Model Cars Magazine Forum

traveling model building supplies?

What model building supplies and tools do you take along for "on the road"model building?Do you have a traveling tool kit with stuff all neatly secured in a wooden case? Or hands fulll of stuff thrown into an old cigar box held closed with a rubber band?Show us what you grab on your way out the door to keep your projects moving along when you're away from your away from your main workbench.

The last time I used it "in anger" was 10 years ago. It's a Plano 8600 tackle box that opens like a clam shell on top; two symmetrical sections of small compartments, plus a big open section below. I took it to Afghanistan in 2005. It held a surprising amount of supplies and tools. (There was no quick trip to the local hobby shop over there). I would say that it would hold everything you need for a 1/24~1/25 car project, including spray paint and the car, if packaged carefully.

I did fill it up a couple of months ago for an out of town trip, but ended up not opening it. Inside was a long term project, a 1/12 show rod very heavily influenced by Dan Woods' "Ice Truck". The body of that car is pretty small, even in 1/12.

The Plano 8600 is long enough for Evergreen strip styrene in the sleeve it's sold in. I had plenty of that, plus a bunch of individual tubes of super glue and my ancient glass bottle of Zip Kicker... And lots of other stuff. I used the strip for improving the interior of a Johan Mercedes, a new reveal on a modified Duesenberg, and rebuilding trim on the vinyl top of a Duesnberg town car.

FYI- Tamiya's empty glass paint jars have a soft plastic gasket that is not affected by MEK, if you use that in scratch building. 

Edited by LDO
spelling