Model Cars Magazine Forum

Swede Savage Trans Am AAR 'Cuda Hwy. 61 based project

swede70

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the kind words and interest displayed...

I wasn't going to grab the new 1:18th ACME Swede Savage AAR 'Cuda '70 Road America (according to the decal placement seen) race release, but then it seems no one will soon do the model in the alternate color or tool up  much more or better at this point.  With this said, I might take up again was is intended to be a '70 Bridgehampton SCCA Trans Am Swede Savage project ; i.e. the one with the wider tires in white resin seen further up this thread.  What follows here are a few very discreet mods. that can be done  to help the version just released without declaring firm fidelity to 100% accuracy given I won't do much here.  As Dirty Harry relates to us through time, "..a man's got to know his limitations" -  or some such given so much I do doesn't strictly see an end!

5c368054ead6f_RoadAmericaCudaimage.jpg.adf3ef2a4e834133fbabfd0d4ecaed0a.jpg

...at least to the extent of matching the accessory decal markings, this would be the 1:1 car and driver doing their thing at Road America where Swede would finish a reasoned second.

5c36806fc6cb2_SavageRoadAmericaone008.JPG.5e62f15bc5c483c3b7f320f60cc2f526.JPG

...not much is really on view here, although I've scratched off the door-situated driver's identification decals (which come off cleanly, whereas a very lightly stamped down length to Tamiya tape across the numerals just below didn't damage them) were replaced with brighter, sharply registered markings from the new Mike's Decals 1:25th scale Dan Gurney/Swede Savage Trans Am AAR 'Cuda waterslide sheet now for sale.  Strange as it is to report, the new waterslide images of the 'SWEDE SAVAGE' lettering is rendered larger on the 1:25th sheet than on the model as-delivered, whereas applying replacement markings by hand allows one to shift thing about to align things with greater skill.  Other modest things discerned will be the flush exterior door handle detail washed with Testor's Model Master Magnesium Buffing given they'd come through done in black, while the jack point fluorescent flashes where first scrubbed out with acetone to be replaced with tiny lengths of R/C aircraft decorative vinyl tape.  The tape is thin and vibrant enough of color to eliminate from consideration water slide decal options that might otherwise be tapped.  

5c36806318350_SavageRoadAmericaone003.JPG.1edff0bf6329a1d3cc6f0ada3002fab1.JPG

...again, not a big deal here.  The ACME models come through with photo etched inner grille surround detail that is frankly unwanted.  In short, one would otherwise see tiny chrome trim around each thin opening each of the two little grilles here as per-stock, although these pieces can be prying out with tweezers for little risk.  Paint will chip off, although glue residue wasn't noticed by me.  Tamiya bottled Semi-Gloss Black/X18 is the stuff to use to touch-in any damage, while don't worry overmuch if the application of this would seem at first to obscure detail beneath.  For experience I've learned that the paint will air out and visibly thin consistent with affording you an invisible fix.  Unnoticed and by design, the grille inset 'PLYMOUTH' identification other present to the right was likewise painted out.  

Finally as even as not everyone will have such spares, I took a set of old Hwy. 61 front indicator lenses and painted them the same shade before using the pair as fill panels.  The ACME AAR 'Cuda race releases come through without these parts even as their absence is all but indiscernable.  Happily I have enough spares to cover all Barracuda project in relation to some of the little trim things; i.e. I needed three sets of the front turn indicator signal lenses to cover both ACME race releases and what is being done up solo on the project that begins this thread...

5c36807a47453_SavageRoadAmericaone020.JPG.50765a403077d7ce91e69c61263fc02c.JPG

...and kind of last of the little stuff (for now), I decided I didn't want the recent Goodwood Revival/DAN GURNEY FOR PRESIDENT bumpersticker on the back bumper.   And yes - I have the Car & Driver issue from 1964 with an inserted copy of the actual bumpersticker available in-period, hence I hope I'm still in good standing as a card-carrying Dan Gurney enthusiast.  As for the tiny bumper and the rendition of this marking in scale, now I know that it will scratch off without much effort.  I regret to relate that I comprehensively wrecked mine for attempting to remove the bumper entire, otherwise I would have had something to sell on eBay to recoup costs in a sense.  Thankfully I had a spare Hwy. 61 bumper to replace it, while at the same time I took the opportunity to touch in the spots atop the casting where one can see bare plastic consistent with the practice of chroming the part with it still being on a plastic tree or sprue.  Nothing beats a Molotow pen in this regard (o.k. - one could replate the entire thing!) , hence this looks a touch better for all the pain endured for wasting bumper number one.  Thanks for reading this update...

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70
...always cleaning up my complex copy then.

Thanks everyone for checking into my little hobby universe,

A short while back I did succeed in having a pair of small decals made up to support what may in time be three Autodynamics Challenger 1:18th diecast models, with these constituting a pair of modified ACME factory releases, as well as the outstanding #76 late-season entry with flares that stands to be completed.  I contacted someone by the name of Kenny Terry and did my best to work up what I needed, while he in turn did his best to afford us what we see here.  Note that while he would surely have this work on file, I only had him reproduce three decal images in total, hence it would be misleading to suggest that one could wholly reproduce what is seen here for simply making a call to place an order. 

5c37dbf0c373b_1970PoseyFBthree.jpg.94b7487ee1662706c582c6651399a63d.jpg5c37dbff1bbeb_1970PoseyFBfour.jpg.0d084d684b476ef766b8586a50cee840.jpg

Above left is seen a cropped underhood image of the Autodynamics Challenger at Laguna Seca '70. sourced from a period copy of Car Life.  The DODGE oval art employs font from the pre-'70 DODGE Fever advertising campaign, while from what little color period photos I've seen of the art, the lettering is black, while the field is grayish silver. A well meaning person online claims it was yellow and he'd seen an image confirming such, although this I've not (yet) discovered.  Towards the rear of the valve cover is found a Keith Black Racing Engines disc decal less the sometimes seen 'Black Magic' reference, while finally, the photo to the right depicts the images stacked two deep for color and clarity on my converted ACME #77.  A sharpened brass tube was used to punch out the KB decals given trimming something so small  accurately otherwise proved impossible.

5c37dc0ce2342_1970PoseyFBfive.jpg.958b1e5e723beae601ba739bbaffcf73.jpg

5c37dc15573a5_1970PoseyFBsix.jpg.36ca5698279f4f49271702fc6f305d93.jpg

...and for scrambling a bit, I changed over all of the accessory markings after having first washed off the old.  The reference photo is again from the Laguna Seca contest in 1970, the first of the season in fact.  As would be expected, the appearance of the car altered slightly for decal placement, etc. all year long.

Difficult to see, I did have the Dodge Scat Pack Club disc decal made up, while the Keith Black image is a duplicate of what is seen underhood on the rear of the valve cover face.  Everything else was cobbled up from my limited store of waterslides saved for situations like this.  The DSPC image was eventually cut out with a fortuitously sized hole punch, although I killed quite a few for not having the image on-center relative to the position of the punch.  

Notice again the GOODYEAR decals added to the hood on opposite sides of the scoop, as well as the black and white GOODYEAR diamond logo situated right forward of the #77 i.d. on the hood.  The blue and yellow GOODYEAR diamond seen on the restored 1:1 vehicle is incorrect.  And just in passing, the slightly muddy SCCA Trans-American Championship decal was sourced from a 1:25th AMT Warren Tope Mustang plastic kit reissue.  Thanks for reviewing this update...

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70
...always revising then.

• 4 months later...

Greetings,

Not of huge shattering interest, nevertheless some work has been performed on the #77 Challenger to the extent of better fitting the roll cage A-pillar bars and blending them to mesh well with the dashboard ends situated just beneath.  The old dash was ruined for misjudging where to file the ends to make way for the bars passing atop each, hence a replacement was sought with the bottom half trimmed off as per the actual race car; i.e. the standard pad visible across the top was retained, while the heavy stock structure beneath isn't.  Seen too are new interior panels, with the driver's side cut out to accommodate a roll cage side bar as shown.  A literal challenge it is/was to ensure everything rests level, symmetrical, and tight overall.  

The seat mount has received work, while in relation to the suspension I hope/intend to reproduce the very unique locating links/design employed on the rear in particular.  Slightly revised GMP Trans-Am Camaro tires might be added if the markings on the new Donohue and Yunick releases are judged superior and are of course sold separately.  Will I ever paint anything I fabricate?  Stay tuned for the next belated installment to learn more!  

5ceb1a42265b4_PoseyChallengerFortysix001.JPG.9194556a5a9cc8fe463dac9847ca4cc4.JPG5ceb1a4e56ca4_PoseyChallengerFortysix002.JPG.563690ff90890d8fec299cffcd8633bc.JPG5ceb1a5a06b39_PoseyChallengerFortysix005.JPG.56cbab45689f096a7780213510b69714.JPG5ceb1a65e7a96_PoseyChallengerFortysix004.JPG.f32dd33ce0861d385887249bd15fde82.JPG

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

• 10 months later...

Greetings and another project dredged from the bottom of the Marianas trench...

Here would be a mash of older assemblies put back on wheels.  The interior panel work, half-done before, needed fettling to ensure everything would coexist when assembled.  In particular, the large resin tire worked up for the more detailed Hwy. 61-based Swede Savage AAR 'Cuda required the creation of minitubs necessitating the sacrifice of a second chassis.  

665837751_AAR2.jpg.870646b86200bb2424a6f3a2cfc0720b.jpg

...the topic again,  seen at Bridgehampton, NY. '70.  Gary Larsen image.

1245752891_1970AARCudaSwedeSavagerevisited3001.thumb.JPG.78fbc973ee6957abe2662820b0ab2364.JPG

...and my rendition, sporting a new shell and various new tool ACME bits very kindly afforded by ijb40.  

1845987135_AAR18.JPG.86ad8d03411428891646270b2c0bc74f.JPG

...just the minitubs and interior panel work in-place looking aft.

454209242_AAR20.JPG.c5194b03325f5f93005a178fda1f31b4.JPG

...and the same basic stuff looking forward.  Raw in some ways, but not awful.  Rear flares done in the style of my '70 Chaparral Camaro are peculating and will be fashioned next.  Kind thanks for your review of this project update.

Mike K./Swede70  

Greetings,

For some effort made the rear flares for the Swede Savage 'Cuda project were done across the past few days.  Resin was poured into cordoned off areas on a spare shell, the resultant pucks removed, and the results filed and sanded to yield what is seen below.  Thanks...

573202610_WatkinsGlen70interiorfour.jpg.b2c4a005d9bab40f203c9d261086006a.jpg

A study of the topic at Watkins Glen '70.  Subtle flaring indeed...

1758265896_1970AARCudaSwedeSavagerevisited7005.JPG.06f9a4230baebd98c3b53b94297e3abf.JPG

...pretty close, although my sanding stick supply is pretty much exhausted during these COVID-19 times.  Refinements may have to wait.

889404243_1970AARCudaSwedeSavagerevisited7006.JPG.536f8912dabcdb6a368b6159ab90cbcd.JPG

605447509_1970AARCudaSwedeSavagerevisited7007.JPG.355ad5decca46b674bcb5674d61c660b.JPG

...the rear wheels and tires stand to come out a bit as I adjust the track.  First I must file out the standard wheel arch openings to allow such, hence the flares will serve as flares!

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70