Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mad Max Gigahorse

Ridge Rider

I've decided to do my first wip and see where it goes.  My main concern was tire source but I think I have figured that out. I have not figured out the engine and turbos as far as the easiest way to represent them but I'll have some time to figure it out.  Progress will be slow to start (work) but hope to complete by spring.

latest?cb=20150427175606

Some of the main parts sources.

005.thumb.JPG.065563cfa925edd7fa68eea941

Edited by Ridge Rider

You got a BIG project ahead!!!!!!

I started gathering items needed,,,,,,,I must have spent $100 on toy tractor tires before I got the right ones!!! 

Personal life got in the way as soon as I got everything together......my Dad passed unexpectedly. So I am stalled......

Good luck...I'll be watching for sure. 

PS...I did build this.....while I was restricted to wheelchair for some foot surgery!!!

LEGOMM5.JPG

LEGOMM7.JPG

Pictures posted I am off and rolling. The tires.  They scale to about 3 inches for the back and 2 for the front. Not the easiest thing to find.  Going thru the spare parts I found that the early Monogram monster trucks were 1/24 scale and 3 inches.  The AMT 1/32 USA 1 snap kit has 2 inch tall tires.  They of course are to wide.  The front is about 5/8 wide and the rears are about 7/8.  My solution was to lay the tire on the bench, shim an exacto  knife to half those measurements and slowly turn the tires to score a line.  I then continued following this line making deeper cuts until the were separated.  They are not exact replicas but with some time and super glue this is what I am going with.

001.thumb.JPG.2f2150eee4135f118af87078f9

After all the surgery.

002.thumb.JPG.0511987edec64724d6425a55ed

And some of the parts to try to make convincing wheels.

004.thumb.JPG.c6102edcc58b852c503e5de6ec

I'm having trouble finding a picture showing how deep and the look of the bolt pattern for rear duals.  It may be whatever I think it should be.  Wheel work to come.  Thanks for looking.

Edited by Ridge Rider

First off thanks for the interest and encouragement .  I was kind of hoping someone would have tackled this beast before me but this is also why I am sharing this build. This will take me to task and it will not be an exact replica because of skill, resources, and knowledge of the actual two that were built  ( which are not the same).  In saying that, I am trying to do the best representation I can and hope to encourage others to build and share.  I am open to all input on this build and will grab my popcorn too.  Dave, I did put in the dvd and it looks like the depth is to the face of the second wheel but no real bolt pattern. Thanks though it did help. Working on wheels, hope to have done tomorrow with pics. 

Well with lots of cutting, grinding, and sanding i am calling the wheels done.

I took the first row of parts, modified them (second row) and ended up with the duel wheel.

gigahorse_004.thumb.JPG.e1aea94def616ac1gigahorse_008.thumb.JPG.540b4082762fef87gigahorse_010.thumb.JPG.674a11e14d0dd797gigahorse_016.thumb.JPG.562f0ffb3735c1b8

And I had to go here.

gigahorse_009.thumb.JPG.aeebd0f409bbc421

Lots of work ahead.  The next step is to remove the molded in trim (highlighted with black sharpie) on both bodies.   Then clean up the mold lines and start cutting.  Thanks for looking

gigahorse_017.thumb.JPG.ba5e7dd280c457e6

Edited by Ridge Rider
add photo

The bottom caddy will be widened so I cut off the front and found center and marked it.  Before I cut I, added horizontal bracing off the door and a couple roof to firewall braces.  I will remove them and repair the damage when they are no longer needed.  

gigahorse_001.thumb.JPG.36558994254693fc

After sawing in half I can now figure out how much it needs to be widened. This task would very frustrating without the horizontal braces.

gigahorse_004.thumb.JPG.73986a203909280e

gigahorse_003.thumb.JPG.898925ed6ba2e491

It looks like I need to add 3/4 inch in width.  I mark my sacrificial body and will cut the needed strip.

gigahorse_005.thumb.JPG.055d1b874b4b57e6

Even though most off this roof and trunk will be removed it will make it easier to work with and keep straight. Thanks for looking

Edited by Ridge Rider

The aftermath of the donor surgery, kind of sad looking.

gigahorse_002.thumb.JPG.228c8f6551c2aa5c

But I am pleased with the results and it glued up with little trouble.  I removed the plastic to the front edge of the doors and made a wider vent for the wiper area.  Up next is firewall and widening a floor pan.

gigahorse_001.thumb.JPG.7302d3a7c237c5c6 Having fun-thanks for looking and your comments.  

Edited by Ridge Rider

The pan contains half of the firewall and needs to be widened 3/4" like the body.  The body sits on a custom box frame so the trans tunnel was eliminated from both pans giving me 4 equal parts that together are 3/4" wider than the original.

gigahorse_001.thumb.JPG.93bd1d997f345aa2

I still am doing cleanup and prep on the pan but will cut at the dotted line across the pan and up the door panel.  In doing this I can finish framing in the firewall permanently but will be able to remove the pan to finish the interior. 

gigahorse_005.thumb.JPG.ac2312515f5e03a4

I will use parts of the chassis although the molded in frame will have to go and it needs widened.  What I am needing is the reference/locating point of the seat pan which are highlighted in black.

gigahorse_006.thumb.JPG.59b9913deab9973f

The dash has been widened 3/4".  It will take a little body work and filing but it is close. I cut the 3/4" filler out of the top dash and split the bottom one in half. Sorry the fuzzy pic.

gigahorse_002.thumb.JPG.1ee7686c57de31a0

It will need some material at the windshield edge.

gigahorse_011.thumb.JPG.099a5bcce099118c

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Ridge Rider

Making some progress on the firewall.  I will be framing in the corners and bumping out the upper center next.  The blue pieces in front of the door came from the donor car door.  They were shaped to fit and simply glued behind the actual door.

gigahorse_003.thumb.JPG.55edf33df82cc36f

Also started work on the bumpers.  The rear bumper for the upper car has the licence plate cavity opened up and the lower part of the trunk that is molded to the bumper was also removed.  The lower bumper will be split down the center and widened 3/4" before it gets similar modifications.

gigahorse_008.thumb.JPG.17ab5da709c7014f

The front grill/bumper was sectioned because  the space between the upper and lower lights was increased to accommodate the new cattle guard type bumper.  It should also make building the front end much easier.  Some progress on the hood and headlight section.

gigahorse_001.thumb.JPG.ebbb71453589f285

And a little better picture of the dash with some light cleanup done.  

gigahorse_005.thumb.JPG.a5723b1a6e977ff8

Thanks for looking

Edited by Ridge Rider