Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mad Max Gigahorse

Ridge Rider

Thanks for the support.  I needed to box out and build the upper window frames as well as reshaping the rear wheel skirt.  I also established the upper floor but needed to shim the rear edge .040" to give me 1 3/8" clearance from the roof.  After many screen shot views and measurements I believe the rear door to be 1 1/4" tall and 7/8" wide.  This will be the starting point anyways.  Hope to work on it this weekend.  Thanks for looking.

gigahorse_001.thumb.JPG.3272e71698231f17gigahorse_002.thumb.JPG.b6ef8828e44e5df9

Edited by Ridge Rider

I have to agree Simon, you have a nice collection there.  Thanks for sharing.  Since I'm here- a little update.  It needs a little clean up and detail and the door needs hinged and a peep hole but the rough framing for trunk area is done.  Well also all the weaponry and floor mat and...:D but it is good progress.  Next though is interior framing.  Thanks for looking.

gigahorse_013.thumb.JPG.c45e0a24e88c6496gigahorse_014.thumb.JPG.0b90f04dc534e25b

Edited by Ridge Rider

I hadn't seen this thread before, nor the Gigahorse but everything from the original vehicle to the intricate and detailed work you are doing is amazing.  

I know that your work will be weathered and this won't be an issue for you but I'd like to mention something -   Folks beware of using Sharpies to mark bodies.  You will need to make sure it's all gone prior to applying any paint.  It will run with certain paints.  Ask me how I know!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Thank you all for the encouragement,  and that is some go info Tom on the Sharpie.  I was using a mechanical pencil but I was having trouble with my own eyes and photos in seeing my marks.  I hope there are no problems.  Not much new but I have been doing a lot of work and sometimes you need to do quick mockup for perspective as well as motivation.  The engine bay as of now looks very big but I am confident it will be right when it gets filled in.  These photos get me excited for whats to come.

013.thumb.JPG.b439cb058e0377b7421b86336d015.thumb.JPG.fd55e542d018721aace195b987016.thumb.JPG.166bab721b9fd0b9dcec136730

I am still open to any ideas on sources for engines,superchargers, and air filters. This project is the proverbial - How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time.  But it is a big and fun challenge.  Thanks for looking. 

Edited by Ridge Rider

The engines has dual turbochargers, intercoolers and superchargers so it's a bit busy and kind of overkill...it's probably possible to have this kind of setup on a real engine but these are most likely fake and don't work as it's a movie car, they are just there to look cool.
The War Rig looks to have two supercharged engines too but I belive the original diesel is still there and drives the truck as black diesel smoke comes out of the the stacks on some places in the movie.
I remember lots of the cars in the old Mad Max movies that had different carburator, injector and blower setups screwed on to the top of the hoods and was non working.

The engines has dual turbochargers, intercoolers and superchargers so it's a bit busy and kind of overkill...it's probably possible to have this kind of setup on a real engine but these are most likely fake and don't work as it's a movie car, they are just there to look cool.
The War Rig looks to have two supercharged engines too but I belive the original diesel is still there and drives the truck as black diesel smoke comes out of the the stacks on some places in the movie.
I remember lots of the cars in the old Mad Max movies that had different carburator, injector and blower setups screwed on to the top of the hoods and was non working.

I was thinking about that at the start of your thread.  I hadn't seen the movie so I hadn't seen the car before. It's a great visual image.  My thought was that in a post apocalyptic time frame one wouldn't have temperamental superchargers, turbochargers etc looking for high octane fuel.  Much more likely to be running old truck diesels that would run on any old used oil or other waste. Or like the old Oldsmobile on Cuban Chrome running an old boat motor.

Been a little under the weather so progress has slowed.  First off here is a link to info on the 1:1. http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/The_Gigahorse

The interior is boxy sheet metal in many pieces so here's a start.

gigahorse_001.thumb.JPG.1693e3d2f56bb33b

The door panel is sheet metal also so all detail was removed and it was extended to the back.

gigahorse_015.thumb.JPG.37c3cb3cf43fc5b8

Also built a pan under the upper trunk and did a quick test fit.  I'm liking it.

gigahorse_017.thumb.JPG.e595f9b294edfb01gigahorse_018.thumb.JPG.0617d612ef8cfcdd

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Ridge Rider