Model Cars Magazine Forum

Farpro's ancient Saiun, Out of Box

As most of you know, I do tend to favour the oddballs and obscurities of modelling, both in terms of subject matter and manufacturer. Well, this one’s definitely a win in both departments!

When I was in one of my local shops in the winter, the owner had dug out a bunch of Farpro kits. These are just the “export” version of the ancient Aoshima kits from the early ‘60s. I’d never heard of them, but there were a number of interesting planes in there, like the A7M Reppu and the C6N Myrt. Since I didn’t want to pay $40+ for the Sword kit, I opted for the $8 Myrt. I got what I paid for!

Check out this ancient relic here, and breathe a sigh of relief that you don’t have to build it. It’s on my bench now, so I can say with authority that it’s a rather big dog of a kit. Lots of work in there, but I do so love me a loser!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/farpro-172-c6n-saiun-myrt-oob/

Farprol Saiun (OOB) 001.JPG

Edited by Faust

Sometimes these old crock kits can be the MOST fun!

My advice: Don't go crazy trying to detail the cockpit, gear well, etc. Just Snake-slap it together, fill all the seams, lay a decent paint job on it (hand-brushed?) and have FUN with the thing! B)

Sometimes these old crock kits can be the MOST fun!

My advice: Don't go crazy trying to detail the cockpit, gear well, etc. Just Snake-slap it together, fill all the seams, lay a decent paint job on it (hand-brushed?) and have FUN with the thing! B)

I agree wholeheartedly! 

I don't like to superdetail things at all, so you know what, I think I'll do just what you suggest. 

I'll probably air brush the paint, although I have been known to do it by hand in the past. I think it's going to be fun to see what tricks I can pull to bash this blob into something even halfway respectable. 

I have tonnes of better kits, but these oldies really call out to me!  Does that mean I have a problem?

• 5 months later...

Sometimes, slamming together an old dog of a kit, can be a great deal of fun.

I agree. 

Although, I will admit I like to try and bring ancient kits up to at least semi-modern standards. Enough that people see it and try and figure out which kit it is. That's one reason I like to rescribe panel lines. Even if they're not perfect, the recessed lines are the mark of a newer kit, and that tends to thow people off.

Still, not worrying about superdetailing or even correcting flaws is very refreshing. 

You can make amazing dishes with apples, but you can also eat them right off the tree, right?