Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mad Max Gigahorse

Ridge Rider

Thanks for taking the extra time to post all of the great WIP photos.What a glorious mess you make,styrene flying everywhere,making 10 of this piece and  12 of that one,Scratch building heaven !!

Edited by misterNNL
dumb mistake(again)

Thanks everyone.  I've taken some PTO to rest my tired body and it is allowing me more bench time this week.So some more in progress photos. I drilled and pinned everything I could on the engines to make all the future fabrication and mockups easier.

gigahorse_009.thumb.JPG.6d691960d48e93ea

I think I might have a little more room between the blocks than it should.  I will have to see how it all comes together. The air intakes are still in progress and I found some parts box carburetors that were a little bigger and had some better detail than the Camaros.

gigahorse_005.thumb.JPG.c49afdc17736b23c 

And just for fun-the modified caddy compared to the Camaro.  I'm so glad I put the extra work in the engines.  They were a challenge but also fun to do and should greatly benefit the final look of this beast.

gigahorse_002.thumb.JPG.1ba24499109d2f8c

Thanks for the support.  Steve

Edited by Ridge Rider

Thanks everyone. I have some in progress updates.  I can't say this was one of the more enjoyable parts of this build.  The headers- They are a bit rough yet and need some cleanup but I will be happy to move past them.

gigahorse_003.thumb.JPG.0204cbd0fe11d1e6

So I have been thinking about the conical air filters and the best way to replicate them.  The only thing I could find online were the Shapeways 3D printed parts but the dimensions were wrong.  So I thought I would experiment with the spine of a book.  I took a simple paperback book and removed the cover and sanded the spine down to the glue.  I cut out a 3/8" section and gave it a wedge cut as close to the spine as possible and then superglued  it to some rod styrene.  I tried several, which are the top row but there just seemed to be too many pages.  So I searched through hundreds of books to find thicker pages.  This is the lighter single filter in the middle.  It was very hard to cut and when wrapped on the rod it had uneven filter element spacing. So I watered down some wood glue and brushed it in the spine of  every other page making the first attempt 200 page book now 100 pages.  This is the bottom filter.  I think there is some promise here.  I will keep messing with it but I think it now has the look and I hope I can make 4 that look alike.

gigahorse_006.thumb.JPG.965480eaa81b833fgigahorse_008.thumb.JPG.c48df4b17ec0f6d2

Thanks for the support.  Steve

Edited by Ridge Rider

Thanks for the support everyone and I will do a how to on the filters after I have a finished example.  I have been working my way forward to get the front axle mounted but I needed the engine, gearbox, and trans established to dictate the placement of the shock towers. I ran out of tube for the lower radius rods but the axle is established and it is finally a rolling/static chassis.:)    I have the bump stops and stabilizers to build yet but a nice milestone has been reached.

gigahorse_002.thumb.JPG.1c8c5258be479059gigahorse_006.thumb.JPG.3df4f207d354bb4bgigahorse_007.thumb.JPG.3c51ed5f216c792agigahorse_008.thumb.JPG.92b505d1669a0b4cgigahorse_013.thumb.JPG.fc70b336dd1211bdgigahorse_018.thumb.JPG.5678bcf2debb84cc

Thanks for looking. Steve

Edited by Ridge Rider

Thanks guys, I like that meme. :lol:  I finished the stabilizers and bump stops and did a dry fit.  They should work. 

gigahorse_014.thumb.JPG.f012b79cf61ef312gigahorse_008.thumb.JPG.5e22874425681b9f

I found some parts box semi radiators and I'm in the process of building the intercoolers. The top right is the first one coming along.

gigahorse_003.thumb.JPG.457f57ce64bfda9d

Thanks for looking. Steve

Edited by Ridge Rider
photos