Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Barracuda "Hemi Under Glass" --To be cont'd......

mustang1989

As far as I know, this box art is just for a 66 Barracuda like I've got. They usually go for about 30 bucks. Check it out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMT-ERTL-1966-PLYMOUTH-BARRACUDA-HEMI-UNDER-GLASS-WHEELSTANDER-FUNNY-CAR-KIT-FS-/252043385163?hash=item3aaef4d94b:m:mGoANk4l_OCfrO7vQOCWjbA

I'm looking forward to getting started as well. I just don't have much for reference right now and I could stand some more of that on this particular car.

Is the box art the same on both of these versions ('66 and '68)?

I'm asking because I've been drooling over one of these kits for a while and when I see one with reasonable price tag, I gotta pick it up. But I want to have a '66 body too.

The project looks very interesting. I can't wait to see it when you get started.B)

As far as I know, thats the trick..... For the 2 kits I have had..... YES! Both kits show the car, in "wheelie" stance, NOT showing the front, as the rear dragging the ground looks pretty much the same for the '66 to '69, with very little differences between the model years of the car. The front, however is the difference in the models. The '66 had a VERY distinct "look", the '67 to '69 had a VERY CLOSE the same look oval-style grill, only to have the turn signals be the difference on them! -There may have been slight differences on the rear tail lights too from the '66 compared to the '67 to '69 model year, (I'd have to look further into it), BUT I know they used a '68-9 Cuda in all of the "newer" offered kits! As the side view of the car, was relatively close the same so the decals would fit with very little issue to the model and its looks!

-Body side turn signal indicators ALSO could be a spotting feature! The '66 shouldn't have ANY at all, the '67 to '69, went from '67 to having little round lights, to I *THINK* having squarish looking ones. -This was also the case with the Dodge Charger, in '66 it HAD NO turn signals in the quarter panels, in '67 it had the little round lights in the quarter panels, as well as those little round lights carried to the '68 model year, and then in '69 they became the squarish ones......

They did use the same box art, which is why it makes it difficult to tell what one has the true HHUG '66 Cuda and not the '68-9 Cuda..... As the REAL Hurst Hemi Under Glass, is in fact a '66 Cuda, BUT I think in years of its "run" they did find it hard to keep the '66, so it was retired and then began using '68's '69's and so on..... BUT thee first one in real life was built off a '66 A body Cuda. 

In '70 the Plymouth 'Cuda was made into a Pony Car...... And was created as a E Body. As prior to 1970, the Plymouth was a Barracuda, in 1970 became the 'cuda..... SAME car, firstly a A body Mopar, but Plymouth wanted something to be up with the E body Pony Cars, to compete, with its brother company Dodge with the Dodge E body Challenger! Which was also against the Chevy Camaro, and the Ford Mustang!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the information! 30 Bucks doesn't sound too bad, so hopefully I can find one. Unfortunately buying it from eBay is often not a good idea, as the shipping costs are sometimes way too high compared to what it really costs to ship a model kit to Finland or sometimes sellers don't want to ship them here at all...

Joe,

I can't wait to see it when your working on it! I got a "glue bomb" assembled '69 cuda (I THINK its a '69 anyway) that I plan to paint it "Limelight" green after a friends car that has a 340 in it. (Limelight-Sublime green same color)........ Which will give me an "extra" Hemi engine......(Like I need an extra) but I'm not complainin'..... LOL

It's with the utmost respect that I say that there are distinct differences between the 66 and the 67-69 year model Barracudas. They are all A bodies this is true but the rear of these cars , although all are fastbacks, are vastly different between the 66 and 67-69 years. The 66 has a distinct "wrap around" rear window as opposed to a slight wrap on the 67-69s and the trunk lids are contoured a lot more on the 66 than it is on the 67. Tail lights and rear panel-totally different. Believe me, after owning a 1966 model myself for 2+ decades and being an avid fan of these cars, they look nothing alike from the rear.

Check it out: The 1966 model

CC-39-013-800.jpg

The 1967 model:(and this is one cool lookin' Cuda-I may have to check into this one a little more for a possible future build)

0810phr_09_z+1967_plymouth_barracuda+rea

Edited by mustang1989

That is a 67 Barracuda. I did a lot more research on that ride and it belongs to a fella by the name of Ken Kiefer. It's a pretty Bad A car too (again with the puns....) . Looks like I'll be replicating this one in the future so I'm off to buy a 67 Barracuda kit. The stance and look on this bad boy are just way too cool!

Joe, the bottom one looks like a '69..... The top pic, is that a '66? -I might be doing a bit of confusing as the Notchback Cuda are my favorites of the body style!

John, the 67 mopars had no side marker lights, in 68 they had round marker lights, in 69 they had the rectangular marker lights. I believe, and I could be wrong, that the marker lights were federally mandated for the 68 model year. with the 67 to 69 barracudas there are also miner differances in the tailights, and grills, along with a peak starting between the grills and continuing along the center of the hood on the 69 that is not on the 67 and 68.

An easy way to indentify the 1967 thru 1960 Barracudas is ;

1967 - no side markers of any kind, oval shaped grille no peak down the center of the hood , tail lights had a small square backup light in the center of the red lense

1968 - round side markers , similar oval shaped ft grilles with no peak in the center of the hood,  taillights were a horse shoe shaped white backup light with a smaller red tail light lense in the center of it .

1969 - rectangular shaped but NON -FUNCTIONAL side marker reflectors , grille was similar to 67-68 and the had the center peak that is in the center of the hood and continues down the center  between the grilles. Tail lights were a larger block shaped red lenses and the back up lights were now mounted in the lower rear valance in a chrome bezel next to the license plate assy

An easy way to indentify the 1967 thru 1960 Barracudas is ;

1967 - no side markers of any kind, oval shaped grille no peak down the center of the hood , tail lights had a small square backup light in the center of the red lense

1968 - round side markers , similar oval shaped ft grilles with no peak in the center of the hood,  taillights were a horse shoe shaped white backup light with a smaller red tail light lense in the center of it .

1969 - rectangular shaped but NON -FUNCTIONAL side marker reflectors , grille was similar to 67-68 and the had the center peak that is in the center of the hood and continues down the center  between the grilles. Tail lights were a larger block shaped red lenses and the back up lights were now mounted in the lower rear valance in a chrome bezel next to the license plate assy

The Charger was the same way! None in '66, not present till mid-year '67, Then in '68 had the little round ones, and in '69 where rectangular.

It was mandated, I just can't remember if it was '67 or '68.

BUT the front grill also have this same reflection. They were slightly different. Matter of fact, the '67 to '69 Cuda's you couldn't even "interchange" the grilles from one year to the other they were ever-so-slightly different, EVEN the mounts! Not to mention to get a good grille replacement these days, you'd have to remortgage your house! (go look that one up! NOT to bad when you consider the '71 'Cuda and cost of its grille! :blink:

• 1 month later...

Well I've reached that point with the '56 Ford to where I'm now sitting at the bench with little left to do but stare at the rest of the parts.    Everything on it has an order it goes in and I can't skip a step and move on until I get the next small task in front of me done. Unfortunately it isn't a shake and bake time at the bench with it right now.

I had to move to something that I could actually get my hands into in regards to building again so I laid everything out from the Ross Gibson engine and my AM Hillborn Fuel Injection set to display what I've actually got to deal with. I must say that so far I'm impressed. I'll be heading to the sink to wash all these parts up tomorrow morning.

One of the neat things that the Gibson engine comes with is a little strip for the drive belt/ belts. Check it out:

I'm really looking forward to building again. Hopefully this one doesn't take 9+ months to build.

After allowing the gray primer to dry and straightening out a couple of holes and cracks , I shot a coat of flat black on the whole engine for the pre shade effect and allowed to dry overnight. This morning I shot several light coats of red on and so far am happy with the results.

I'll be masking the oil pan off and shooting that with a coat or two of aluminum after the red cures out.

001_zpso4hz0toy.jpg

I've also started working on the valve covers. I'll be going with Alclad for those.

Joe, the bottom one looks like a '69..... The top pic, is that a '66? -I might be doing a bit of confusing as the Notchback Cuda are my favorites of the body style!

The 66 had a smoother front fender than the 66/64 which had a bump (?) in the front. The tail lights were also different Also a bumpered area where the back bumpers wrap around

This is a  65

2c61705c19cdde969a0fe1651138e1f8.jpg

Edited by Jon Haigwood

• 1 month later...

Okee dokee folks. This one is going to go back into the box for the time being. First off I don't have enough information on this one to pull it all the way together like it's supposed to look which brings me to point #2.
I have never seen a kit that is this inaccurate  and has such poor fit. The wheel base is WAY off and the engine is too far forward. There's gonna be a lot of fit issues and a lot of visible errors to contend with that's going to call on skills I don't have at the moment. I've never "put one on the shelf" but this one is going to require ALOT of patience and ALOT of attention to the point that I see this one taking longer than a year to correct and I'm not prepared to spend that long on it right now. I'm still gathering parts for it in order to put the correct suspension under it and am still working on ideas to properly relocate the engine and have everything that is visible under the glass to look "correct". I didn't want to leave this thread with a dead end so I'm giving a temporary closure to this build right now. When I get my bearings straight with this build I'll come back around to it because I do want to build this one. It really eats at me when I'm wanting to and can't for whatever reason. I'll definitely be revisiting this build.

I do thank all who have encouraged me along the way with this one. Just know I'll jump back to it at some point.

Edited by mustang1989

Speed City Resins offers the HHUG in resin & has the frame with all the modifications completed.  I am not familiar with this specific resin piece but everything I have purchased from Speed City Resins has been pretty flawless and service is good too.

Ed