Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Barracuda "Hemi Under Glass" --To be cont'd......

mustang1989

I'll be finishing up with my 56 Ford F-100 in the coming 30 days (hopefully it'll be before the show on 10 October) and was pondering my next project. I've been really itchin' to do an aircraft build but this Barracuda keeps calling my name so I'm going to go for it after my F-100. I thought I'd go ahead and lock myself into a build thread so that I'll commit myself to building this cool a$$ car.

A pic of the 1:1 version I'll be using for the build........

and a pic of the kit............

I looked in the box and wasn't all that impressed but with a little TLC I feel like it can be brought around to a decent looking build. I've got a complete "correct" AM decal sheet from Slixx to replace the whole two decals that come with the kit and have just ordered a Ross Gibson 426 Hemi and I was lucky to get it because all Ross Gibson engines are disappearing from all vendors due to the fact that Ross died last year. I'm also looking for the correct size drag slicks for the back which is proving to be a pain in tha............. !! Any ways, gimme a few weeks and I'll be on this one.

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks a lot Brian! I'll try not to disappoint. :D

Ok folks. Initially I was going to use a set of slicks that I found from the Revell 68 Hemi Dart boxing. They were a tad too large and I would have ended up shaving some from the wheel openings to make 'em work. The front tires I robbed from another gasser kit I had. It looked ok but at this point I still needed to acquire some better fitting slicks and smaller front tires.
Here's a couple of mock up shots of where I was at though-----more coming.......

This is where the over sized tire really shows. Will be obtaining smaller ones soon........

Edited by mustang1989

Went out to HL and picked this one up on clearance. In addition to having a spare 427 in the spares bin it had the PERFECT size front runners for what I was looking for in this build.

The score:

The previous look .....

and the updated look with the replacement tires.....

Yeah......I'm definitely feelin' better about that part. Now for re-sizing the rear tires........

I think I've got the right combination right now with the tires. Here's the rear slicks before....

Which looking back now they look a little too big. And here is what I have now that got sent to me from good ol' Hugh (thank you a million Hugh!) and I don't have to cut any out of the rear wheel openings. I think they are gonna work...........very well.

Yeah.....I think THAT'S more like it! :wink:

Just pokin' through the threads in this section tells me I've got my dang work cut out for me in keeping up with this groups standard. I look around and see nuthin' but the best at almost every turn here. I'll be giving my best to this one and probably asking a lot of questions a long the way.

Edited by mustang1989

I appreciate the great comments there Carl, Gordon and Mark. I'm backin' off on the F-100 a little as I'm finding myself rushing to meet the Austin show deadline next Saturday. It just aint gonna make it there this go round. I'll have it done for the Houston show coming up in April of '16. I'm not going to hurry through this thing after 7 months of throwing god knows what effort into it only to foul it up in the final stages. I'm going to be slowing down on it and taking my time to ensure the best wrap up.  I'll be on this one here and there and picking up parts for it along the way.

Thanks Jim! I'll get the dimensions for you pretty quick. The slicks he sent me have Goodyear on one side and Firestone on the flip side. I'll let you know.

This was my car and it's actually the true inspiration for this build. These pics were taken in 1985 with an old Kodak Disk camera and although grainy, here's pictures my very first car. I've given thought a time or two getting the ol' girl back from the current owner as I know right where shes at..............rotting away in a field.

UPDATE: Although iffy, I'm currently trying to get ahold of the current owner of my old car. We'll see where it leads from here....

and the mildly hot rodded 318 V-8 I built for it.....

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck on the 1:1, I wish I could find my 67 Camaro I had.  (my first running car)  I think its still in Tucson  but last I talked to the guy I sold it to he was thinking of selling it.  That was about 10 years ago...

Keep us up to date on the build  I have 2 in my stash to build someday..

..so I want to see how yours comes out.

Thanks Jim, JC, Kerry and Dave! I'm still chugging away on the Ford F-100 and will hopefully be done by the first week or so in November. After that I'll have a green light for this build. Still gathering information and parts. Anybody with some good files or info on this ride? All info would be welcome at this point as I'm finding it a little difficult to locate bumper to bumper pics on this resto ride.

I gotta ask ya Joe, is this a TRUE '66 Cuda? I had one of the so-called Hurst Hemi Under Glass kits, and upon opening it, a DEVISTATING surprise, it WASN'T a '66 at all..... they at AMT used the '68-'69 Cuda in place of........... BUT then I heard that the first offerings were the true '66 Cuda, the ones sold from AMT in the 1990's were the '68-9 models.........

I just gotta know! LOL I was disappointed when I seen that in my first HHUG kit, Sadly enough I traded one a year ago to another member here, BEFORE I was a member here (I knew him from another site)

Joe, you got a collectors kit then! '66 was and still is a collectors HHUG kit! There were less of them with the '66 Cuda then the one with the '68-9 model made!

I too would like to get my hands on a '68' or '69 Cuda, but NOT to have the Hurst Hemi Under Glass decals on it.... Just to make a "street" version, not a race car.

I gotta ask ya Joe, is this a TRUE '66 Cuda? I had one of the so-called Hurst Hemi Under Glass kits, and upon opening it, a DEVISTATING surprise, it WASN'T a '66 at all..... they at AMT used the '68-'69 Cuda in place of........... BUT then I heard that the first offerings were the true '66 Cuda, the ones sold from AMT in the 1990's were the '68-9 models.........

Is the box art the same on both of these versions ('66 and '68)?

I'm asking because I've been drooling over one of these kits for a while and when I see one with reasonable price tag, I gotta pick it up. But I want to have a '66 body too.

The project looks very interesting. I can't wait to see it when you get started.B)