Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Barracuda "Hemi Under Glass" --To be cont'd......

mustang1989

Chris: Thanks bud! Fire away with those pictures! If it helps any, I tend to forget more than I remember! lol. It gets me in a lot of trouble with the Mrs. at times.....dig%20hole_zpsacwxbufm.gif

echo: Thank you for the link. I'm probably gonna order that resin frame and related goodies. Will have to wait till after me and my wife's anniversary but it'll get done. I appreciate your help.

• 2 weeks later...

The AMT kit is a fictional car based loosely on the McEwen '65.  It was created in '67 after there was no more need for AMT to produce 1966 Barracuda promo models or stock/custom kits.  Don Emmons was a consultant to AMT around that time; the kit is probably based on a kitbash project he did for Rod & Custom back in the day.  He started with a stock '65 kit, scratched the mid-engine chassis/interior from basswood strips and file card, and bashed the driveline from the Barracuda and other kits.  The AMT funny car was issued years ago with Hemi Under Glass decals but was the same kit, possibly with Hurst mag wheels included.  The chassis and engine were also used in a Corvair funny car kitback then; the one reissued by Round 2 recently.

Back in '68 and '69, MPC offered Hemi Under Glass kits.  Those had (then) current year bodies, and a completely different chassis.  Nothing was shared with the AMT kit because the two companies were competitors at that time.  

All of the recent production (since 2005 or so) Hemi Under Glass kits are the AMT 1966 kit.  The Model King issue was first, followed by the RC2 Nostalgia Series issue.  Early production kits from that issue have MPC box art with a '68 or '69 MPC kit shown, but the '66 is what's inside.  Once someone at RC2 figured out the mistake, they cobbed a picture of an earlier Barracuda onto the same artwork. 

The MPC '68/'69 Hemi Under Glass hasn't been reissued.  The chassis and interior got reworked for the LA Dart/Hemi Hunter Dart kit.  If you look at the parts in that kit, you can see traces of where alterations were made to turn the engine/driveline around to place it behind the rear axle for the Dart.  MPC even moved the front wheel openings on the Dart body (taken from a Ramchargers funny car kit) to line up with the wheelbase on the HUG chassis.  The Dart's wheel openings aren't quite in the right place for a Dart, they're a bit too far back.   

You do realize that this kit is not really a Hemi Under Glass, but rather Tom McEwen's Plymouth Dealers car with Hemi Under Glass decals.  The real Hemi Under Glass kits are much different.

I did not. But I do thank you for the info as a lot of the folks on my thread here who are trying to educate me. Thank you all. I'm currently researching and digging.

This'll say it...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=terminator+i'll+be+back+clip&view=detail&mid=B715B1F3996CDFB65999B715B1F3996CDFB65999&FORM=VIRE5

• 3 years later...