Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell snap Peterbuilt converted to a tridem May 2016 update

Jarda, Jonathon,

Thanks for stopping by..

The motor will get more dirt and grime . And I am relearning somethings as I go.

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

Another small update,

I now have the second cab almost ready, filled in the roof holes for one air horn and two of the clearance lights on one cab

The cab on the right has the round rod plugs to fill in the exhaust mounting holes.

If the weather cooperates today I may get some color on the cabs?

Be Well

Gator

DSCN3089[1].JPG

Edited by gatorincebu

They look great Sir. Have fun painting.

Jonathan

Its is Friday morning here . I have until Sunday evening to get some paint on the cabs and hoods .

ON Sunday evening we are leaving for a surfing trip. Will be back 29 October.  Good time for paint to cure.

Be Well

Gator

Here is a little update,

The tool box dry fit and some expanded mesh between the frame rails. And the big fuel tanks from A Revell Pete.

DSCN31021_zpswq1ryvcf.jpg

Now for your opinions. I am trying to decided on which fuel tanks to use, The Stock snap kit tanks.The large Revell Pete tanks Above

or the square DAf tanks below?

DSCN30971_zps6cweuudj.jpg

DSCN3098[1].JPG

Your ideas and opinions are welcome

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

Gator, i think you should go with the 100 gallon revell tanks, at least i think they are 100 gallon....the stock ones look too old forfor the year of the truck in my opinion. Lookin good though, i like the mesh and the headache rack!

Thanks Sam, i am still not sure which ones I will use on the tridem, the single drive will most likely get the Square DAF tanks. Just to be different.

be Well

Gator

Gator, i think you should go with the 100 gallon revell tanks, at least i think they are 100 gallon....the stock ones look too old forfor the year of the truck in my opinion. Lookin good though, i like the mesh and the headache rack!

X2!

I think round tanks do look better on Peterbilt. If you strip the chrome off just make sure to check alignment of the two halves. Sometimes the locking pins do quite the opposite and it´s better to cu them off. I hope you know what I mean. My English is funny sometimes.

Many thanks to those you offered their opinions on the choice of fuel tank for this build. i will use the large Revell tanks on the tridem and on the single axle I will use the Square DAF tanks. The twin screw will most likely get a larger tank than comes with the kit.. I won't be at the workbench for two weeks or so. But I will be checking the Forum and posting daily if possible Be Well Gator

• 2 months later...

My editing skills are not the greatest  This picture was supposed to be further down the page.

Here is a mock up of the winch .

DSCN3112_-_COPY_(2)_-_Copy.thumb.JPG.727DSCN3112_-_COPY_(2)_-_Copy.thumb.JPG.727

I have been wanting to update this thread  for a while now. This build has morphed into three trucks now. All Petes.The Tridem ,the resultant single drive. And a standard dual drive.

The other two are in various stages. The tridem, is what I have spent the most time on. I cobbled together a winch for the read cat walk the parts came from the Revell Euro lowboy.

DSCN3102.JPG

DSCN3110.JPG

DSCN3111 - COPY - COPY.JPG

Edited by gatorincebu

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Everyone,

I made a little but more progress today. Got all three cabs and hoods painted, Only one needs a little touch up.

On the tridem.I changed my mind on using the Revell Peterbilt tanks. I found some from an AMT general kit that I like better.  I also found a hydraulic tank from the Gravel trailer kit, to use with the winch. I am pretty sure I will use the long tread [late rear fenders from a Revell Alaska hauler.

Now I need your opinions. On the front bumper. Should I go chrome ? Or strip it and paint it?

ok now for the photos of the mock up.

This will be the last update until the middle of February.

Be Well

Gator

Going surfin!

DSCN3121.JPG

DSCN3122.JPG

DSCN3123.JPG

Edited by gatorincebu

Cool idea gator I like it

Thanks Rich ,i am just kinda making this one up as I go . got somethings I want to try out . To see if they work and how they look.

I know that having two Pete Tridems going at the same time might be confusing people. I know I get confused all the time!! lol

Be Well

Gator

Hi Gator,

I'm real interested in your mods and enjoy checking out your progress.  I like!

Question:  The rear long fenders, did you make these to fit 3 axles?  Were they originally for a 2 axle setup?

Also since you asked above, if you don't mind me sticking my head out a bit, it looks like this will be a real workhorse.  Maybe a big chrome bumper up front will be out of place?  I'd say if the wheels are painted, then the bumper too.

Michael

Hi Gator,

I'm real interested in your mods and enjoy checking out your progress.  I like!

Question:  The rear long fenders, did you make these to fit 3 axles?  Were they originally for a 2 axle setup?

Also since you asked above, if you don't mind me sticking my head out a bit, it looks like this will be a real workhorse.  Maybe a big chrome bumper up front will be out of place?  I'd say if the wheels are painted, then the bumper too.

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for your interest in this project .

The long rear fenders came from the Revell of Germany Alaska hauler Peterbilt kit. But I don't think it would be too difficult to make a set ??

I am leaning towards a painted bumper, possibly with the big heavy push bar hook up plate.

Just my 2 cents, but I'd take the front bumper and lightly scuff it with 0000 steel wool. A very light touch will create a worn bumper, fitting of a working truck. This will dull the chrome , but leave a satisfying appearance. 

Jeff, I had thought about using the steel wool trick. I had considered spraying it with some dull cote however . I will most likely end up painting the bumper and fenders all the same color.

I am still thinking of going with red, but black and grey are also options.

Anyway I will have a month to think about it.

Be Well

Gator