Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help, I've Gone Off The Wagon!

It has been a while since I have bought any kits. Living in an apartment, we just don't have the storage room, much less building room. That being said, we went to Dallas a few weeks ago and I stopped by Wild Bill's Hobby. It is one of the old line hobby shops, the kind you just don't see anymore. I got a couple of kits and then when I got home, I found the reissued F150 Ranger kit at King's here in Austin. Later I found another at Hobby Lobby and since then I've gotten the 1972 Blazer and a couple of others. My wife hasn't noticed the kits starting to stack up yet.

There IS hope for you, though not much!

I finally have stopped buying stuff, even drag racing stuff AND.....even the 65 Plymouth, which I've been wanting since, well, 1965!

Advice: Spend some time building and spend hours here on the MCM site!

You can also glue your wallet shut!

GOOD LUCK!!

So she don't see them, hide some under the bed, the cabinet above the fridge, behind the towels in the linen closet, etc. etc. etc..... LOL You could always get to the point like me with over 500 of them, it gets to the point you can't tell when more are added... LOL

Yep!! Got all the goodies, new late war roll off torpedo racks, .50 cal guns, Oldsmobile bow gun, 20mm pom pom aft. I must have spent close to $70 on all the aftermarket stuff to turn it into a late war boat. Still cheaper than the Italeri /35 scale kit!!!:D

Edited by bismarck

Actually the Del Rio was another of my purchases. I have a weakness for wagons! I have also been working (slowly) on a Miami Vice Scarab boat that I got at a consignment sale. I found and bought one of the non-Miami Vice versions they had as well. I paid a lot to have a local sign shop to duplicate the decals since the originals are not usable. Ahhh, reliving my youth!

Important fact -  after you have 500-1,000 kits, they all look the same to the wife.  So she will never know you are adding kits to your stash.  When you walk in from your club meeting with 6 new kits,  and she asks if those are new kits, it's easy to say, "No, I brought these to the meeting to show the guys!"    

In my case my wife doesn't care what I buy.  I only spend money once all the family and home obligations are taken care of.  Some guys don't. Hint- if you have zero money in your bank account, and when you cash your next paycheck, the first thing you do is run to the hobby shop and buy a kit, then you cannot afford that kit!    So being responsible is important for household peace.