Model Cars Magazine Forum

Swede Savage Trans Am AAR 'Cuda Hwy. 61 based project

swede70

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

Thanks Ed for the kind notice in relation to the Bob Tarrozi material as well as the Lime Rock vintage racing event program cover reference.  I try hard to collect all the source material that I may, while having extra eyes searching for additional materials is always helpful and deeply flattering. 

Another update then...

Swede_Cuda_nineteen_001.thumb.JPG.ed63d4

...seen above will be the two interiors taking shape.  Details to notice include the beginnings of a pair of scratch built roll cages, the differing design of two raised driveshaft humps looking back, differing headrest support and pad detail, and seats effectively copied from a GMP Trans Am Camaro part.  The rear bulkheads are cut away at the corners to accommodate the plastic 'glass' installation on each of the scale E-bodies.  The Challenger chassis is in the foreground, whereas the AAR 'Cuda chassis is in the background.  Given that all the apparently missing bits and pieces seen on the Challenger chassis are affixed and in place on the up-on-wheels 'Cuda not seen here, the two models are effectively matched up for progress made thus far. 

Other things seen are the thickened core radiator with scratch built end tanks, the main roll hoop signal light mounts seen on the 'Cuda, as well revised Autodynamics Challenger air cleaner housing based formed from an aluminum wine bottle top.  An O-ring was sourced for the fresh air seal, while I may cast this and squash it down a bit to better approximate what is needed here. 

Swede_Cuda_nineteen_003.thumb.JPG.63ba28...more of the same, with the head rest support structure and pads seen to better effect.  Soon I'll attempt to fabricate forward members of the roll cage as well as the support structure affixed to the X-brace in pairs and welded to the floor.   As a side note, select period photographs depict the Challenger as having rather thick foam pads painted black replacing the interior door trim, and hence the cut out panels reflect an attempt to duplicate this detail. 

Swede_Cuda_nineteen_002.thumb.JPG.4dd7eb

...and these constitute a pair of extra bodies plus stripped floors and chassis to allow greater latitude for rough handling and quick trial and error fit concerning the roll cage structure being worked up.  Yes - many a Hwy. 61 E-body gave its life to the creation of these scale efforts! 

As a further update for those intrigued by the topics chosen by this builder, apparently ACME is intending to do both the Autodynamics Challenger as well as the AAR 'Cuda as tribute cars based on the Hwy 61 tool.   Slated for second and third quarter release in 2017, I can only hope that what I do here will not strictly be in vain.  They'll list for $129.95, hence some question exists about just how much in the way of new parts they'll tool for whatever is eventually availed to us.  Thanks for reviewing this update...

Mike K.

Edited by swede70

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Thanks for the creative input.  Indeed, there is a Gurney retrospective being held at the Petersen Museum as I write this, while there has been a modern trickle of period SCCA Trans Am-related merchandise produced by HW in recent years that has also intrigued.  In time I'd like to gather up a reproduction of the HW Sizzlers Trans Am AAR 'Cuda to display near to my 1:18th efforts, the former being the rechargeable electric motor powered iterations of the usual 1:64th scale fare HW is known for.  In addition, I have a copy of the period Don Getz Goodyear Swede Savage 'Cuda poster as well as the old HW 'Racing 48's' Dan Gurney promotional poster and am happy to have each.

-

...and now a brief update.  Below will be seen my efforts to create reasoned 4-point cages for both the 'Cuda and the Challenger.  When refined each structure will 'grow' further bars, etc., whereas at this point it was simply an effort to come up with something symmetrical and square twice over.  In particular I could extend the bars securing the cage to the floor pan only so far forward given that attachment hardware and structure interferes with such. 

Some added reinforcement of the X-brace center is noticed on the Challenger chassis, while some modest updating of the fuel cell inlets might also be discerned for perusing what I've posted here.  Finally, the 'X' marked on each rear bulkhead illustrates where a single roll cage bar will sprout forth to attach to the main hoop corner of each scale replica. Thanks for following along...

Swede_Cuda_twenty_one_001.thumb.JPG.a8b5Swede_Cuda_twenty_one_002.thumb.JPG.0488Swede_Cuda_twenty_one_003.thumb.JPG.8dfd

M.K.

Edited by swede70

It is simply amazing to see all the custom pieces (I love that they are in white as compared to the original pieces in their "factory" colors) as they overlay into these models.  They are a true testimony to the level of effort you are putting into them, and a source of awe for those of us who think we do custom work.

Congratulations, and keep it up!

• 1 month later...

Swede_Cuda_twenty_three_002.thumb.JPG.06

...a mild update of sorts.  Given that I haven't the equivalent of a stack of low-cost, unassembled 1:18th plastic kits to draw spares from, I must instead search intently for parts from damaged models or those on hand for items that might be copied, modified and copied, or in some instances scratch built to suit my needs and to push my projects ahead.  What is seen in the photograph is a series of open face molds as well as two-part urethane molds I've worked up consistent with creating needed supplies.   Employing such, GMP Trans Am Camaro Hurst shifter assemblies can be reproduced (to later be vacuum plated unlike the standard GMP issue), a Hurst reverse lock out lever is seen (employed on the AAR 'Cuda's then), while further seen is a Shelby Collectibles GT 350R shift boot that will overlay vacuum plated resin plates with small divots ground into the corners to vaguely represent set screws.  Positioned in the middle is a new one-piece mold for a GMP Trans Am Camaro seat mount that I hadn't done up until now. 

Also noticed will be the happy result of efforts to reproduce the signal light lenses specific to the race AAR 'Cudas and positioned on the roll cage main hoop positioned approximately two-thirds of the way up on either side.  Tail lights from a 1:25th scale AMT 1968 Corvette which feature faint radial ribs across the surface and likewise come to a soft point as such were carefully cut out and isolated, whereupon the four I had were used to create the urethane mold seen on the far right.  The mold was passed to a fellow scale enthusiast known for his quality 1:32nd scale period slot car windshield reproductions, who very kindly employed his methods to yield me extremely serviceable examples in clear resin. 

In particular, clear resin mixed and poured at room temperature typically clouds for very small bubbles remaining visible in the mix, while drawing the material into any mold often proves problematic.  For much trial and error effort, heating both the resin as well as placing the mold or molds employed in a toaster over across hours can ameliorate the problem, and thankful I am to be able to lean upon those who've done the arduous work necessary to perfect the problem at a cottage industry-level.  Though difficult to make out, the results are fine indeed and happy I am for his evident knowledge and skill - kind thanks to Brad in SE Michigan.  Again, thank you each for looking in and contributing in a personally valued way. 

Mike K.

Edited by swede70

I love this picture from that Hot Rod article of the herd coming up through Echo Valley.  From the spot from which the picture was taken, the sound just HAD to be amazing.

Back when NASCAR ran something called Grand Nationals, somebody tried to turn the Bridge into "Riverside East" and ran a couple a couple stock car races up there.  I bet the residents of Bridgehampton could hear those cars in the middle of down town.  Same with Can AM.  Those big engines rattled much crockery.

.trans-am-race-bridgehampton-1970.thumb.j

Edited by tedd60

• 8 months later...

Greetings,

After many months of waiting the  1:18th ACME Hwy. 61 tool-based Dan Gurney race AAR 'Cuda has arrived, and hence I can calmly go about the business of choosing the best bits and pieces to work up the best E-body road racing replicas I might.  The ACME model is mostly an agreeable compromise given they had to work with a stock bodyshell and chassis casting, while sometimes it's good to take on a limited project where one is simply introducing mild revisions of this and that versus scratch building so very much.  Below will be seen a few images of a revised Gurney release with encouragement of you to try the same. 

Alterations of note are as follows:

• Larger headlamp fill panels have been fabricated from sheet plastic and painted Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red to better replicate the appearance of Gurney's return to driving duty at Kent and Riverside '70.
  • The tail panel has been replaced with a painted example less dayglo stripes - see my 'dry' paint fixture work up for the purpose.  A slightly larger fuel fill pipe as well as a larger Hwy. 61 '70 340 Dart fuel cap was added at this time as well.  Tamiya TS-55 Dark Blue dusted with TS-65 Pearl Clear works really well here. 
  • The 'PLYMOUTH' identification in the grille has been painted out.  Correct for some races, but not for Kent or Riverside then...
  • The jack point highlight on the rocker panels has been removed and replaced with red R/C vinyl tape which was a bit taller and happily vibrant in color.
  • The door handles have received a Testor's Model Master magnesium wash versus the as-delivered black wash.  
  • The exhaust dumps have been trimmed, the ends worked over with a Dremel Moto-tool to appear oval and a bit dipped, and finally painted flat black.
  • The A-pillar air duct hardware has been touched in with silver paint.
  • A cast resin fuel cell housing has been added underneath and back.
  • The 'DAN GURNEY' identification above the side numerals has been removed and shifted forward for use of old Fred Cady waterslides which seemed about the same size. 
  • Specific to the Riverside Mission Bell 250 appearance, a BELL helmets decal has been added to either side atop the 'stack' of accessory decals seen on the rear quarter panel well forward.
  • A useless cast-in turn signal indicator stalk was cut off and discarded.
  • Missing the stock front turn signal lenses typically inset into the grille on the standard Hwy. 61 'Cuda releases, a pair of the lenses were found and painted semigloss black to represent fill panels prior to being fitted.

5a35676e6be2e_GurneyCudathree004.JPG.48b85934d00fe08423afa62cb9139542.JPG

...the aforementioned tail panel masking fixture.  The lock cylinder has been mostly ground away, although I was reluctant to try to finish it smooth for fear of wrecking the whole assembly for being too greedy.  I wish I'd primed the license plate recess fill panel before spraying, but otherwise a reasonably sound approach to take.  Clay was used to prevent paint bleed through to the lenses left in place along the back side of what is seen...

5a356776ac505_GurneyCudathree005.JPG.f4e0487ab0627157b3c59dbd01bac541.JPG

...painted, although coverage not the best around the edges of the insert.  Oh well...

5a356ae400663_GurneyCudatwo004.JPG.043e991f3a34c04eaa1e16aba5778879.JPG

...with the strange upturned exhaust dumps still unmodified here, nevertheless the fuel cell housing looks quite good hanging down just so.  Tamiya AS-16 Light Gray (USAF) isn't a perfect match but will have to do...

5a35678d1ceca_GurneyCudathree007.JPG.df46b6bbf959319fcc307c9bbd691e34.JPG

...with most everything articulated above in place.  Note the rocker 'flashes', the cut exhaust tips, and the headlamp fill panels as described.

5a356782663b2_GurneyCudathree006.JPG.cbe463fdf9feb45c4022de1938cbfd53.JPG

...the view from the back, with the body-color tail panel in place and the small BELL helmets decal add shown to good effect.  More little things to come, while hopefully the other E-body projects can pick up steam for the availability of scattered new tool stuff.  Thanks for reviewing this update...

Mike K.

Edited by swede70

• 2 weeks later...

Kind thanks for the reply and Happy Holidays to everyone...

Although worried that I'd wreck an otherwise nice feature of the ACME model in the form of the 'machined lip' Minilite wheels, for the last two races of the 1970 Trans Am season all-white wheel were phased in.  Consistent with this knowledge, I opted to repaint my wheels with Tamiya Matt White.  Do as I say and not as I do should you go this route; i.e. heat the wheels and tires in very warm water to ensure that the wheels won't scuff the tires - albeit I acted in haste and did everything 'cold'.  Nevertheless, the wheel finish is virtually indistinguishable from the stock ACME issue, is resilient enough not to rub off onto the tires proper, and in total is very much in keeping with the late season look.  I will at some point add small strips of sheet plastic with tiny lengths of silver duct tape to do wheel weights to lend a further bit of visual interest here.  As for the revised wheels, see below:

5a4284a42d476_GurneyCudasix001.JPG.01e815a00fb52c04846a98c860ccba8c.JPG

...now mounted on the model, combined with lower ride height front and rear and still further revised exhaust dump detail, see below:

5a4285925c8b2_GurneyCudaeight005.JPG.43533d0eb9808ec54e7f7b2c4961b8ed.JPG

...given I want to replicate the Riverside D.G. retirement ride per se, it is important to replace the ACME front spoiler with a scratch built model of smaller dimension, paint the same matt black, and add the necessary Dzus fasteners (four then).  Here would be D. Gurney pursued by Swede Savage and Mark Donohue at Riverside bearing a damaged spoiler evidencing the otherwise absent fasteners:

dan-gurney-swede-savage-trans-am.jpg.74f5621aa06ad0444c5170947944deea.jpg

...constructed out of sheet plastic, painted and overlaid onto the standard ACME air dam just for reference purposes at this time, here sits the new air dam.  A Fred Cady 1:25th '70 Trans Am AAR 'Cuda waterslide sheet was used for the 'Plymouth' decal which would actually be the fender top decal resited and reemployed here as a 1:18th spoiler decal.  Do not use clear atop the Fred Cady decal for the decal will effectively dissolve; i.e. I had to do this twice over.  Dzus fasteners are 1:25th photoetched items held in place with Tamiya clear lacquer with the individual fasteners positioned with the use of a toothpick with a bit of petroleum jelly/lip balm dabbed on the end.  I suppose they could be larger, but who knows where to source 1:18th Dzus fasteners?:

5a42892017a23_GurneyCudaeight010.JPG.fe73b342ce75858e2076fb41a25c8928.JPG

...as noted above, the installation seen is temporary.  I'll use a spare front valence which I'll paint and build spoiler mounts upon to ensure that I can simply switch out new for old without harming the stock ACME assembly.  This way the modification will be guilt-free with the original serving as a spare to slip onto a different car if need be.  Whoops! - seems that the inside Dzus fasteners were sited a bit low relative to my reference photo.  I'll have to redo things, but doing such isn't a killer if you will.  Kind thanks for your reviewing this update...

Mike K.

Edited by swede70

A small further update this...:

Missing on the ACME release is any duct work guiding scale air to scale radiators just aft of the front valence.  Although very tedious to do from scratch seen below is something that serves the purpose.  Additionally, separate dams were fashioned to direct air alternately to the oil cooler as well as the aforementioned radiator matrix.  The cut outs seen accommodate the grille which tucks in close, whereas the rearmost ends of the assembly rest solidly upon the radiator support.  Done right, no glue is required to hold the assembly in place.  The fuzzy photo image shows the mock up, although contrasting this to the painted and installed image, know I'll have to repaint it aluminum to match the reference image seen in the previous post seen above.  

5a428e7a13688_SwedeCudaeighteen001.JPG.1e490a5beac7212dcabc3ee8d2345f0c.JPG

...the mock up positioned inside the valence on what I'll call an engineering hack of sorts...

5a428eee62e84_GurneyCudafive013.JPG.700b5bbb6b1d3fa5c37a542bd3142330.JPG

...and set in place, although begging if you will to be repainted aluminum given it shows up well when one examines the Riverside Mission Bell 250 image I've pasted in within the space of my previous submission.  Thanks...

Mike K.  

Edited by swede70

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

A host of small changes made on the 1:18th Gurney 'Cuda helps matters greatly.  Seen are new Patto's Place numerals moved about to suggest a late-season appearance, as well as accessory decals removed and replaced or overlaid with images a bit better registered or appropriately colored.  Happily I am report that the ACME decal work came off easily for simply scratching relevant images off with only the use of a fingernail.  Usually nail polish remover sans artificial coloring and cotton swabs in excess is the way to go here, but in this instance no measurable damage was done to the underlying surface for chipping off this image or that. 

Notice that the hood-situated #48 is positioned further forward, while the door numerals are now further apart.  The PP sheet didn't include driver identification for atop the door numerals, hence now-rare Fred Cady waterslide images were employed from his Trans Am-themed 1:25th sheets of old.  The driver identification decals have been positioned well forward reflecting again a late-season spec.  The Champion Spark Plugs, STP, BELL Helmets and Union 76 accessory decals are 1:25th waterslide images doing extra duty here in 1:18th land.

Also added has been a scratch built five-panel Wink interior rear view mirror, while mounts for the narrowed front spoiler have been fabricated so that the original ACME rendered version may be left off.  The exhaust dumps have been redone in brass tubing as well.  Last week I ordered an ACME '70 Autodynamics Challenger which I anticipate modifying in a like manner.  Thanks...

5a77813fcdbe4_GurneyCuda.thumb.jpg.8c6ad96685253cc4681ea14d66bdfe13.jpg

Edited by swede70

• 8 months later...

...consistent with the resuscitation of other threads I fitfully maintain, here's another...

Some time ago I broke down and purchased the ACME 1:18th Dan Gurney AAR 'Cuda racer, and so soon after I purchased the ACME Sam Posey Autodynamics Challenger racer even as it too is based upon a stock shell and chassis with only modest enhancements.  This said, I did decide to grab one, if only to do a low-key early season #77 with my other effort to be seen to completion as a late-season #76 as originally intended.  

-

The Autodynamics Challenger release isn't terrible, although for reasoned intervention one can improve it.  A few ideas follow:

posey_77_1.jpg

...in the pits, likely at Laguna Seca '70.  Note heavy strengthening bead on the edge of the front spoiler.  The ACME model features a ungainly shovel of a front spoiler akin to what the restored #77 runs, and this I decided had to go.  Somehow the pair of GOODYEAR markings otherwise present on the hood are absent here; i.e. perhaps this was in practice or before qualifying?

5bc916d138d20_PoseyChallengerfifteen005.JPG.d638485e9b1ac903cc59c59709cc9a25.JPG

...more shots of the same, with the collision damage likely resulting from contact with Peter Revson who came out second-best in a braking duel also at Laguna...

5bc916c9209a5_PoseyChallengereleven004.JPG.9eaa7fcb927c5ad7ef78e71edc3702d7.JPG

...sort of a recycled and old subassembly, this was a spoiler I did up for my original Challenger Trans Am project.  The bead is simply half round stock heated to cleanly reproduce the curves.  The scoop entries aren't all they could be given they should be higher, but alas, this is what I'm using to date.

5bc91692af44a_PoseyChallengerthirteen012.JPG.51213461d34b8904057fe942e1598ece.JPG

...the front spoiler in place, imperfect as it is.  Almost impossible to see are the waterslide decals afforded by a friend who took some scanned engine-turned surface detail and rendered a very impressive and convincing pattern that is used over the headlamp fill panels on this model.  The black scoop paint has also been extended a bit forward as well as contrasted to the standard ACME release.  Since this photo was taken, the blue and yellow Goodyear 'diamond' was removed (a hazardous undertaking this) and replaced with a black and white version of the same which I believe to be correct.  

5bc91caa8b5f4_Dodge20Challenger20Trans20Am20engine201970.jpg.7968cb8aa980432524cfdcc7ed0c78a9.jpg

...the topic under hood at Laguna Seca during tech.  Note the modified, albeit standard pressed-steel air cleaner housing with modifications to accommodate the twin breather setup, while doubled OEM air cleaners with a slightly smaller stock lid is also seen.  Given this setup was not replicated on the restored vehicle, I thought it would be nice to try to reproduce it in scale.  Suitable decals for all that is missing are coming - I hope!  

5bc91c2807d78_PoseyChallengerFortysix009.JPG.35cad7aee848f927db711fed5a5efe52.JPG

...the chassis then from the top, and a lot done even as most of it will vanish beneath paint.  From the front, the shock absorber mounts/inner fender detail was scratch built and copied in resin so that all my E-body Trans Am models will feature such.  The oil cooler pocket has been opened up, a small (perhaps marine?) battery was scratch built and set in place, an overflow/coolant reservoir has been added (also in resin), while a scratch built cage is clearly taking shape.  The cage is something of a low-key compromise given that the door hinge assemblies prevent the front of the cage from extending both fully forward and as wide laterally as I'd wish, while the rear of the cage is a bit of a cheat given the racer doesn't have a package shelf fitted per se.  Unlike the standard ACME release, the quarter panel interior trim will be painted black as is seen.  Stripping them wasn't a lot of fun, but it is possible - so there!

Moving along, one will note that I've opted to mount the dash board off of the firewall rather than attach the dash to the body as per ACME/Hwy. 61.  The design of the cage with the A-pillar bars cutting through the top of the standard dash pad corners (albeit shaved a bit from below to lighten the structure) necessitated such, while I've done things in a fashion designed to hide the structure I've worked up to do the job.  Note too the mount for the triple brake/clutch hydraulic systems as per the reference photo reproduced above.  Gone is the velour insert painted onto the stock ACME racing seat - hence the sticky 'comfort' of all-vinyl is afforded the scale driver.  Dead pedal to come, although with the screw bosses positioned where they are, doing something convincing will be tough...

Finally, for reference to the air cleaner assembly made above, also seen is an aluminum wine cooler cap that cut up, set upside down and combined with a pair of cast resin 6BBL Hwy. 61 AAR 'Cuda air cleaners employed to reproduce the pair of round stock elements, these finally topped off with a Hwy. 61 340 Dart air filter lid to complete matters.  Some tiny half round stock was used to form a lip on the aluminum cap, which the whole thing was cut down on the bottle itself for otherwise it proved difficult to handle.  The breathers were replaced with chromed resin Lane '68 Shelby GT500KR items, while the intake is a modified Hwy. 61 340 Dart part.  Happily the new ACME Trans Am headers live happily in-place and don't interfere with the new inner fender detail.  Whew!  

5bc91a6100724_PoseyChallengertwenty035.JPG.bcefd2538cdb2af71e3345237759d7bb.JPG

...and just in brief, I dislike the gloss finish applied to the roof, knowing the finish applied in-period was flat as all get out.  I ended up taping off the foil (thanks Tamiya!) and deliberately over sprayed the standard finish.  The A-pillar fresh air vent had to go given it only appeared mid-season, and hence it was removed and the mounting hole plugged before paint was applied here.  Another image across a later post will telegraph the use of 1:25th scale Fred Cady images to redo the lettering across either side of the roof - something that worked unexpectedly well.  Whoops - note too the refinished wheels wearing what translates best as Minilite magnesium alloy to me; i.e. namely Testor's MM Stainless Steel Buffing with a light overcoat of Tamiya Pearlescent Clear.  Thanks for reading my often clumsy copy.  More to come...

Mike K.

Edited by swede70
Absolutely awful copy that really needed to be scrubbed!

Thanks for your kind words and notice.  I ended up ordering the new Mike's Decals DG 'Cuda waterslide set and was happy indeed to note that some select images could be added to my 1:18th model even as I didn't strictly expect to discover such utility.  Thanks for your efforts to ensure that sheet had all that it features on it. 

Mike K.

Edited by swede70

9 hours ago, afx said:

I understand Mike has additional T/A sheets planned.  I have offered my assistance should he need it. 

Thanks again for your good example and fine 'start-to-finish' execution regarding such projects as it too inspires.  I've tried to gather up a few 'missing' Challenger images for this project given they effectively and sincerely mastered their rendition of the topic on the restored car, and have sent them to someone who intends to prepare such as quality water slide decals in turn.  I restricted myself to just three images desired, namely the Scat Pack Club logo, the 'DODGE' lettering on a silver oval field with font borrowed from the older 'Dodge Fever' ad. campaign, and finally, the early Keith Black Racing Engines disc decal that went through various iterations.  We'll see what transpires, whereas I really liked the sheet Mike's came up with and was delighted that the work was outsourced to Cartograf.  

-

...what follows is a fast succession of updates:

5bca3797a4274_PoseyChallengereighteen003.JPG.bd60eaaa3547aa31b5f8328d15c99fe3.JPG

...although not final, these would be old GMP Trans Am Camaro tires with revised resin rims done by me some time ago.  Although not all teams raced to the Goodyear truck and were afforded the 'blue line' tires uniformly, some entrants at the early 1970-season races wore such.  I think the rims and tires both will compliment the early-season look of this model, and help too to differentiate it from the late-season #76 version resting in pieces on my virtual work bench.  

5bca37a53d5c3_PoseyChallengerFortyfour006.JPG.c95d9e5f70e66f714bcbf9c85a692b33.JPG

...test fit of the cage less A-pillar bars.

5bca37b4673cb_PoseyChallengerFortyone001.JPG.31798afca17bdf34940d9edd4718e163.JPG

...rear suspension minus all the locating links.  Note I've used a Hwy. 61 '70 340 Dart 8 3/4 rear end.  

5bca37c14eafa_PoseyChallengerFortytwo002.JPG.5d13d67a2fc5b6a70c15821a861507d0.JPG

...although a bit big, note the transmission linkage bulge of sorts near the firewall and extending back.  It needs further work...

5bca37ca5648e_PoseyChallengerFortytwo007.JPG.61c1ae0b62f51c6df9a099e04d3e734b.JPG

...less chassis, but notice the 'GOODYEAR' lettering on either side of the hood scoop, the brighter and better-registered black and white Goodyear 'diamond' forward of the same, GMP cast hood pin detail (two) forward of the rear spoiler, and the new Fred Cady lettering on the roof even if it registers a bit small on this application.  

5bca37cf6e0a1_PoseyChallengertwentysix001.JPG.8993ac94253cf59a6e0c8e5ff50a1c40.JPG

...and lastly, the model together at an earlier moment with the tampo accessory decals wiped off and replaced with better-registered water slide decals.  Thanks for examining this update and great thanks for the kind words afforded.  

Mike K.

Edited by swede70

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

In the realm of detail changes performed on the 1:18th ACME Sam Posey Autodynamics Challenger Trans Am entry, there are a few items I specifically wished to see to before paint and reassembly work.  For reviewing the photographs attached, one will note that the rear bumper tool may be getting a bit old given irregularities show up along the bottom of the casting, whereas per photos, no overriders were fitted at the first event of the 1970 SCCA Trans Am season held at Laguna Seca.  With this in mind, I stripped the bumper I had in hand, worked to clean up the part while also doing away with the overriders, and filed off the unwanted cast-in trunk latch assembly from the back of this same assembly.  Further, the modest amount of casting flash could be removed from the bumper ends otherwise visible from the side, hence this too was cleaned up. The second photo effectively answers whether Hwy. 61/ACME parts can or may be rechromed, whereas I will likely cut sheet plastic masking elements in the shape of the individual turn signal lenses to help mask what requires it.  Certainly the bottom edge profile is markedly cleaner.

Moving on, also irksome was the inclusion of an Challenger R/T rear valance panel which translates as one that features twin exhaust tip cut outs.  This had to go, while the perforated license plate platform was likewise filed out and some discreet lip detail added to the top that is in turn barely visible with the bumper assembly installed. Additionally, the rear spoiler assembly struck me as too tall and having ends that were not shaped to tuck in from bottom to top to match the profile of the styling lower down.  I decided to sand the base of the spoiler to rid it of the cast in ledge while also taking time to sand the end profile so that they blend agreeably with what again is setup below. Lastly, some dedicated web searching turned up the elusive Classic Car Wax bumper sticker seen on the back of the topic from the Getty image likewise attached - hence I'll have something to start with in relation to producing a decal to mimic such.  Thanks for your reviewing this update...

Mike K.

5c0811286226c_PoseyChallengerFortyeight002.JPG.4dcdc3c5b1d8424e30ec9633191eeeb8.JPG

5c081122a2aec_PoseyChallengerFortyeight001.JPG.2288def6bd56f0bd31402d82bd48505e.JPG

5c08111d0b712_LagunaSeca1970rearenddetail.jpg.e3924a3206a4a9f0a5df44eb4e5c72c6.jpg

5c08112d4a084_PoseyChallengerFortyeight004.JPG.106d37a20aea7e31a9fc452317528834.JPG

M.K.

Edited by swede70