Model Cars Magazine Forum

NASA Pete 1/25

Thank you guys, I am glad you like it. I promised you fenders, here they are. Using 0,8 mm sheet I cut out patterns of stepboard fenders, triangle inserts and fuel tank brackets.

The hood lower boards are glued to the grill and added to the frame.

The rear fenders are made of the same material. I was inspired by someone here on the forum who made custom fenders. I just made ordinary fenders that way. I cut out four identical sides and two stripes. I glued the stripes on top of the side edges and added round rod inside. Then I cut the sides to shape and rounded corners. I hope that pictures will explain it better than words.

Up next: problems.

• 1 month later...

Well..., I got stuck in a fenders problem. I made a mistake in my very first step when I used the cross members part from the Revell kit. I did not think the cross members span would be of any importance untill I wanted to attach the rear fenders. Their holders should match the position of the cross members but it did not work on my model. I did not want to give up this feature so I cut one of the cross members out of the frame, turned it around to swap LH / RH sides and glued it back again. This moved the cross member closer to rear axles and the fenders now fit a lot better. I hope the picture explains it better.

The exhaust system consists of solid and flexible parts and shutters that route the fumes to the heat exchanger. The best way to replicate the flexible tubing is using a straw. But I could not find a straw thin enough for 1-25 scale. So, I wrapped a copper wire around a piece of cable instead. It is not as good as a straw would be but I hope it does not look that bad.

That´s the latest up date and I keep on working.

beautiful as is, too pretty to paint.  ;-))

Speaking of paint...   I am thinking of what colour I should use for the chassis. Photographed under bright sun it appears to be sort of greyish blue to me. Maybe something similar to what the marine war planes wear. Any tips or ideas? I´d like to hear them.

Thank you all. I carry on with a pair of exhausts or smoke stacks if you will. They are made of aluminium tubes K&S, Evergreen stock and CTM PE parts. They are supposed to go to a 1-24 scale model but I think it is not that much difference.

Some parts like the brackets and rain caps are still missing.

The heat exchanger needed a tailpipe. I made mine out of aluminium sheet. It is going to fall off at least ten times by the time the model is finished, I am afraid :D

The steering box and assist rod is another story as I do not know how and where the assist rod is attached to the chassis. I made this strange looking pillar to hold it. Maybe it hangs too low but I shortened the pitman arm three times already.

And one more detail. I do not know what it is but it is there.

As always, photos of the real thing were kindly taken by Jeff Lakaszcyck of Kennedy Space Center.