Model Cars Magazine Forum

NASA Pete 1/25

Tim, thank you for the spec´s. I didn´t think of the possibility that the BBC could be even longer. But it´s probably true because when I squeeze my 12v71 in, there is not room enough under the hood for a deep-core radiator. For the shutters I have the same piece as used for my logger. I only modified it a little to be a bit longer. I never knew the wheelbase figure. Got some tips but each was different. So, I stopped caring and just made a scale drawing with WB estimated from the photos. 235" is 238 milimeters in 1/25 scale. My estimated WB is 240 milimeters. Not bad, I think.

I think there is one more build idea... the 1100 series cab combined with either full walk-on fenders or the shortened ones with bigger fuel tanks. I chose the recabbed version because it looks even more weird.

I started my build as usual with the engine. I didn´t have the buzzin´ dozen but I had two 6v71s which I combined to get a 12v71.

PB012894_zpsrx6msh0k.jpg

PB032904_zpsqoptuvme.jpg

PB152930_zpstfgpogii.jpg

PB242948_zpsnavca5kf.jpg

PB242950_zps7dceqlgy.jpg

PB242951_zps6etdsdzj.jpg

PB242952_zps02xbssog.jpg 

More to follow.

Can you tell me how you painted (what you used) the exhaust manifold ?

It looks great.

Thanks

Great project Jarda and some impressive scratch building.  Your bolt detail is excellent.  Are you cutting the bolt heads from Evergreen hex rod?  If so how are you able to make the thickness so uniform?

No, it´s not salami sliced hex rod. I prefer punch and die instead. I never achieved even cuts slicing the hex rod. Working with punch and die is slower but the nuts are one like the other.. I also use cast nuts and bolts by Plus Model. They offer a few sizes and a variation of nuts and bolt heads like with or without washers. 

Can you tell me how you painted (what you used) the exhaust manifold ?

It looks great.

Thanks

I painted the exhaust manifold with enamel colors by Revell or Humbrol. I use thick color straigh from the can and stipple it with brush to get a bit rough surface. Starting with dark shade as a base I dry-brush lighter shades of brown to orcher later. You can try oil colors as well for dry-brushing, but that would probably require a layer of acrylic clear to keep the enamel undamaged. I usually add some pigment powder later on to get a dry look. In my case just grated chalk. But that´s not in the photos yet.

Thanks for your interest.

Edited by truckabilly

No, it´s not slami sliced hex rod. I prefer punch and die instead. I never achieved even cuts slicing the hex rod. Working with punch and die is slower but the nuts are one like the other.. I also use cast nuts and bolts by Plus Model. They offer a few sizes and a variation of nuts and bolt heads like with or without washers. 

Thanks Jarda.  If I can ask another question where did you find a hex shaped punch set?

I love these kind of projects.  Using modeling to tell the story of a historic or significant vehicle.  Keep it coming.

Edited by afx

Jarda...this is a fascinating project and your work so far is truly inspirational.  

I don't normally follow the Big Rig forums that closely; but there are several mentions of your prior logger truck project.  Is there a place I could look at that as well?  

Cheers and keep up the inspiring work!   TIM BOYD 

No, it´s not salami sliced hex rod. I prefer punch and die instead. I never achieved even cuts slicing the hex rod. Working with punch and die is slower but the nuts are one like the other.. I also use cast nuts and bolts by Plus Model. They offer a few sizes and a variation of nuts and bolt heads like with or without washers. 

I painted the exhaust manifold with enamel colors by Revell or Humbrol. I use thick color straigh from the can and stipple it with brush to get a bit rough surface. Starting with dark shade as a base I dry-brush lighter shades of brown to orcher later. You can try oil colors as well for dry-brushing, but that would probably require a layer of acrylic clear to keep the enamel undamaged. I usually add some pigment powder later on to get a dry look. In my case just grated chalk. But that´s not in the photos yet.

Thanks for your interest.

Regarding the painting of the exahust manifold.   Thanks, that's over my head !

I'm a newbie in that area.

It would be great if someone could do a step by step on this kind of technique here or on YouTube so us newbie's could learn it.   Your description sounds like when I ask my Mom for her recipe for something and she just starts rattling off " some of this, a bit of that.. ".   Us newbies need step-by-step detail with paint color codes, etc. so we can reproduce something and learn how to do it.  But thanks for the reply !!

Even though the front axle is not attached yet, here is an overall look on the chassis with engine.

The 1100 series cab taken from RoG kit is is slightly modified for butterfly hood. I want to the hood to be functional, so I made the basic parts and did a little bit of test fitting.

I did not work very well lengthwise. I had to extend the frame a little. Here is where I cut it.

Unfortunatelly, I have no photo of the glued-back-together frame but you will see it next time with fenders in place.