Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mad Max Gigahorse

Ridge Rider

• 2 weeks later...

Look awesome! 

How did you cut those circle so perfect? 

Elyashiv, I just used a circle template then cut them out with scissors and finished with files and sandpaper.

Thanks everyone--It looks like progress is going to be slow this summer because well it's summer:P  I have been working on the exhaust pipes but I still am not sure the best way to hang them out there with a minimal look but optimum strength.  The pipes are 3/8" tapered to 1/4" and 2" long.  I used 3/8", 5/16", and 1/4" tube as the main components.

gigahorse 001.JPG

gigahorse 001.JPG

Edited by Ridge Rider
photos

It never would have occurred to me to fabricate tapered tubes by nesting sections of straight tube and then sanding it down...maybe because I don't have a lathe, but still, awesome idea!!
Thanks for sharing all these WIP details with us.

A guy can never run out of good things to say about this build. When I say- "When you're done with this you should submit the blue prints to a major model manufacturer"- I'm not kidding one bit. Hell, I'll be the first guy in line to buy one!

Edited by mustang1989

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the support everyone.  I'm still sort of taking a summer break but have been messing around with the filter idea.  After many failures I think I have 4 that will work.  I carved the skull detail on the front cap and then did a simple resin cast for the rest. (another first)  I stained the filter with India Ink and added a styrene cap to the back.  They are tough to photograph but it should work.

gigahorse 005.JPG

gigahorse 004.JPG

gigahorse 003.JPG

Edited by Ridge Rider
photos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bueller.................................Bueller.......................................Bueller? Just checkin' in.:D

Thanks for the continued interest in my project guys.  This will not die on my workbench but work is just crazy right now and the days don't seem long enough.  I did manage to get 4 filters that somewhat resemble each other.  I think they will look the part.

gigahorse_001.thumb.JPG.7e47815df312390a

Thanks again,  Steve

Edited by Ridge Rider
photos

• 2 weeks later...

Those air filters look great, the skull is such a cool touch. KEEP IT UP!!

Thanks again everyone.  It has been a year since I stumbled into this project just wondering if I could replicate the tires and wheels with the supplies in my stash.  It has already exceeded my expectations and expanded my abilities.  I love that with this hobby.  I am hoping to dedicate most of my winter on this project but have to put in the bill paying work now.  I am looking forward to getting back into this project again with the the focus and attention it needs.  Thanks again,  Steve

• 2 weeks later...