Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Stutz Racer Started

Johnt671

No large issues yet. I got to prime some of it yesterday and found I needed to to do a little more putty and sanding work. I hope to start painting colors today. I had to do some sanding on the hood to get a better fit on it. The kit took some sanding to remove flashing from the edges.

I primed most of it today, which really made the details pop up. This is a pretty nice model. I got the motor all puttied and painted so I can start detailing it tomorrow. If I don't spend to much time at the doctors office maybe some color will show up.

Ive never done a model with the wheels and tires, how would you paint them?

I primed most of it today, which really made the details pop up. This is a pretty nice model. I got the motor all puttied and painted so I can start detailing it tomorrow. If I don't spend to much time at the doctors office maybe some color will show up.

Ive never done a model with the wheels and tires, how would you paint them?

20151005_1519201_zps1dugjhjg.jpg

20151005_1622511_zpshpqe6xvp.jpg

20151005_1623341_zpskrdwbwc5.jpg

Wheels same red as body with silver tabs on the rims. White tires. Engine should probably have a green block. Plenty of reference material available online.

I searched for and found Harry' s beautiful job on this kit. I did some more painting on it today, and with rain coming tomorrow I can start on some of the detail work.

So far.

I'm using a n acrylic mahogany wash to get some wood color, and it needs another coat, If I don't like the finish after that I'll try some thing else. Any suggestions? Also a trip to Michaels and the auto parts to find the green paint for the motor.

Looks really good what you're doing.  I'm watching the build..

Here's one that I picked up at a model show about 20 yrs ago.  It was already built and I think I paid 2 bucks for it.  I would like

to build another one in white as Barney Oldfield raced - eventually!!  ( as you can see this one full of dust from sitting on a shelf )L1160214.thumb.JPG.232c557ba388c2d5b92ad

Thanks Miatatom. I picked this up today to try.

The picture is fuzzy, but it's thin sheets sheets of birch. I've never worked with it before, but the lighter shade should look nice on the red body. I also got green paint for the motor and a brown sharpie for the leather straps. I think the birch wood will work out nice because the seats look to far forward and low compared to the full pictures I found.

Some progress, but not as much as I'd hoped. I became a grandpa for the second time today, so I was a bit distracted.

Painted the motor a more correct shade of green instead of black.

Started on the wooden dash using the birch plywood sheets I picked up.

Tried to paint a wheel, hard for me with my unsteady hands, and started on the grill/radiator piece.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughters home made resin guages worked out OK. I added some guage decals to add detail, they are more modern than the car, but they work OK I think.

Front end shot.

I made a basic firewall out of the plywood, and did some paint details on the engine.

The other side of the engine.