Model Cars Magazine Forum

My second completed Revell '29A Kitbash - a '30A Five Window Coupe Traditional Hot Rod

tim boyd

The blue one is outstanding, Tim, but the gunmetal coupe is stunning!  

Great work on both!

Danno....thanks for that.  The gunmetal metallic HIghboy coupe was the subject of an eight-page how-to in the other model magazine about a year ago, for those that might be interested in building something like it.  It also uses the Replicas and Miniatures body, and a "J2"-style early Olds OHV V8 largely from the Revell '50 Olds Custom kit.  The interior is heavily kitbashed from parts in that Rat Roaster kit referenced directly above, which also provided the wheels and rear tires.  Best regards...TIM 

Without taking up space to thank each of you that commented individually, I really do appreciate the feedback and comments on this build.  As I alluded to, not everything turned out exactly the way I wanted, but the overall build theme (yes, it was inspired in part by what our UK and European hot rodding brethren are doing these days) I think was largely achieved.  

Of course, my hope is that the model, and the commentary that has followed so far, inspires many of you to take up the cause and do your own kitbashes using this basic kit, and to later share your work iwth us here.  This is what really charges me up about our hobby and motivates me personally to continue to build models, share them here, and show how to build something similar in the pages of our two excellent model car magazines these days.   Cheers...TIM  

agreed. the blue with the wheels...very nice choice! like it.

Thanks Dominik.  I'm trying to visualize this one jamming down the Autobahn between Koln and Frankfurt (when the traffic is light and the speed limit zone signs are off), and somehow the imagery just doesn't mix.  

But I'll bet there are still plenty of backwoods German roads where it would fit right in, not to mention some of the coastal European and UK rod runs I've seen covered in the rod magazines here in the States.   

Cheers...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Ron...thanks.  Actually, my take is that the kit was created both for those who enjoy building a box-stock model car with innovative and fun assembly and a visual result that looks killer, as well as for those like us who like to kitbash.

I realize that probably sounds like a bunch of corporate publicity (I could use another word here but I'd get banned!).  But in this case, based on what I know about the development of the kit and those people who were involved in its creation, I think this is a correct statement.  In any case, it's served both purposes for me.  

Appreciate  your perspective on this, and again, thanks for the comments on my build.   Best Regards....TIM    

Fantastic!

Thanks Chris.  I finally got the header extensions finished.  They're slightly cut down from the 390 T-Bird "megaphone" style header extensions from the AMT/Lindberg '34 Ford pickup custom version.  The ends were drilled open, I finally got a semi-decent Alclad Chrome Finish on them.  After two attempts to glue the driver's side header in place....as of last night, finally....success!  

Working now on the how-to article.  This model,  its flat dark blue finish, seems to photograph really well against a plain white background.  

For those of you planning to attend the 36th(!) NNL Nationals in Toledo ext weekend, I plan to have it there in the "Traditional Hot Rod Cult Theme" table on the back wall,  adjacent to the model car magazine photo booths.  Cheers....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd