[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
chuckyr

Future Possible Moebius Semi Trailer Kit?

Recommended Posts

On 4/28/2019 at 1:06 PM, chuckyr said:

I'm hoping that Revell or  Italeri will offer a current modern tractor to go with this trailer and other modern trailers. Maybe a Freightliner Cascadia, Kenworth t680 or t800 or t880 or a Western Star 4800.

 

16 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I agree 100% , we need , or I should say , it would be nice to get some new modern tractors .

I also agree with this, and also some modified reissues of some older but still "modern" trucks as well. Italeri could easily make a Freightliner Classic XL from their recently reissued FLD 120 kit with very little new tooling needed and also convert their Peterbilt 378 to a 379 or 389 with very little new tooling also. I would also love to see Revell reissue the Beall tanker, many tanker companies are running those to this day. 

Though I don't really care for the T8 series from Kenworth, I have a few builds in mind that could use those cabs, but also since the cabs are the same a modern W900 could also be another kit alternative as well using the same base tooling. 

Also to add a little to the "wish list", a little more modern rotator wrecker would be on my "must buy" list! Sure, the rotator in the Pete wrecker is nice, but a 50 ton rotator in some cases is considered "small" by today's 60 and 75 ton units, and also the NRC sliding rotator is missing in the scale market entirely. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chuckyr said:

At the NNL, Revell was asking for your wish list.  I emailed Revell Germany with several requests and I got a rather detailed response from them about the requests I made were too "exotic" as they described them, but viable possible future subjects. I suggested road paver, cold planar machine and asphalt roller in 1.25th scale kits. Revell said they first need to do some new "trucks, excavators, payloaders, figures etc."  I then made several truck tractor and trailer requests on the Revell Germany FB page and got several immediate likes from Revell.  I think there might be some new American trucks in the future from Revell and Italeri.

 

BTW, I would like to see a Cascadia 116" BBC

 

2014-freightliner-cascadia-t-a-mid-roof-

I am all for a Cascadia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like the new front end on the latest Cascadia Freightshaker too !

 

 

19c0003_054_edit_1365x624.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

:-)

579_primaryy.png

 

1-24-scale-Peterbilt-579-model-by-NEW-RAY-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'd be hip to the 579 as long they offered a daycab version too. I prefer vocational oriented kits for the wide range of applications that can be done. I pounded Moebius' FB page several times for a Workstar kit as well as IH/Case tractors and implements.

 

Edited by mountaindewd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, mountaindewd said:

I'd be hip to the 579 as long they offered a daycab version too. I prefer vocational oriented kits for the wide range of applications that can be done. I pounded Moebius' FB page several times for a Workstar kit as well as IH/Case tractors and implements.

 

Tim Ahlborn's work.

24zknsj.jpg

Edited by chuckyr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:21 PM, mountaindewd said:

I'd be hip to the 579 as long they offered a daycab version too. I prefer vocational oriented kits for the wide range of applications that can be done. I pounded Moebius' FB page several times for a Workstar kit as well as IH/Case tractors and implements.

 

It's going to be a monumental task to get Moebius to make any more trucks IMHO.  Listening to Dave at NNL East the ProStar's sales were extremely weak and only recently did it sell "out" to the point a spot run for further stock was deemed necessary.  5 YEARS is a looooong time to have something linger around like that.  Whatever the next project would be, it would have to be a heavy seller with the "multi-use" requirement as far as kit variants go.

The flatbed trailer can go behind any truck, and is the first modern flatbed since...the AMT Fruehauf in the 70s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

It's going to be a monumental task to get Moebius to make any more trucks IMHO.  Listening to Dave at NNL East the ProStar's sales were extremely weak and only recently did it sell "out" to the point a spot run for further stock was deemed necessary.  5 YEARS is a looooong time to have something linger around like that.  Whatever the next project would be, it would have to be a heavy seller with the "multi-use" requirement as far as kit variants go.

The flatbed trailer can go behind any truck, and is the first modern flatbed since...the AMT Fruehauf in the 70s?

1086296-13099-78-pristine.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

It's going to be a monumental task to get Moebius to make any more trucks IMHO.  Listening to Dave at NNL East the ProStar's sales were extremely weak and only recently did it sell "out" to the point a spot run for further stock was deemed necessary.  5 YEARS is a looooong time to have something linger around like that.  Whatever the next project would be, it would have to be a heavy seller with the "multi-use" requirement as far as kit variants go.

The flatbed trailer can go behind any truck, and is the first modern flatbed since...the AMT Fruehauf in the 70s?

 

In other words,  put a ProStar and a LoneStar in your stash now before they are gone forever -- in case there isn't another "spot run".   Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The LoneStar sold well. Wider appeal I guess. Plus it’s the recommended base kit for the Auslowe kenworth T904 conversion kit. I just hope they can eventually produce a more popular brand. 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

 

In other words,  put a ProStar and a LoneStar in your stash now before they are gone forever -- in case there isn't another "spot run".   Thanks.

 

No, there is a planned reissue of both for this summer. Probably July, depending on when it actually hits the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chuckyr said:

1086296-13099-78-pristine.jpg

Yeah I guess I didn't think I needed to specify NORTH AMERICAN in that...apparently I was wrong. <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

It's going to be a monumental task to get Moebius to make any more trucks IMHO.  Listening to Dave at NNL East the ProStar's sales were extremely weak and only recently did it sell "out" to the point a spot run for further stock was deemed necessary.  5 YEARS is a looooong time to have something linger around like that.  Whatever the next project would be, it would have to be a heavy seller with the "multi-use" requirement as far as kit variants go.

The flatbed trailer can go behind any truck, and is the first modern flatbed since...the AMT Fruehauf in the 70s?

Didn't you say it was going to be a monumental task to get another truck or trailer kit after the first Moebius truck subject issues?  

Anyway, the fact is, big rig kits will never sell as many as Corvette or Camaro model kits.  The cost of producing them is many times, which means they cost a lot more to sell.  And the pure fact that there aren't that many big rig modelers as there are those that will buy 1960 and 70 car subjects.

I would say many big rig modelers only use them as a back drop to the car models.  A race car hauler, a modified truck hot rod, a Smokey and the Bandit truck to match the Firebird, etc.  And many just want a truck to match the truck they work with.

Personally, I never bought the Lonestar kit.  I thought it was ugly.  I have several Prostars.

I have been told by toy and hobbies industry experts that the USA is a small portion of the world hobby market.  

To add, all of the truck model builders I read that say they want new subjects, by the time the kits are offered on the shelves, the first thing they complain about is that they are too expensive.  You are just not going to get any new tool detailed large scale kits for cheap.  

Also, I have been told that Europeans buy more of the Italeri American truck kits than Americans.  

The model building demographic is not like it was in the 50s, 60s and 70s.  Adults buy these things today.  Those above 30 years old!

I agree that they key is to find subjects that will appeal to the broadest model enthusiast.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chuckyr said:

Didn't you say it was going to be a monumental task to get another truck or trailer kit after the first Moebius truck subject issues?  

Anyway, the fact is, big rig kits will never sell as many as Corvette or Camaro model kits.  The cost of producing them is many times, which means they cost a lot more to sell.  And the pure fact that there aren't that many big rig modelers as there are those that will buy 1960 and 70 car subjects.

I would say many big rig modelers only use them as a back drop to the car models.  A race car hauler, a modified truck hot rod, a Smokey and the Bandit truck to match the Firebird, etc.  And many just want a truck to match the truck they work with.

Personally, I never bought the Lonestar kit.  I thought it was ugly.  I have several Prostars.

I have been told by toy and hobbies industry experts that the USA is a small portion of the world hobby market.  

To add, all of the truck model builders I read that say they want new subjects, by the time the kits are offered on the shelves, the first thing they complain about is that they are too expensive.  You are just not going to get any new tool detailed large scale kits for cheap.  

Also, I have been told that Europeans buy more of the Italeri American truck kits than Americans.  

The model building demographic is not like it was in the 50s, 60s and 70s.  Adults buy these things today.  Those above 30 years old!

I agree that they key is to find subjects that will appeal to the broadest model enthusiast.

 

The thing is Moebius expected the ProStar to be the bread and butter sales leader of that tooling, and instead it's been wet flatulence in a sanctuary.  It's going to be hard to convince them to go ahead with another expensive project, when the last expensive project didn't sell well at all.  The trailers (dry & reefer) have sold well, so the flatbed isn't that much of a reach since it could conceivably be pulled by pretty much every single 1/25 truck kit ever created.  In 1:1 trucks there might be a few in truly historical truck world that would want to mate an old truck to a period trailer, but most guys with "vintage" ('60s-'80s) working show trucks are pulling modern equipment behind them since they're - still working.  

I also suspect the thing that kills Italeri's sales in the U.S., other than their hit and miss distribution, is the higher price of their kits (compared to Moebius) & shipping costs of a large truck kit when you buy it mail order. When you had a company that was swirling the drain (Hobbico) in charge of getting your kits out to U.S. Hobby shops it made them somewhat hard to come by if you didn't have a WELL stocked LHS.  I know my own has gotten a LOT more Italeri kits in since Hobbico is no longer their distributor in the past year, than they did in the previous 5 years before that.  Europeans buy more Italeri American truck kits, because it's simply easier for Europeans to acquire Italeri kits period.

Lastly I'd say that Italeri in general seems to believe they have a market in truck kits in Europe & Asia based on the constant reissuing of their older kits, along with the two completely new tooled Euro Truck kits they've made in the past two years.  Someone's spending money on trucks, it's just apparently not cheap Americans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta get me a few of them when they come out!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The thing is Moebius expected the ProStar to be the bread and butter sales leader of that tooling, and instead it's been wet flatulence in a sanctuary.  It's going to be hard to convince them to go ahead with another expensive project, when the last expensive project didn't sell well at all.  The trailers (dry & reefer) have sold well, so the flatbed isn't that much of a reach since it could conceivably be pulled by pretty much every single 1/25 truck kit ever created.  In 1:1 trucks there might be a few in truly historical truck world that would want to mate an old truck to a period trailer, but most guys with "vintage" ('60s-'80s) working show trucks are pulling modern equipment behind them since they're - still working.  

I also suspect the thing that kills Italeri's sales in the U.S., other than their hit and miss distribution, is the higher price of their kits (compared to Moebius) & shipping costs of a large truck kit when you buy it mail order. When you had a company that was swirling the drain (Hobbico) in charge of getting your kits out to U.S. Hobby shops it made them somewhat hard to come by if you didn't have a WELL stocked LHS.  I know my own has gotten a LOT more Italeri kits in since Hobbico is no longer their distributor in the past year, than they did in the previous 5 years before that.  Europeans buy more Italeri American truck kits, because it's simply easier for Europeans to acquire Italeri kits period.

Lastly I'd say that Italeri in general seems to believe they have a market in truck kits in Europe & Asia based on the constant reissuing of their older kits, along with the two completely new tooled Euro Truck kits they've made in the past two years.  Someone's spending money on trucks, it's just apparently not cheap Americans.

If price is your concern, than big rig models may not be the hobby for you.  I'm sure the Revell version of Prostar and Lonestar cost more in Europe than it does in the US.  You said that the Prostar didn't sell well, but the Lonestar did.  Obviously more chose the Lonestar over the Prostar.  

I thought a modern Freightliner would have been more popular, but either way more complain about the lack of new kits than actually go out and buy them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1
13 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The thing is Moebius expected the ProStar to be the bread and butter sales leader of that tooling, and instead it's been wet flatulence in a sanctuary. 

Revell Germany reboxed that truck just like the Moebius Lonestar, probably expecting the same performance, but instead, it tanked big time, a national toy store here, blew them out for less then €25 a pop, while the MSRP was €69.99.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chuckyr said:

If price is your concern, than big rig models may not be the hobby for you.  I'm sure the Revell version of Prostar and Lonestar cost more in Europe than it does in the US.  You said that the Prostar didn't sell well, but the Lonestar did.  Obviously more chose the Lonestar over the Prostar.  

I thought a modern Freightliner would have been more popular, but either way more complain about the lack of new kits than actually go out and buy them.

I'm not sure if you're referring to me or the global "you", as I have both of the Internationals, both of the trailers, and several of the Italeri U.S. truck reissues. Along with a handful of the Round2 truck reissues, so I'm certainly not against spending money, nor have I ever complained about the price of any kit.

I did my part and supported the new kits, but I can't make anyone else buy them, nor force Moebius to invest in a new truck kit if sales won't support it in their view. The American hobby is, if nothing else, very backwards looking. If "X" didn't sell well, then "Y" of the same subject matter will not either. It's the reason why we've still never had a modern pick up truck kit outside of the two SnapTite Raptors because of that one time back in 1998 all 3 domestic companies at the time did effectively the same F-150. Everyone's sales stunk, ergo no pick up truck will ever be successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2015 at 10:13 PM, Petetrucker07 said:

Don't get your hopes up on Moebius sending it out into public with 2 holes.

It's gonna have the option of Super singles and a curved deck to simulate an unladen trailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chuckyr said:

It's gonna have the option of Super singles and a curved deck to simulate an unladen trailer.

The super singles better just be an "option" and not the only wheels in the kit, because count me OUT if super singles are the ONLY choice. No rig in my collection will ever have that junk on them!

 

As for a few other of the comments made here recently, in my honest opinion the Lonestar did better than the Prostar because the Lonestar is just a better looking truck overall and the Prostar just doesn't have the typical owner/operator appeal as the Lonestar. Sure, if you build fleet style trucks, the Prostar would be the one to fit the mold so to speak, but most builders I personally know and/or see posting here prefer the owner/operator style of truck. My opinion on the price point comment is this, saying rigs aren't a big seller because they are more than a car kit wouldn't be true when it comes to domestic manufactures like AMT and Revell, because at least in the shops I frequent a typical car kit is hovering right around the $30 price range and the truck kits are usually only $5 more or at the most $10, and if you shop at Hobby Lobby and are intelligent enough to use the 40% off coupon a rig would be right around the $20 range. Of course Italeri and Revell AG kits are going to be more, but that is to be expected as long as one realizes it costs money to ship them across the pond as a finished product. I also disagree that most truck builders are building them as "backdrops" or just as a truck they drove, I myself have a few kits that were of trucks I drove over my almost 20 year career and one is a resin conversion, but that doesn't mean I'm necessarily going to build it as one of the 1:1s I spent time behind the wheel of. There may be some that do build trucks as their ride or a backdrop, but I would say that would be more the minority than majority. Lastly, my opinion on US trucks by Italeri selling better across the pond than they do here would be the same reason Italeri sells their European truck kits here, they are something that is uncommon and that you don't see on an everyday basis. Another factor with that also is that for the European market and the fact they may never have seen one of the US trucks Italeri kits represent may not know how inaccurate Italeri's US trucks actually are being designed to use a common frame and engine, with the exception of the Peterbilt kits of course.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, highway said:

The super singles better just be an "option" and not the only wheels in the kit, because count me OUT if super singles are the ONLY choice. No rig in my collection will ever have that junk on them!

The super singles are the only option.  Sorry, more kits for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2019-05-07 at 4:38 AM, niteowl7710 said:

 Europeans buy more Italeri American truck kits, because it's simply easier for Europeans to acquire Italeri kits period.

Lastly I'd say that Italeri in general seems to believe they have a market in truck kits in Europe & Asia based on the constant reissuing of their older kits, along with the two completely new tooled Euro Truck kits they've made in the past two years.  Someone's spending money on trucks, it's just apparently not cheap Americans.

 

14 hours ago, highway said:

The super singles better just be an "option" and not the only wheels in the kit, because count me OUT if super singles are the ONLY choice. No rig in my collection will ever have that junk on them!

...Lastly, my opinion on US trucks by Italeri selling better across the pond than they do here would be the same reason Italeri sells their European truck kits here, they are something that is uncommon and that you don't see on an everyday basis. Another factor with that also is that for the European market and the fact they may never have seen one of the US trucks Italeri kits represent may not know how inaccurate Italeri's US trucks actually are being designed to use a common frame and engine, with the exception of the Peterbilt kits of course.  

Regarding the Italeri truck kits...I stopped buying truck kits from them at least 20 years ago with a couple of exceptions, the Volvo VN 780 when it came out and the Peterbilt 378, the reason I don't buy them is the very few versions of trucks they offer as most of their European truck kits are two axle single drive tractors, and the vast inaccuracies of the kits as most of them haven't been updated in many years except for cabs and some other parts, the rest can be up to 40 years old and it doesn't look right on a more modern truck, and the lack of right details on some things like wheel hubs, wheels and such.
I have just seen a couple of pictures of their new tooling Volvo kit and it looks like they have updated the last one to more modern specs...FINALLY...but it's still a boring two axle single drive tractor....so more versions please before I buy anything more from them and they have to be accurate...otherwise they will not get any of my money.
Italeri have to realize that all trucks in Europe aren't two axle tractors...there are lots of other versions out there too that lots of people likes to build, and it gets very expensive when you have to get at least one kit or maybe two, and lots and lots of aftermarket stuff to be able to build the truck you want.

So I have only US truck kits in my stash as it is now because I have allways liked the look of them and I don't have to get as much aftermarket stuff to be able to build what I want.
I also would like to see more modern American truck kits and not just the Pro Star and Lone Star, and there are several I can think of that I would buy if they were offered...and of course more trailers.

 

The wheels on the new Moebius trailer looks to be dual mounts to me, at least on the one they have showed recently, so I also hope that's is correct...super singles doesn't make it in my book either...steer wheels yes...but not on drive axles or trailers. 

20190427_094837.thumb.jpg.fde16584fb64819ec55b6ff6b0595e30.jpg

Edited by Force

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Force said:

 

Regarding the Italeri truck kits...I stopped buying truck kits from them at least 20 years ago with a couple of exceptions, the Volvo VN 780 when it came out and the Peterbilt 378, the reason I don't buy them is the very few versions of trucks they offer as most of their European truck kits are two axle single drive tractors, and the vast inaccuracies of the kits as most of them haven't been updated in many years except for cabs and some other parts, the rest can be up to 40 years old and it doesn't look right on a more modern truck, and the lack of right details on some things like wheel hubs, wheels and such.
I have just seen a couple of pictures of their new tooling Volvo kit and it looks like they have updated the last one to more modern specs...FINALLY...but it's still a boring two axle single drive tractor....so more versions please before I buy anything more from them and they have to be accurate...otherwise they will not get any of my money.
Italeri have to realize that all trucks in Europe aren't two axle tractors...there are lots of other versions out there too that lots of people likes to build, and it gets very expensive when you have to get at least one kit or maybe two, and lots and lots of aftermarket stuff to be able to build the truck you want.

So I have only US truck kits in my stash as it is now because I have allways liked the look of them and I don't have to get as much aftermarket stuff to be able to build what I want.
I also would like to see more modern American truck kits and not just the Pro Star and Lone Star, and there are several I can think of that I would buy if they were offered...and of course more trailers.

 

The wheels on the new Moebius trailer looks to be dual mounts to me, at least on the one they have showed recently, so I also hope that's is correct...super singles doesn't make it in my book either...steer wheels yes...but not on drive axles or trailers. 

20190427_094837.thumb.jpg.fde16584fb64819ec55b6ff6b0595e30.jpg

I think Italeri is offering the most common version of a European drive train configuration on their European truck model kits.  Maybe 6x2 is standard, with other drives versions optional. 6x4 is by far the most common configuration in North America, so it would make sense for Italeri to offer a 6x4.  

If Italeri wanted to offer the most common truck tractor current on US roads, it would be the Freightliner Cascadia.  The Prostar, along with the Volvo VN series are also common.  Peterbilt tractors in fleets are not as common as you would think.  And to my unscientific  observations, I see more new Kenworth T680 on the roads than new Peterbilt 579.  

Super single wheels are common on spread axle aluminum flat bed trailers these days, due to weight considerations.   I don't know about the drivability and maintenance or the look of the actual vehicle.  I like the look.

 

East-Aluminum-BST-II.jpg

I still think Italeri and Revell will announce something new as far as American trucks and trailer before the end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or they could release the Brand New Autocar just revealed . Now thats a beautiful truck IMHO but I wont hold my breath..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now