Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mad Max Gigahorse

Ridge Rider

It's great seeing an update on this amazing build. I love the fact that they made these cars work and not just look the part for the cameras. They could easily have faked it but they put the time and effort into actually making them work. It's a shame most of them were trashed after production ended. 

21 hours ago, Ridge Rider said:

Thanks for the continued interest everyone.  I got tired of all these little engine pieces lying on my bench waiting to get lost.  So I finished the engine assembly to get the creative juices flowing.  Hopefully more to come soon,  I'm liking the progress.  Thanks for looking.

Oh HELL yeah!!!!!!!! I've been waiting for this for a LONG time!!!!!!!!  sSig_Muahaha_zps56835599.gif

11 hours ago, oldrevellfan said:

wonderfull work !! astonishing detail !! but why didn't you open the front grille?

I am not too sure why because it was some time ago.  I would guess that the way it was cut up and reinforced while building it, I probably didn't think it was worth the risk to destroy it and buy more kits.  It is going to be one of the painting problems I see happening and if I'm not happy with the look I might have to try.

Hello everyone, thanks for the continued interest in this build.  I have yet to start the flamethrower but did get the harpoons finished that attach to the rear bulkhead.   It took me a surprising amount of time to figure the turbos orientation and mounting positions.  I do believe the engines should be moved about an 1/8 inch each closer together to be more similar to the 1:1.  I'm not to sure in all the scaling and test fitting how I missed it by that much but I will make it work as is. To those who aren't to familiar, in 1/25 scale it is not quite so noticeable but on the real Gigahorse this would be about six inches closer together than I'm representing.  Yes it bothers me but not enough to redo the gearbox or motor mounts-at least not yet.:blink:  These are staged reference pictures and all these components are yet to be glued if something looks weird. Thanks for looking.

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and compliments.  I got sidetracked from the flamethrower with the exhaust after establishing the turbos.  They turned out a little different than the 1:1 with their spacing and angles, and are the second set I built, but it is what it is.  I debated sharing this progress because they need cleaned up and detailed but it is the most uncluttered look before other components are added.  I am working on it, it just doesn't really show it.  Thanks for looking.

IMG_1587.JPG

IMG_1590.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, thanks for your continued support.  I am still working on this and have some progress to share.

After many patterns with wire and many more with .080" rod (the mess above)I think I have workable radiator hoses.

IMG_1616.thumb.JPG.e1d5e53d781669d9b1c81875bd83a083.JPG

I finished the exhaust.

IMG_1594.thumb.JPG.208c5ea486567d9133009ed88d91bba6.JPG

I used this tape, which is self adhesive, cut to 1/8" wide.  I applied it and then colored it with watered down acrylic paint.  It slightly curls the leading edge but the adhesive seams to hold fairly well.  I also made a paper pattern for the flame thrower and laminated three .060" thick styrene to carve the flame thrower.

IMG_1617.thumb.JPG.50858947d04e703acc1655985c3a2801.JPG

After attempting panel lines and some color I think it works and I can move forward with it.

IMG_1606.thumb.JPG.454a54f3cd96abf4fe3de27d4820fa1e.JPG