When I have time, I will unload everything and take closeup pics. There is an incredibly minor amount of flash, but you cull just pull it off with your fingers, No bubbles, fantastic quality. It really does put the larger companies to shame in terms of detail and quality. 

Michael, incredible work. Thank you for making this available. Maybe a Ferrari F40 engine is in our future?

Oh well, I'd really like to do a F40  engine, but it's really hard to get decent reference material on Ferrari engines.

I thought several times of buying a Protar kit and souping it up, but the low level of quality on it always stopped me cold...

Those aluminum valve covers were very important for me since no other trick achieves the effect of those polished letters and lines like the real thing.

Can't wait to see someone from here doing a WIP, building the prototype was something else ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...