Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell snap Peterbuilt converted to a tridem May 2016 update

Well i have finally got a temporary workbench set up. And have a couple of projects I am working on.

This one will be the Revell snap Peterbuilt converted to a tridem. Going to change out the fuel tanks, battery boxes, And I may put some straight stacks on her.

Also thinking  about some long diamond plate rear fenders, possibly run up ramps. and a different taillight board and mud flaps. Wheels and tires from Italeri

DAF Cattleman kit.

Pictures coming soon as my camera just went South in a big way, and the few pics I had are lost in cyberspace.

be Well

Gator

DSCN3121[1].JPG

Edited by gatorincebu

Can't wait to see what you come up with, Gator.....

lol Thanks JT. I got my point and shoot camera back yesterday. So I will take some pics this weekend. The my other problem is sorting out the Photo bucket thing and then posting the pics here. Why do they keep fixing things that ain't broke???

Be Well

Gator

Gator, IT techs are like politicians. They need to keep fixing things in order to keep justifying their jobs and to ensure job security! The system works fine, so now they have nothing to do...............lets FIX it!

Exactly! I will eventually get it figured out..........................................about the time they change things again?????

As for the model, i have my music tuned in and I am making progress, working on bits and pieces. I filled the slot hole on the battery boxes, I might still use the kit ones. Or I will go to the parts bin. Haven't decided on what tanks I will use yet. I may use the older AMT Peterbilt tanks.

Well back to the bench

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

lol Thanks JT. I got my point and shoot camera back yesterday. So I will take some pics this weekend. The my other problem is sorting out the Photo bucket thing and then posting the pics here. Why do they keep fixing things that ain't broke???

Be Well

Gator

Try this: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/106180-photo-posting-problems/

Greetings ,
                      Well I have finally found my " roun to it !"  And gotten a temporary workbench set up. And I decided to start on a fresh kit.
  My choice ,the Revell Snap Peterbilt . Which I am converting to a tridem.
    Now this is not going to be a replica of any particular truck. And I am going to use quite a bit of modelers license.

The first thing I did was to cut the chassis to add the extra drive axle.  The donor truck will become a short wheel base single drive.

DSCN30671_zpsshlnouk4.jpg

With the chassis stretched. I decided to cut the sleeper off and make this one a daycab. I did in a rather crude way. Reminiscent of the old 70's era van that were converted to a pick up truck. Where the unwanted body area was removed and the hole was filled with plywood.
    I did not use plywood. But you get the idea.
    Also I removed that ugly tab that holds the battery box in place.  I filled it in with plastic , and the whole thing will be stripped and painted , then the steps will be chromed ? Not exactly sure what I want to de here,

DSCN30761_zpstbuupk04.jpg

For a headache rack chain locker .I got one from the Revell Peterbuilt  glue kit.
  I filled in the back. And once the chrome is removed.It will be sprayed with a chrom paint.

DSCN30731_zpso8dwqa42.jpg

In order to make posting this easier for me. Once I got my Photobucket straightened around. I posted this in another Forum. Then copied and pasted it here!

So at least now I can post photos.
     Comments and criticism welcome

Be Well
    Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

Carl, Clayton, thanks for looking in. So far I am having some fun with this build.

No new pics yet, But I just painted the motor and the four air tanks. But I grabbed the wrong can of yellow paint for the motor.! duh!!!!! Oh well ,

it will just have to do. ;-)

Be Well

Gator

Jarda,

Thanks for stopping by. Yes I have been wanting to do that for quite some time now. That and removing those ugly seams on the fuel tanks and other pieces. I have decided I am going to paint the windows black from the inside. i don't like the interior on these kits and you can't see it anyway. So I will devote my time to others tasks.

Be Well Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

Sean , Gordon,

Thanks for your interest . I am having fun with this build so far . It feels really good to be back to building .

Yesterday, I got a little  bit of paint sprayed on the chassis . Before I started hanging air tanks and things. The chrome parts are in the Simple green being stripped.

The airbags on the drive axles have been painted and then taped off. So now the axles can be sprayed .

The colors are a bright yellow ( the can says medium yellow ?) . I bought it cause it looked kinda like a Cat yellow on the color top. Not even close . The cab and chassis will be yellow  And a nice red  for the fenders. It should come out looking pretty good? But we will see!

But I am fighting the urge to put more projects on the bench ! As it stands right now I have two out of three Snap Petes open and started . And a couple of other projects that keep saying  "Build me! ".

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

I am having a difficult time trying to update this thread.

I removed on of the horn mounts on the roof and also eliminated the drivers side exhaust stack . The corresponding holes have been pluggedor, filled
   and sanded.

I will close this and try once more to post an update.

Thanks for your patience.

Be Well

Gator

•  

Shoutbox

Th

•  

Shoutbox

Th

Now maybe I can get it right this time.

The top half of the motor, which will be weathered after it has been installed.

DSCN3083[1].JPG

The bottom half  with the first layer of weathering , left and right side views.

DSCN3084[1].JPG

DSCN3085[1].JPG

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu