Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heat and Stored Built Model cars and trucks

I know it has been discussed on here many many times about heat and store model kits in the box, but my question is how model cars and trucks that are built and stored in a hot garage over the summer and freezing cold during the winter. The reason for my question is that I have to sell my display case and store all my built models in the garage and where I live can get to 110 in the summer and freezing in the winter, is there any adverse effects on the built models from those temp ranges, I will have them in the smaller amt plastic display cases but no longer will they be in a constant 70 degree atmosphere.

Edited by Darren B

Darren...  Here they seem to stay ok or close in the box they came from but anything not climate controlled is a risk....I just recently lost a bunch of stuff or had damaged done due to a tornado we had here so I guess no place is really that safe in the end.  Dark areas would be advised they will have less heat rather than the sunlight on them even if in boxes...good luck.

thanks guys, I feel better now, I will for sure keep them in the amt plastic display cases then keep them in some cupboards that I have in the garage to keep them out of light, this helps a great deal thank you for the quick response. You can not get any harsher than Arizona, that is pretty hot there, we do not see anything as hot as Phoenix here in New Mexico so I should be golden!!!

Edited by Darren B

I remember back when I first got into models, I'd be at a flea market and I'd see old 1950s promos all bent up and warped.  Seller would say, "Probably stored in an attic."  and I was worried.  Since then I learned all about warping promos and it had nothing to do with heat.  Models are pretty inert, and store well in a wide temperature range.  But things you need to consider in storage...  keeping them away from any bug or rodent problems. Wrap them well but with built models beware of storing them in contact with anything that could react with them like plastic bags and especially packing peanuts.  The biodegradable ones can turn to mush with contact with humidity (as they're designed to do in a landfill) and others could react and stick to painted surfaces.  I'm sure others will have other suggestions

My kits fair well in the garage. I live in Wisconsin where we can have temps from 20 below zero to 100 degrees. The only thing I would say is wrap tires in paper toweling to keep them from reacting with the styrene in vintage kits. I am not sure how modern tire formulations react, but I take no chances.

I have many built and unbuilt kits going back for over 40 years. Most of the issues I have experienced is heat related. It seams that the biggest problems have come from the tires. They seem to leave marks on anything they come in contact with while in storage. They have left marks on bodies and decals are the worst things to worry about. Some of the early builds I have had the tires come off the rims and leave some nasty marks in the paint and even the bodies in some cases. Your idea of using the display cases will go a long way. One thing I have found that has seamed to help is to wrap the model in a soft paper towels before placing them in a case. This will help to protect the model from bouncing around inside the case. I think heat and humidity will be your biggest challenges. If at all possible you should try to store your models in the most temperate part of your home.    

1. I have to agree on the tire burns. I think the heat activates the tires melting the plastic. The hubcaps and inner wheels melt like crazy.
  2. Once the plastic melts, it stays soft and gooey forever

I don't believe that the tire burn is from heat. It's a chemical reaction as the tire material ages and breaks down.  One of the tips to keep those tires from melting the rims is to put a coating of Bare Metal Foil over the rim where it makes contact with the tire.  That wouldn't be heat related.

I don't believe that the tire burn is from heat. It's a chemical reaction as the tire material ages and breaks down.  One of the tips to keep those tires from melting the rims is to put a coating of Bare Metal Foil over the rim where it makes contact with the tire.  That wouldn't be heat related.

Acrylic paint or Future also works for this. Not enamel--the vinyl will "melt" the enamel just like styrene.