Model Cars Magazine Forum

NASA Pete 1/25

Thanks a lot, guys. I added some wiring to trailer chassis as well. It´s not according to the real lines and valves. It´s just a few lines around the frame so that the space would not seem to be empty.

I also added the steering mechanism to Peterbilt frame.

This is few more details of the the trans case linkage. It probably won´t be visible at all, but you know....    it´s just for the feeling.

The fuel tanks stripes are PE items of CTM.

That´s it for now. Thanks for looking.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you guys. I´ve got a little bit of progress again. I attached the anti slip layer on the fenders made of sand paper. The problem with the sand paper is that it collects the dust. So I brushed it with a layer of Sidolux - something like Future Wax. As it appeared too glossy I had to add yet another layer of matt varnish. Still it was too black so I used white oil color to fade it. It´s a bit complicated but I hope it works fine.

Yeah, the fifth wheel is its place too. It took a while to install it because the the holes for pivots were not aligned very well. These are the real anti slip "carpets" as photographed by Jeff Lakaszcyck.

I also attached the exhaust piping under the frame. I chipped the silver gunze off the rusty base color using the AK Interactive chipping effect.

And the view on the real thing.

I just hope that my piping will meet the smoke stacks behind the cab without any serious problem. All for now.

• 4 weeks later...

I don´t seem to take logical steps in this build.  Instead of finishing the chassis, cab, trailer equipment and so on, I am jumping from one thing to another and back again. Adding a detail here and a sub-assembly there, this build has still a long way to go. But I´ve finally taken one big step - the white painting. I sprayed white GSI over a black surfacer and then I added a layer of gloss clear to get a smooth skin for decals. They are in the making, can´t wait to get them.

I added some details in the front section of the trailer. The smaller electric motors and pumps are in place just as the tubing on the trailer side. The big electric motor with the three pumps is just sitting on the frame. I made a pair of glad hands too. 

After I get the decals I can continue with the weathering. Till then it´s just details and details and yet another details. 

• 2 weeks later...

This thing is absolutely INSANE !!!!! What an amazing job.....The detail is astounding......You have some amazing skill, my man......Amazing skill....This is very good.....I think NASA might be interested in acquiring this for Space Center Houston or something......This thing is going to be a work of art......An absolute work of ART.....

Thank you all for your kind words. This project is really beyond my league but I´ll keep on fighting. The progress seems to be slow now since I am working on some small details. But I´ll have more pics when there is a real visible difference on the model.

This thing is absolutely INSANE !!!!! What an amazing job.....The detail is astounding......You have some amazing skill, my man......Amazing skill....This is very good.....I think NASA might be interested in acquiring this for Space Center Houston or something......This thing is going to be a work of art......An absolute work of ART.....

NASA should have kept the real truck on display somewhere. But they don´t seem to be intersted in anything but spacecraft. Hopefully at least one of the remaining trucks gets in the hands of a private collector. But they (NASA) already deprived some Peterbilts of their special equipment and they´re destined for auction as regular trucks. That´s why I am building this model. For after decades of service the real trucks may vanish just like that.

Hello Jarda, your model is just unbelievable. The Subject, is just Out of this world. if it wasn't for modelers, some of the most unusual looking  trucks would disappear form the face of the Earth. Keep up the good work on the Model, once NASA gets rid of vehicle is gone forever. Thanks for bringing it to Life, even if it is only a Model.

Ronnie:D